RegisterDonateLogin

I thought that Bloo Milk would be the end of me.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT. Options
Jedicartographer
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 10:55:13 AM
Groups: Member

Map Pack 7 is officially on.

To celebrate our 10th anniversary of the release of Map Pack 1, we are releasing a retrospective set of reissues coupled with all new maps!
We are going to release 12 maps total.

The new maps include

Knights Outpost
Swamp Settlement
Beach Crash Site
Lunar Module Alpha (hopefully 1st of 4)

Also possibly 3 maps by Armoredgear7 never before released

Nar Shadda
Geonosis
Jedi Temple

We want to hear from you as far as reissues go

Candidates for update, meaning new art and changes to layout.

From Map Pack 1

Mandalorian Base on Dxun
Taris Undercity

From Map Pack 2

Outer Territory Settlement

From Map Pack 3

Outer Rim Fueling Station

4,5&6 will not be updated just eligible for reissue

Reissue candidates

Map Pack 2
Mustafar
Dark Lord's tomb

Map Pack 3
Jungle ruins a and b

Anything from Map Pack 4

Any of the single maps from map pack 5

Theed
Anchorhead
Smugglers Base
Jungle starport
Peaceful city
Outlaw city
Sinkhole planet
War Academy
Spynet HQ
Cantina
Cliffside citadel
RebeI Fortress
Remote Listening Outpost

I want to know what you all want to see. I'm posting the same info on my FB page for the adventurers atlas as well.

FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 11:18:20 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Jedicartographer wrote:
We are going to release 12 maps total.

The new maps include

Knights Outpost
Swamp Settlement
Beach Crash Site
Lunar Module Alpha (hopefully 1st of 4)

Great to hear!

Quote:
Also possibly 3 maps by Armoredgear7 never before released

Nar Shadda
Geonosis
Jedi Temple

I got Nar Shadda printed on hardboard, but then I have it buried at the bottom of my map box and never pull it out. I've seen images of the other 2 and they look cool.

Quote:
Candidates for update, meaning new art and changes to layout.

From Map Pack 1

Mandalorian Base on Dxun
Taris Undercity

From Map Pack 2

Outer Territory Settlement

From Map Pack 3

How many updates are you looking to do? I wouldn't want to see any updates of any map that's made the Restricted List. That would just cause confusion to have 2 versions out there. But none of the 4 above have been restricted, so that's fine. Of those, I'd be most interested in seeing the Outer Rim Fueling Station updated to eligible for the Restricted list. Such a cool location (Galactic Truck Stop) and the map is almost there. Not enough protection for the starting zones and maybe a little bit cluttered (terrain wise) in the center. But the center may not need to change much at all, actually.

We don't have a map called Outer Territory Settlement. I'm assuming that's Khoonda (with alternate name Dantooine Settlement)? See kezz's awesome guide here: http://swmgamers.com/SWM/Rules/MapList_2014.pdf . That one is pretty far from the Restricted list. An update there might be a complete redesign to make the Restricted list.

Quote:
Reissue candidates

Map Pack 2
Mustafar
Dark Lord's tomb

Map Pack 3
Jungle ruins a and b

Anything from Map Pack 4

Any of the single maps from map pack 5

Theed
Anchorhead
Smugglers Base
Jungle starport
Peaceful city
Outlaw city
Sinkhole planet
War Academy
Spynet HQ
Cantina
Cliffside citadel
RebeI Fortress
Remote Listening Outpost

I have everything so not looking for a re-issue myself. But I would want to see the most popular maps re-issued so everyone can have access to them:

Rhen Var Citadel (Ice World Citadel)
Bothan Spynet (Spynet HQ)

I'd say Theed and Anchorhead but they've both already been printed twice. I'll have to think more about what others I'd like to see reprinted, but those 2 are at the top of the list with a pretty big gap to #3.

Edit:
After Rhen Var and Bothan Spynet, I'd probably say:
Jabba's Palace (Crime Lord's Palace from MP4)
Outlaw City

From MP6 I'd also vote for Gangster's Vault, but I'm biased there.
kezzamachineII
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 11:36:03 AM

WOOHOO!
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 12:01:49 PM

I have everything except Map Pack 1.

I wouldn't mine seeing a couple those updated.
urbanjedi
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 1:46:20 PM

oooh, new maps!!!
General_Grievous
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 1:57:55 PM

Finally a spot of good news against today's madness. Matt thank you for this, you are an amazing human being and we greatly appreciate it! Will this be a kickstarter or direct order?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 2:04:58 PM

I had a lot of discussion above, but in summary if there are 12 maps here are my votes:

The 4 new ones:
Knights Outpost
Swamp Settlement
Beach Crash Site
Lunar Module Alpha

2 of the 3 old maps by ArmoredGear7. (Because I already have Nar Shaddaa and, quite frankly, while it looks awesome it's not great for skirmishes.) So these 2:
Geonosis
Jedi Temple

Of the others I wasn't clear on how many you want to be straight reprints and how many to be updates. But if it's 2 updates:
Khoonda (Dantooine) (and apparently also known as Outer Territory Settlement)

And then 5 reprints:
Jabba's Palace
Outlaw City
Gangster's Vault
Jedicartographer
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 2:05:51 PM

I though I had typed out a reply to some of this, but I guess it didn't post.

I agree with Flying Arrow on so much of what he wrote. I know Rhen Var (Ice Citadel, Whatever) is very popular. I have to admit, it's one of my least favorite maps. It definitely needs an art update, and I'd be uncontrollably tempted to retool the layout.

I'd love to redo the outer rim fueling station.

Khoonda, Outer Rim settlement, whatever. I'll have to give it a non trademark infringing name I suppose. That's one of those maps I forgot even existed until I start going through old stuff. I wouldn't mind revisiting that map and doing some updates.

Although I don't think the re-issues would be necessarily the selling point for this particular community, So many people ask me for copies of that stuff. The real high point will be the new maps and updates of old. They will all be very focused on gameplay. A couple of them are shoe-ins for the restricted list, and hope They can get on the list by spring.

Besides, these things always evolve, and I wouldn't be surprised if stretch goals allow, and overflows of money will allow for another new map to make it's way in the set.

@Jonathan, My pleasure. I hope you enjoy what I'm doing. As always your request has been a huge pain in the butt, but, it's shaping up to be very rewarding. I don't know if it's exactly what you wanted, but I think you'll like what I'm doing. There WILL be a kickstarter, I just want to make sure the reprints are as close as I can to pleasing you all. I'd reprint every single map if I could

General_Grievous
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 2:10:06 PM

Hahahaha you love my challenged Matt. And Crime Lord's palace is the single most balanced map in the game. Only special request from me at the moment is to please make the maps as huge friendly as possible. We need more of those, three wide hallways/open sides of the map to gambit are key
Jedicartographer
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 2:11:39 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
I had a lot of discussion above, but in summary if there are 12 maps here are my votes:

The 4 new ones:
Knights Outpost
Swamp Settlement
Beach Crash Site
Lunar Module Alpha

2 of the 3 old maps by ArmoredGear7. (Because I already have Nar Shaddaa and, quite frankly, while it looks awesome it's not great for skirmishes.) So these 2:
Geonosis
Jedi Temple

Of the others I wasn't clear on how many you want to be straight reprints and how many to be updates. But if it's just 1 update:
Khoonda (Dantooine) (and apparently also Outer Territory Settlement)

And then 5 reprints:
Jabba's Palace
Outlaw City
Gangster's Vault

Gangster Vault is probably not going to make it because I still have an inventory of map pack 6.
Jabba's Palace is a possibility, although that's another map I really don't like.

Rhen Var, with an art update, I could probably imagine that
Bothan Spynet is a great choice

Geonosis and Jedi Temple are almost 100 percent going in. Anything Josh does, especially ones that have never actually been printed up by us, has priority

FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 2:11:47 PM

Jedicartographer wrote:
I agree with Flying Arrow on so much of what he wrote. I know Rhen Var (Ice Citadel, Whatever) is very popular. I have to admit, it's one of my least favorite maps. It definitely needs an art update, and I'd be uncontrollably tempted to retool the layout.

If it's uncontrollable temptation to change the layout I'd say not to bother reprinting it. Rhen Var and Spynet HQ are pretty much canonical at this point. There are plenty of other maps that could be reprinted that never quite made it to Restricted level. It wouldn't matter much if those sorts of maps were changed up. I'd be glad to have Rhen Var and Spynet HQ in the map pack just to have copies to give away to people, but not if it starts causing confusion with different versions. (Artwork update would be fine, obviously.)
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 2:14:36 PM

Jedicartographer wrote:
Gangster Vault is probably not going to make it because I still have an inventory of map pack 6.

Oh, okay. I thought I saw you post on facebook that you were down to your last couple copies.

Quote:
Jabba's Palace is a possibility, although that's another map I really don't like.

I actually don't like it that much, either, but I have to admit it's balanced. And I seem to play on it a lot. I was just thinking of balanced and popular maps that people would like to have access to.

Quote:

Geonosis and Jedi Temple are almost 100 percent going in. Anything Josh does, especially ones that have never actually been printed up by us, has priority

Cool. And I have no problem with having Nar Shaddaa in there, of course. I liked it enough to have it printed up separately, after all. But it's not going to be a candidate for the Restricted list, for sure.
Jedicartographer
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 2:22:23 PM

General_Grievous wrote:
Hahahaha you love my challenged Matt. And Crime Lord's palace is the single most balanced map in the game. Only special request from me at the moment is to please make the maps as huge friendly as possible. We need more of those, three wide hallways/open sides of the map to gambit are key

You are going to LOVE some of the new maps. Huge Friendly indeed. I know how beloved Jabbas Palace (crime lord's, whatever) is. Bill Russell designed that one, if I remember correctly. My big issue is that it's so ugly, and while the layout makes sense for the game, structurally there are some things about that map that are kinda odd to me. Like it makes great game sense, but as an environment or an actual building it's really hard for me to resolve in my head.

But...people love that map. So It's definitely a possibility

BTW, we did a reprint of map pack 4 a couple years ago, and It all sold out. That set has some really great stuff, It was all designed with people who had won Gencon I think. Deri Morgan designed Rhen Var, Aaron Bruekman (I'm sure I'm spelling his name wrong) designed one of them, I think Remote Listening Post, Bill Russell was there, I'm trying to think of who else.

Deri Morgan has actually designed 3 maps that have been released! Jedi Enclave from Map Pack 1, Rhen Var Citadel, and Acolytes Tomb.

Jedicartographer
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 2:24:23 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Jedicartographer wrote:

Oh, okay. I thought I saw you post on facebook that you were down to your last couple copies.

Quote:

I actually don't like it that much, either, but I have to admit it's balanced. And I seem to play on it a lot. I was just thinking of balanced and popular maps that people would like to have access to.

Quote:

Cool. And I have no problem with having Nar Shaddaa in there, of course. I liked it enough to have it printed up separately, after all. But it's not going to be a candidate for the Restricted list, for sure.

I am running low on map pack 6, but I have a lot of stragglers, I think that's one of them. I am going to do an actual inventory on Sunday to see what I'm dealing with. I LOVE that map, so If I do reprint any from Map PAck 6, That will be taken under heavy consideration. Is that one restricted?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 2:28:38 PM

Jedicartographer wrote:
I am running low on map pack 6, but I have a lot of stragglers, I think that's one of them. I am going to do an actual inventory on Sunday to see what I'm dealing with. I LOVE that map, so If I do reprint any from Map PAck 6, That will be taken under heavy consideration. Is that one restricted?

Gangster's Vault was on the Restricted list for a year but then rotated out. Not due to any objections - just because there are now so many good maps that they don't all fit at the same time. Hopefully it will come back on this year or next.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 2:34:57 PM

Jedicartographer wrote:
You are going to LOVE some of the new maps. Huge Friendly indeed. I know how beloved Jabbas Palace (crime lord's, whatever) is. Bill Russell designed that one, if I remember correctly. My big issue is that it's so ugly, and while the layout makes sense for the game, structurally there are some things about that map that are kinda odd to me. Like it makes great game sense, but as an environment or an actual building it's really hard for me to resolve in my head.

But...people love that map. So It's definitely a possibility

Just to clarify... GG is talking about "Crime Lord's Palace" from Map Pack 6 - the one with all the eclectic rooms that the Crime Lord built - like I think a pool, a garden, and a shooting range. It was on the Restricted List for a year but has also rotated out. He mentions it as the best map for huges and said he had a hand in its design.

"Jabba's Palace" (aka "Gangster's Palace") is the one from Map Pack 4. It has also rotated off the Restricted List due to space concerns, but it was on there for a lot of years.

Here's the current restricted list if you're curious, but it will probably change in the next month or two. This is the time of year when the changes usually happen:

Cloud City (WotC)
Dark Academy (Your MP5)
Outlaw City (Your MP3)
Command Deck (Maps of Mastery)
Imperial Plaza (Your MP5)
Commander's Office - aka Ravaged Base (WotC)
Bothan Spynet (Your MP4)
Simulation Deck (Maps of Mastery)
Modular Base (Your League Kit 4)
Great Libarary (Your MP5)
Jedicartographer
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 4:20:36 PM

Oh, right. Yeah. Crime lords palace, Jonathan came up with the basic concept for that, I completely forgot about that he came up with the basic concept for that, I completely forgot about that! That's pretty much his map! I love that map,not the gangsters palace.

Could these names be any less original?

It was a very weird year for me when I was doing that set of Maps. I barely remember it.
Jedicartographer
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 4:28:05 PM

I don't remember much about many of these maps, but looking back at the whole body of work, I can't help but really feel so proud,and so grateful.

Can't believe it's been 10 years.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 5:14:51 PM

Great work. We really appreciate it.
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 5:18:44 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Great work. We really appreciate it.

Definitely!