RegisterDonateLogin

If you've never had Bloo Milk before, you won't have never had it again.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

The =Power 8= Jedi in the Old Republic Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 9:46:05 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

There was discussion in another thread about the proliferation of good but not amazing mid-cost Jedi in Old Republic. "Power 8" in the thread title just means they're an 8/10: good and playable but not something you build a squad around. I wanted to take a look at them and thought I'd post it publicly. So here they are... starting with melee Uniques (cost 15-40) that you could slot into just about any squad. These are the damage-dealer options. I have some comments on the tech options, but that's not really what I want this thread to be about.

I don't think there are any Power 10 Jedi in this cost range that aren't primarily tech (Covenant Defender and Bastila, who is power 11). Vodo and Satele are among the best, but probably power 9. Ven up at cost 46 might be a power 10. Jury's still out on him, but he's not part of this thread anyway.

I tagged some of them for some roles they can fill:
(bigmove): Can move 10 or more squares in a round and still deal damage (without being granted a bonus attack from the Old Republic Senator).
(scissors): Kill a bunch of enemies in one turn without requiring the enemies to conveniently clump up together all next to you. (I.e. Triple Attack or Lightsaber Sweep by itself doesn't count.)
(tank-buster): Unpreventable damage, auto-failed saves, or big direct damage to get damage onto highly-defensive enemies.
(bighit): Just about all of the characters that made the top half of the list can GMA-Double or Twin or Lightsaber Assault. With Bastila, that means they're almost all doing 60+ damage on the move. So for this tag, they need to be able to do at least 70dmg on the move or 90dmg standing still. Either way, it should go over 100dmg in a phase with a Senator. Note that some characters with this tag require additional synergy (e.g. Prideful from Valenthyne) to reach that much damage.
(defense): Has (built-in) some sort of shooter-defense (Stealth, Cloaked, or save-based damage evasion) and some sort of melee-defense (LS Duelist, save-based damage evasion). Lightsaber Defense checks both boxes. This tag isn't as valuable as it sounds since Arca Spirit or a Holocron can give them Lightsaber Defense anyway, but you can save some points if it's built-in. Force Bubble also checks both boxes.

Unique "Power 8" Jedi:
Sylvar, Betrayed Jedi 25: (scissors) (bigmove) Furious Burst is her coolest trick.

Shoaneb Culu, Jedi Knight 28: (bigmove) (defense) Low-cost Twin attacker with Pilot and Force Sense. Matches especially well with shooter squads and other Pilots, but potentially strong enough to drop in anywhere. Eligible for Speed 8 with Pilot and can Move Faster to get 10 squares and then attack.

Kerra Holt 29: (scissors) (bigmove) (defense) Her big tricks are Rolling Attacks and Force Pull. Force Pull closes the gap to hit an enemy 12 squares away in one turn, and Rolling Attacks is unlimited movement as long as there are scrubs to kill. Suffers from low attack if she doesn't get her Loner bonus.

Xesh 32: (tank-buster) Really good stats and Force Lightning 4 to light up a Soresu Style Master tank.

Vima Sunrider 33: (tank-buster) (bigmove) Sokan for unblockable damage in the right circumstances. Plus 16 square Charging-Twin.

Kira Carsen 34: (bighit) Leaping Triple attacker. She might be a half notch below the other options listed up here.

Ulic-Qel-Droma, Jedi Knight 34: Just a solid set of stats and abilities, but nothing really unique.

Satele Shan 37: (bigmove) (bighit) (defense) Good chance she's a Power 9 piece. Bodyguard, Parry, and Intution-Double-Cunning are her big tricks. Intuition-Double-Cunning-Bastila is good for up to 80dmg at the top of the round after moving 6. Or Intuition-move-Cunning for 12-squares of movement and an attack.

Jedi Master Vodo-Siosk Baas 38: (bigmove) (bighit) (defense) Good chance he's Power 9, too, but too new to know for sure. Force Weapon gives him built-in 30dmg, and Bastila gives him 80 on the move with Twin. 10-square range with Knight Speed. 170 in a phase on the move with Bastila and a Senator.

Not making the cut (too weak, too techy, or too specialized):
Crado, Jedi Apprentice 18: probably power 7. Worse than the ones above, but the cheapest Unique Jedi in OR, so he might find his way into a squad if you're specifically boosting Unique Jedi and he's the only option that fits in the points you have left.
Squint 20: WotC piece. Power 6, maybe?
Krynda Draay 20: Pure tech piece.
Master Q'Anilia 23: Power not yet determined, but is very niche - boosts specific pieces and has a Rival for Bastila so that means this piece can't just slot into a squad so easily. Can cancel a Force power used before the first activation of a round.
Cay Qel-Droma 28: WotC piece. Power 6 or so.
Visas Marr 29: WotC piece. Solid Power 7. Good for a WotC piece, but Shoaneb pretty much replaces her as the go-to Force Sense piece. She's a bodyguard, though, so might find a slot in a squad that wants another Jedi and really needs to protect something.
Arfan Ramos 30: Super-stealth guy. He's power 8 or more and playable, but not a guy you can just slot into a squad like the ones above. If you aren't using his super-stealth he probably isn't worth it.
Mical, the Disciple 30: Power 7 healer. Maybe a 6.
Tott Doneeta 31: Might be power 8+. I'm not sure I've seen anyone really push his limits and test it at a regional. But his big trick requires a Savage and you pretty much have to build a "Tott Doneeta" squad if you're using him.
Bastila Shan, Jedi Master 33: She's pretty good, I hear. But is definitely a tech piece.
Arca Jeth 35: Tech. Good movement breaker, but not 35 points good. Would've been a good addition with bad stats and cost 15-20. Then again, that's about what his ghost is, and the ghost is Power 9 or 10.
Odan-Urr 35: Not a bad attacker, but you play him to get a second turn for a big beat stick. Might be Power 10 someday if somebody figures out a killer combo with him, but probably Power 7 for now. Maybe an 8. But he's tech anyway so down here he goes.
The Jedi Exile, Hero of Onderon 39: Tech. The reason you play her is for her CE and to hand out LSDefense.

FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 9:47:24 AM

Now the non-Unique Old Republic Jedi, again looking at the mid-cost melee Jedi (cost 15-40).

Non-Unique "Power 8" Jedi:
Mirialan Jedi Knight 20: (defense) Twin and Acrobatic lets her get around pretty easily. Needs an Attack boost, though.

Padawan on Swoop Bike 20: (scissors) (bigmove) It's a shooter, so I wouldn't normally put it on the list. But it's such a bad shooter (10dmg/single attack), that it's only decent if you use it for its range-12 LS Sweep with a Large base. Probably decent for its cost, but it's so much worse than the similar Sith Uvak in the same set that I think it looks bad by comparison and is never played.

Jedi Shadow 23 (bighit): Lightsaber Flurry for 80dmg on the move with Bastila. Plus provides door control.

Covenant Hand 26: (bighit) Barely makes it to the top half of the list. Dark Temptation+Bastila for 100dmg standing still, plus serves as door control. Has LSAssault, too, for 60 on the move. But overall will usually lose out to the Twin Attack options if damage on the move is the primary need (e.g. Shoaneb, Mirialan, Vima).

Green Jedi 26: (defense) Stealth, Twin, LSDefense, and is the generic Green Jedi to receive that subfaction's boosts. Probably not going into a "general" OR squad without some Green Jedi boosts.

Jedi Battlemaster 27: (defense) THE WotC non-Unique for the faction. Probably still playable even though nobody does. Nothing special here - just solid stats and abilities.

Jedi Seer 27: The anti-flight, anti-strafe piece that found its way into a GenCon winning squad. At this point, would only be played for a very specific meta (like if you know for sure Lancers or Speeders or Boba or Jango are going to dominate).

Arkanian Jedi General 30: (bighit) (defense) A lot of tech, so I'd normally put this sort of piece down in the bottom half, but he's so solid as an attacker that you might put him in a squad even if he doesn't get his Prideful going. 80dmg on the move with his Prideful or with Bastila. But needs an Attack boost if he doesn't get Prideful. You're much more likely to see him in a dedicated Soldier squad than in a Jedi squad, though.

Green Jedi Commander 30: (bigmove) (bighit) Twin Attacker that can smack an adjacent enemy if a nonadjacent enemy hits him. GMA single-Twin sets him up to play nice with The Exile's Extra Attack. Can be 120dmg on the move if played with Exile+Bastila. With Surprise Move, has 12 (or 14 with Move Faster) square range in a round.

Covenant Protector 31: Twin Attacker with good stats, especially after Covenant Synergy.

Army of Light Jedi Lord 32: (bigmove) (bighit) (defense) Eligible for Valenthyne's Prideful and Bastila at the same time. MotF2 to move 10 and hit for 40dmg x2. Or if you don't need to move, Force Burst 4 for some guaranteed damage.

Corellian Jedi Lord 36: (bigmove) (bighit) Along with the Arkanian Jedi General, Green Jedi Commander, and Army of Light Jedi Lord, this makes 4 non-Unique "combat commanders" - commanders who are strong enough fighters in their own right that you might play them just as fighters regardless of their commander effects. This guy's big trick is to be boosted by Bastila and Valenthyne, and then use LSBravdo on top of that for 100dmg after moving 8 (or 10 with Green Jedi Commander's CE). This is also the guy who gives other Green Jedi Army of Light, making them eligible for Valnthyne's Prideful.

Not making the cut (too weak, too techy, or too specialized):
Army of light Consular 15: Tech that hands out Force Bubble to Army of Light.
Jedi Sith Hunter 15: WotC. Bad even for a WotC non-Unique, considering how late he came out (last WotC set).
Jedi Consular 16: WotC. Unplayable single-attacker.
Covenant Consular : Really good tech. Anticipation, Force Sense, Surprise Move, and a movement breaker for Covenant.
Jedi Sentinel 17: I think someone won a regional with 1 or 2 of these within the past couple of years, but I think she still belongs down here in the bottom half of this list. WotC non-Unique that is apparently better than she looks!
Jedi Healer 18: WotC non-Unique. Unplayble healer.
Old Republic Jedi Knight 18: Unplayable Vset non-Unique. Can LSAssault for 60dmg with Bastila, but that +9Attack (after Synergy) isn't going to hit much.
Covenant Executor 19: Almost worth his points as an attacker. Granting Force Leap to allied Force users could make him playable, but it's the tech that pushes him (barely) into being playable so I'm leaving him down here in the bottom list.
Padawan Commander 20: Probably Power 10 in the Republic faction. But is tech in any case.
Covenant Defender 21: Power 10 tech, but only a single-attacker on the move. You might go without one if you aren't expecting a shooter-dominant meta and you trust your other Jedi's Lightsaber Defense rolls.
Jedi Instructor 22: Unplayable WotC commander.
Jedi Crusader 23: Good for one Force Push a game, but you play it to get Revan or Malak into OR.
Jedi Guardian 23: Unplayable WotC non-Unique.
Jedi Watchman 24: Almost playable WotC non-Unique. Power 6 or 7.
Jedi Diplomat 30: 30 is a lot to pay for a single attack on the move. AN is some nice protection, but it's low damage and doesn't boost allies.
Gray Jedi 30: Do you feel lucky? Triple+Bastila+Dark Temptation = potential 150dmg per turn. But only standing still, and Internal Strife+Dark Temptation makes it so likely you lose him. Not for the faint of heart, and that risk is enough that I put him down here in the bottom half. Fun, but not likely to show up in a competitive squad.
Wookiee Jedi 35: Crazy damage potential if your enemy lets you Sweep a group. Twin+Bastila make potential 60dmg to each adjacent enemy. Kill one enemy and one of the others takes a Twin Cleave for 60 more. And Splash on everything, and if one enemy is adjacent to 4 other enemies that could (theoretically) mean another 80dmg from Splash. 200 damage potential, but all theoretical - it wouldn't actually be that high. And the Splash hits himself, too, which is a big part of why he isn't played.
jen'ari
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 11:39:40 AM
Groups: Member

Would it be ok to add Atton Jaq to the list? I know he is not a jedi per se but he is great.

Those are some really fun looking pieces by the way. It is good to see them together. The combinations of different play styles using them can be very fun as well.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 12:06:12 PM

jen'ari wrote:
Would it be ok to add Atton Jaq to the list? I know he is not a jedi per se but he is great.

Those are some really fun looking pieces by the way. It is good to see them together. The combinations of different play styles using them can be very fun as well.

He's power 10 already. If I added him I'd add Carth to the list, too, who is easily power 9. I made this melee list because that's been the topic of discussion... the variety of Power 8 melee Jedi in OR. I almost didn't include the Padawn on Swoop Bike because he's a shooter, but that one's only good if you're using his Lightsaber Sweep so I put him in.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 12:15:05 PM

And here's a list combining the mid-cost "Power 8" Jedi. Both Uniques and non-Uniques, by cost, without the comments and without the techy or bad pieces. Just to see what all the options are in one list, by cost:

Mirialan Jedi Knight 20 (defense)

Padawan on Swoop Bike 20 (scissors) (bigmove)

Jedi Shadow 23 (bighit)

Sylvar, Betrayed Jedi 25 (scissors) (bigmove)

Covenant Hand 26 (bighit)

Green Jedi 26 (defense)

Jedi Battlemaster 27 (defense)

Jedi Seer 27

Shoaneb Culu, Jedi Knight 28 (bigmove) (defense)

Kerra Holt 29 (scissors) (bigmove) (defense)

Arkanian Jedi General 30 (bighit) (defense)

Green Jedi Commander 30 (bigmove) (bighit)

Covenant Protector 31

Army of Light Jedi Lord 32 (bigmove) (bighit) (defense)

Xesh 32 (tank-buster)

Vima Sunrider 33 (tank-buster) (bigmove)

Kira Carsen 34 (bighit)

Ulic-Qel-Droma, Jedi Knight 34

Corellian Jedi Lord 36 (bigmove) (bighit)

Satele Shan 37 (bigmove) (bighit) (defense)

Jedi Master Vodo-Siosk Baas 38 (bigmove) (bighit) (defense)
jen'ari
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 2:55:12 PM

I would love to see a new Cay Qel-Droma!
Also covenant defender costs 21.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 6:56:37 PM

jen'ari wrote:
I would love to see a new Cay Qel-Droma!
Also covenant defender costs 21.

I have him listed at 21. The Protector is 31, though.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2018 8:05:43 AM

Just had a couple of ideas to help out the OR. They have a ton of solid mid-range pieces that are almost there. It's not even a flaw with the pieces per se, just the fact that they don't synergize with each other as well as say, Ganner and Mara, or General Skywalker and Yoda on Kybuck. Satele, Ven, Vodo, Xesh, Ulic... most of the OR's beats are nice on their own, they just don't do anything spectacular together.

The thing is, I don't think more tech is going to solve the problem. They already have boardwide +10 Damage, enemy CE Suppression, and also +3 Attack, hand out Lightsaber Defense, and Force Renewal. They have a bunch of other neat tricks like free Lightsaber Defense uses, and Jedi Battle Coordination, and all that jazz. Giving them another tech piece - even a cheap one - would have to be crazy good in order to make it into a squad.

SO, had a couple of ideas: What if they got Swap? Would that be terrible? Just a 20-point Panaka-type piece with a (boardwide) swap CE. That flies in the face of everything I just said about pure tech not being a good way to go, but I feel like they have some good swap options. Vima + Arfan/Vodo/Kerra + Swap could be a potent squad.

Also, what if we had a Unique piece that was hybrid tech/fighter? I'm thinking something along the lines of having Defender and something like the Sith Blademaster's CE (maybe "At the end of this character's turn, an adjacent ally with a Force rating may make an attack at +10 Damage OR move up to its speed"). I'm thinking 25-35 points. A piece that offers a little extra tech that'll be useful for any OR beatstick, can hold its own in a fight, but also needs to actually be in the fight in order to be useful.

Maybe a Synergy boost that gives +4 Defense to allies with a Force rating within 6 squares. Hey, why not just make it Old Republic allies. Defense isn't worth much these days when Snowtroopers can easily get up to +16 attack; I don't think it'd be unreasonable to have a faction rely on high Defense (like, usefully high Defense, not "Wow, he's got 22 Defense instead of 20. That's gonna be hard to hit.").

The OR has plenty of good pieces, and I'd hate to see us make the OR good by just replacing them with slightly better pieces.

EDIT: Goodness, that went longer than I thought! I'm turning into Koba... just not quite as cool...
spryguy1981
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2018 8:26:02 AM

Isn't the Arkanian 30?
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2018 9:30:58 AM

CorellianComedian wrote:

The OR has plenty of good pieces, and I'd hate to see us make the OR good by just replacing them with slightly better pieces.

what we need is differences in what makes the faction unique.

I dont want OR to become the Republic. Right now they are unique and fun.
My idea for making it competitive would be to have some higher tier pieces that can work with some of the pieces already here.
Tech is another option, but Bastila and OR Senator and Arca are already pretty good tech. I would stick with meaty jedi of some sort or other. We have speed, we have damage boost, we might need some kind of Coordinated Movement between jedi's could be very fun. IDK the answer but I definitely do not want a repeat of another faction.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2018 9:38:57 AM

spryguy1981 wrote:
Isn't the Arkanian 30?

Yep. Thanks. I'll fix it.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2018 11:57:40 AM

Praxeum Instructor

Card Text

At the start of the skirmish Select One Unique New Republic follower with a Force Rating and a lower printed cost. That character gains 1 Force Point and Lightsaber Precision.

this is an ability I created for a piece in the legends set.

Tweak it for old republic and change what it does to make the pieces almost there that little bit better and add a little bit of synchronization like coordinated movement or something like:

Battle Tactics

Card Text

At the end of this characters turn he may switch positions with 1 unique ally within 6 squares who......

CorellianComedian
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2018 12:48:30 PM

jen'ari wrote:
CorellianComedian wrote:

My idea for making it competitive would be to have some higher tier pieces that can work with some of the pieces already here.
Tech is another option, but Bastila and OR Senator and Arca are already pretty good tech. I would stick with meaty jedi of some sort or other. We have speed, we have damage boost, we might need some kind of Coordinated Movement between jedi's could be very fun. IDK the answer but I definitely do not want a repeat of another faction.

I agree! So the question is, how do we make a good beatstick that lets the rest of the cool OR beats see play without just replacing them?

I threw in that idea about Synergy just for fun, but that really could be useful. Maybe a GOWK-like piece (except not meta-destroying). GOWK is so good because (a) you can't kill him and (b) his defense boost means you can't kill anyone else. Some sort of tank with a good Defense boost for OR Jedi would be enough - or at least go a long way - to allowing these OR Uniques to hit the top tables. (I am NOT advocating for more SSM, for those who don't like it LOL). That would actually work really nicely for Kao Cen Darach...
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2018 12:50:37 PM

What's beating OR into the ground to keep them from Tier 1?
surf_rider56
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2018 1:15:32 PM

jen'ari wrote:
CorellianComedian wrote:

They Should be fun and Unique. See, here's where I think we're missing the boat. The OR were around "for over a thousand generations." Almost by definition, since the OR spans so much time compared to the Republic, Imps and every other force using faction, shouldn't they have a Lot of Jedi with unusual force powers; what was rare during the Republic should almost be everyday in the OR.

FlyingArrow wrote:
What's beating OR into the ground to keep them from Tier 1?

Is it simply a weakness vs shooters? They had to deal with a strong Mando Faction; The Sith had equally strange powers available to them compared to the Imps? The OR should be stronger than the Republic or the Rebels ... why aren't they the #1 Faction? (Just piggybacking what you said Arrow) Is their ranged support in-faction just too expensive? Relying on fringe support, is it too expensive vs in-faction versions that other Factions have?
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2018 1:24:57 PM

I like your thinking about unique force powers in OR.

I think what beats OR is just power level. Rebels have a similar long list of power 9 pieces and power 10 tech.

Bastila is power 10 but not in the same way. It is still dependent on squad build. for instance Bastila vs some Mando squads is perfectly fine (think Kelborn, Vidicated, Jango'lore) while Rieekan is still going strong against the same thing.

Imperials is same type concept. 32 points for opportunist, master tactician, and swap all in one piece that costs the same. On top of that the faction has support tech (full board swap, out activation).

I guess my point is that for OR to combat it it will need to continue to get power 9 or 10 TECH pieces that support the power 8.5 jedi or it needs some power 9.5 jedi. One or the other will have to happen for it to break into tier 1, imo.

and here is a great force power that we still do not have a version of

(Force 3: Replaces attacks: 30 damage to all characters within 3 squares. Characters within 3 squares are considered activated this round; save 11.)
shmi15
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2018 1:35:37 PM

OR just need more pieces designed to work with each other. The Covenant faction was a nice idea, but what happened? Pieces became to expensive, or no longer went with the Covenant mold. Movement is always key, and why Imps/Rebels/NR/Republic are the most competitive faction. If you look at Republic almost every squad has 2 GREAT movement breakers. r2, and Fould/Panaka/ or coordinated movement.

You have to stop trying to create "that one piece" and just design in unison, and not take a faction with no real character, 100 different ways because designers in different sets view things different.
shmi15
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2018 1:44:56 PM

Almost eveyr faction comes down to movement

NR - Ganner

Rebel - K3PO and Luke

Mando - Kelborn, and the training Sgt

Imps Thrawn/ The Prideful fool

Republic r2, Foul, Panaka, cordinanted commandos

Vong steal the CE

Fringe Talon

Sith Caedus and Revan

OR - nothing but intuition and Surprise Move on a few pieces.

Seps - Pawning and Cad Bane
surf_rider56
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2018 2:06:01 PM

shmi15 wrote:
Almost eveyr faction comes down to movement

NR - Ganner

Rebel - K3PO and Luke

Mando - Kelborn, and the training Sgt

Imps Thrawn/ The Prideful fool

Republic r2, Foul, Panaka, cordinanted commandos

Vong steal the CE

Fringe Talon

Sith Caedus and Revan

OR - nothing but intuition and Surprise Move on a few pieces.

Seps - Pawning and Cad Bane

The only Uniques I can think of that would/should have movement breakers in here are Revan and Satele Shan. V-Setters made an Epic Satele; they should've just made her in the 40-50 point range and given her something. I don't think anybody else would qualify as an uber Jedi, maybe Nomi?
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2018 2:24:24 PM

OR lacks Initiative control, Non Gimmick/T1 scissors pieces, Tier 1 movement breakers and board wide CE's. I used to advocate for range 6 CE's, but that is an unrealistic limitation if we are trying to boost the OR to tier 1. As Swarm squads power is decreased the OR will have a better chance of competing. Anywho, most Tier 1 squads have a couple of things. Movement Breakers, Initiative Control, High Activations, Scissors Pieces(counters the high act squads), Act Control and what not...

They are lacking quite a bit, as long as the meta stays where its been.