RegisterDonateLogin

Is a one-man wrecking crew.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Mercenary Options
keet fisto
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2018 10:35:42 PM
Groups: Member

How does this work with replace turn abilities like furious assault? Can FA be used if the merc has line of sight on an enemy?

What about intuition?
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 12:06:13 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

keet fisto wrote:
How does this work with replace turn abilities like furious assault? Can FA be used if the merc has line of sight on an enemy?

What about intuition?

Merc rules prevent FA (moving required) if the merc has LOS to an enemy at start of turn.

Intuition potentially allows a Gotal Merc (for example) to move out of LOS before its turn, and if so it can FA freely on its turn assuming it's still out of LOS when it takes its turn..
keet fisto
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 12:53:20 PM

Does mercenary not affect intuition movement?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 1:05:40 PM

keet fisto wrote:
Does mercenary not affect intuition movement?

No, because you can't attack during Intuition movement.

Glossary (just for ease of reference):

Quote:
This character can move only if it has no legal targets to attack from the space where it starts its move. (However, if it first defeats an enemy with a single attack and cannot then attack any others, it is free to move afterward.) If it moves into a position where it can attack, it does not have to end its movement there.

FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 1:15:36 PM

I actually checked the FAQ first this time and no mention of it. So a quick question.

If a Mercenary that doesn't have Double Attack kills an enemy, can it move even if there's another legal target in line of sight? It doesn't have have a "legal target to attack" since it can't attack. It first defeated an enemy with a single attack and it "cannot then attack" another target because it only gets one attack per turn. It seems like he shouldn't be able to move, mainly because we always just understand that Mercenaries are terrible. But I'm not sure how we should read the glossary there.
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 2:11:41 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
I actually checked the FAQ first this time an no mention of it. So a quick question.

If a Mercenary that doesn't have Double Attack kills an enemy, can it move even if there's another legal target in line of sight? It doesn't have have a "legal target to attack" since it can't attack. It first defeated an enemy with a single attack and it "cannot then attack" another target because it only gets one attack per turn. It seems like he shouldn't be able to move, mainly because we always just understand that Mercenaries are terrible. But I'm not sure how we should read the glossary there.

I would read it as yes, it fulfilled the requirements.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 3:23:14 PM

Maybe mercs aren't as bad as I thought.

What if they have Double Attack and GMA. If they needed both attacks to kill an enemy could they move afterward, assuming there's another enemy in line of sight.
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 4:45:20 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:

What if they have Double Attack and GMA. If they needed both attacks to kill an enemy could they move afterward, assuming there's another enemy in line of sight.

Heh, I thought about that right after my prior reply. I had a feeling you would go there. Tongue

Speculating a bit, since there is zero FAQ coverage Unsure , but I would view that situation more or less the same way. There is no reference to LOS in either card text or glossary. Legal target(s) is what matters. No legal target, you can move. (say a cloaked enemy or whatever)

But also, if you can't attack because you're out of attacks, but have a legal target, then what?

Interesting. Like you, I hadn't really thought about it because of 'Mercs are terrible' bias. Laugh

All that said, I guess I'm a bit unclear what the intent was. Maybe one of the old guard has an anecdotal answer.
keet fisto
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 10:24:40 AM

swinefeld wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

Heh, I thought about that right after my prior reply. I had a feeling you would go there. Tongue

Speculating a bit, since there is zero FAQ coverage Unsure , but I would view that situation more or less the same way. There is no reference to LOS in either card text or glossary. Legal target(s) is what matters. No legal target, you can move. (say a cloaked enemy or whatever)

But also, if you can't attack because you're out of attacks, but have a legal target, then what?

Interesting. Like you, I hadn't really thought about it because of 'Mercs are terrible' bias. Laugh

All that said, I guess I'm a bit unclear what the intent was. Maybe one of the old guard has an anecdotal answer.

So what's the official ruling on this? If you're out of attacks but still have movement available and have other legal targets, can you move?
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 2:45:27 PM

keet fisto wrote:
swinefeld wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

So what's the official ruling on this? If you're out of attacks but still have movement available and have other legal targets, can you move?

edit: scratch that... still unclear
keet fisto
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 10:05:33 PM

"Card Text

This character can move only if it cannot make an attack from its starting space"

If it uses all its attacks it can no longer attack, ergo, it can attack. No?
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 11:27:10 PM

Answer, after Rules Committee discussion:

If a character with Mercenary has any legal targets from its starting position, it cannot move unless they are all eliminated before movement.

So, it doesn't matter if you're out of attacks.