RegisterDonateLogin

Always keep refrigerated. In carbonite.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Hostage Shield Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 9:27:21 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

If Cad Bane with Hostage Shield is next to a Tantive IV Trooper and he makes the Trooper take damage for him, was the Trooper killed by an enemy (Cad's Hostage Shield) or an ally (the original attacker)?
Caedus
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 10:01:24 PM
Groups: Member

FlyingArrow wrote:
If Cad Bane with Hostage Shield is next to a Tantive IV Trooper and he makes the Trooper take damage for him, was the Trooper killed by an enemy (Cad's Hostage Shield) or an ally (the original attacker)?

This actually came up in a game against Deri in Chicago's Regional. I used Hostage Shield to put damage on BB8 which killed him. The way we played it, was that since it was Cad's SA that ultimately defeated BB8, Chewbacca was allowed to use his Retaliatory Barrage. The reasoning makes sense, but I would like to get an official ruling.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 7:23:09 AM

I think it would count as being killed by an enemy. The trooper is not taking damage from an attack, but from a SA, right?

Bodyguard actually comes to mind. When a bodyguard takes damage, they only take the damage, they are still not the target of the attack - any effects like Jolt still apply to the original character. And you can't spread damage indefinitely with a Bodyguard, because when a Bodyguard takes damage they are now being damaged by the Bodyguard SA and not the original attack - if they were being damaged by the "attack," you could chain bodyguards together indefinitely. Hostage Shield seems to be worded very similarly to Bodyguard, just it requires a save.

That's how I would read it, anyways.
theultrastar
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 10:24:11 AM

I think it would count as being killed by Cad Bane. Which makes sense, he's moving you in front of the damage so he doesn't take it. That being said, good question Flying Arrow!
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 10:33:01 AM

Bombad Gungan is probably the appropriate precedent. (Thanks, Jason, for pointing it out.) But I don't know the answer for Bombad Gungan either.

They're similar because for both Hostage Shield or Bombad Gungan:

* It's the original attacker's damage as opposed to new damage generated by a special ability (like Lightsaber Reflect)
* Can redirect to either an ally or an enemy (and maybe there are different answers for an enemy versus for an ally)

Bodyguard is also like Bombad Gungan, but the fact that Bodyguard is voluntary may make a significant difference. Bombad Gungan seems more similar.
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 10:47:34 AM

It is a very interesting question, indeed.

And yes, it is "involuntary Bodyguard" for purposes of how the character taking the damage can respond (if at all).

I took the question to the rules committee, though I'm fairly confident on what the final ruling will be.
theultrastar
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 12:08:23 PM

Does Energy Shield fall under this question as well? If you shoot an enemy and the dmg is reflected did the enemy with energy shield kill the attacking character or was it the attacking character?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 12:15:16 PM

theultrastar wrote:
Does Energy Shield fall under this question as well? If you shoot an enemy and the dmg is reflected did the enemy with energy shield kill the attacking character or was it the attacking character?

Energy Shield and Lightsaber Reflect generate their own damage, so I think it's clear that the character with Energy Shield would get credit for the kill in that case:

"Energy Shield Glossary" wrote:
When this character or an adjacent character is hit by an attack from an enemy that is not adjacent to either, that character takes no damage and the attacker takes damage equal to the prevented damage; the attacker can avoid this effect with a save of 11.

The original damage is prevented, then new damage (in the same amount as the original damage) is dealt to the attacker.

For Hostage Shield, it says it's the original damage from the attack.
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 1:09:32 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:

The trooper was killed by the original attacker.

Caedus wrote:

This actually came up in a game against Deri in Chicago's Regional. I used Hostage Shield to put damage on BB8 which killed him. The way we played it, was that since it was Cad's SA that ultimately defeated BB8, Chewbacca was allowed to use his Retaliatory Barrage. The reasoning makes sense, but I would like to get an official ruling.

Per the above, Chewie's barrage would not trigger.

As with Bodyguard, the damage is transferred by an ability, so things that would trigger when hit or attacked do not go off, but the source of the damage does not change.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 3:28:51 PM

Makes sense. Thanks.