RegisterDonateLogin

Life is short. Yoda is shorter.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Calista Force Spirit/ Avoid Defeat Options
shmi15
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2017 7:25:53 PM
Groups: Member

Can I choose to make my Avoid Defeat saves, before using her CE?

Also does Unleash The Force Work if Calista dies by her CE?

FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2017 7:56:17 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

shmi15 wrote:

Same trigger ("would be defeated"), so you should be able to choose which order you want to resolve the two effects.

Quote:

Yes - that awkward wording on her CE just means that the character is *really* defeated and it's too late to Avoid Defeat or otherwise save them because they're already considered off the board. It's like the wording for Tactics Broker. Thank WotC for the awkward wording and the fact that it's technically "incorrect". Because Self Destruct (for example) still goes off if you sacrifice something with the MTB. If you really took the character off the board before they were considered defeated, then SD shouldn't work. The wording is just the way to say that you can't avoid the defeat.
shmi15
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 2:37:47 PM
Groups: Member

FlyingArrow wrote:
shmi15 wrote:

Same trigger ("would be defeated"), so you should be able to choose which order you want to resolve the two effects.

Quote:

Yes - that awkward wording on her CE just means that the character is *really* defeated and it's too late to Avoid Defeat or otherwise save them because they're already considered off the board. It's like the wording for Tactics Broker. Thank WotC for the awkward wording and the fact that it's technically "incorrect". Because Self Destruct (for example) still goes off if you sacrifice something with the MTB. If you really took the character off the board before they were considered defeated, then SD shouldn't work. The wording is just the way to say that you can't avoid the defeat.

Are you sure about the Tactics Broker? I was under the impression " removed form the game" doesn't allow you to use any SA?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 2:48:38 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I agree with your logic, but the ruling is from the WotC final FAQ:
http://swmgamers.com/PDF/Rules/StarWarsMinis_FAQ_WotC_Final.pdf
Quote:

Q: When a character is removed from play, and counts as defeated, what happens with abilities like Avoid Defeat, or Self-Destruct?

A: The character is removed from play, so it cannot take advantage of any effect that would prevent it from being defeated, however, other effects that trigger when a character is defeated, like Self-Destruct, would still occur.

As far as I can tell, the "remove from play" wording just means that you skip the second half of step 12 in resolving effects (the part about preventing defeat).