RegisterDonateLogin

Has been fought over since the formation of the Republic.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Holocrons and =Supplies= Abilities Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 10:47:55 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Do Explosive Supplies and the other Supplies abilities target?

Can you give Grenades and Satchel Charge to a Holocron?
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 1:06:39 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Do Explosive Supplies and the other Supplies abilities target?

Can you give Grenades and Satchel Charge to a Holocron?

Strongly leaning Yes, they target.
Looking for any outliers that may need to be addressed.
Lord_Ball
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 1:24:23 PM
Groups: Member

There is an issue with them "targetting" though.

per the glossary: target

An enemy character chosen for an attack, special ability, or Force power. Line of sight and cover are determined by drawing lines to the target’s space. A square itself can’t be a target.

Are there any ally abilities that specify "target" I know there are "chosen" characters, but even heal only says adjacent living ally removes damage (no mention of targeting).
CorellianComedian
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 1:44:31 PM

Just to add to this post, whether or not a holocron can be Levitated/Towed/Master Lifted would probably be affected by this ruling. Levitation is the only one that could actually be useful in a game, but just thought I'd toss it out there.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 7:39:41 PM

I would say, no, they do not target. The core reason is besides target usually only referring to enemy units, there is no mention of targets or targeting in the definitions of the supplies abilities. It's similar with other healing abilities like Heal and Repair.

I can't really see anything in the rules preventing a player from jailbreaking their holocron and installing a grenade launcher.
DarkDracul
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 10:37:28 PM

Dominate: "any allied character in line of sight is a legal target."

Sith Battle Manipulation: This character can choose 1 target character (enemy or ally) within line of sight,

WotC started introducing SA like Dominate which made allies "legal targets" a long time ago.

When Sith Battle Manipulation came out and Jake started "Targeting allies" and tossing characters around it completely took our group by surprise. There's no wording in SBM saying allies are "legal targets" like Dominate has. Despite our arguments we were told "that's how it works" and it has been played that way for nearly half a decade.

I'd love to see these terms added to reflect how the game is actually being played.

Target Ally -

Targeting an Ally -

Quote:
Glossary Holocron:
This character is a crystalline storage device for Force Powers. It cannot move on its own and does not count as living, a legal target or the nearest enemy.

swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 12:31:00 AM

The many discrepancies with how WotC (and v-sets for that matter) did or did not use target were part of an extensive and fast-moving discussion (hard to keep up with, lol) in the rules committee earlier. The discussion ended with some questions related to this specific still wide open.

My own perspective:

The rule book definition of 'target' covers the (by far) most common usage: attacking enemies, and by extension, 'targeting rules' (los, cover, nearest enemy etc). But WotC added an exception in the 3rd set (Dominate) that targets any character, but differs only in using the word target, vs. Pawn of the Dark Side in the 2nd set. Pawn requires sight (ally only, no mention of 'target'), then Dominate (enemy or ally) also requires sight, but adds that 'targeting' an ally only requires sight. (see rules for line of sight, cover, nearest enemy etc.) All the wording about cover, nearest enemy etc applies to enemies, not allies.

So then, what does 'choosing a character' mean? Outside of pre-skirmish ability resolution (Light Tutor etc), sounds a lot like 'choosing a target', to affect that character in some way. Choose 1 adjacent ally...not using an area effect, you might have several choices, just like you could with Dominate using LOS.

I respect the rule book, but it was never perfect. It's simpler to say that things target unless they specifically say otherwise, or work off range without LOS, or are just blanket area effects hitting multiple characters.

Ack, I forgot Kouhun Infestation as an early example of fail... At some point, most these random inconsistencies just need to go away, but it's hard to untangle the knots at this stage. It seems simpler to just say that things target unless they specifically say otherwise, or if not applicable as mentioned above.

WotC was pretty sloppy with wording, and v-sets have their fair share of this as well. Again, I respect the rule book for how good it is at covering the basics of playing the game, and a few other things, but even the final one (CW) never fixed some issues that were well known. :(

This specific question (interaction with Holos) might best be left to designer intent. (whatever adjustments need to be made)

So there's your non-answer for the time being. Smile
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 7:03:23 AM

That is a very well written out response. So designer intent is let us jailbreak the heck out of these holocrons? Hahaha
shmi15
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:18:21 AM

General_Grievous wrote:
That is a very well written out response. So designer intent is let us jailbreak the heck out of these holocrons? Hahaha

I was told I could not give out Satchel Charge to a Force Spirit. Is there any difference in giving a Holocron Satchel Charge? Or are we now at a point where FS and Holocrons can get grenades,Satchel Charge, and Heal?
EmporerDragon
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 9:35:35 AM

shmi15 wrote:

I was told I could not give out Satchel Charge to a Force Spirit. Is there any difference in giving a Holocron Satchel Charge? Or are we now at a point where FS and Holocrons can get grenades,Satchel Charge, and Heal?

The difference is that Force Spirits never count as adjacent, so they'll never be at an eligible range for the supplies abilities.
shmi15
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2018 7:29:18 AM

So, The wording on Holocron's card

"Cannot move, gain or spend Force points, provide cover, or block movement. Not a legal target or nearest enemy. Not subject to commander effects. On its turn, it may choose 1 adjacent Unique ally with a lightsaber, not chosen by Holocron: that ally may use this character's Force Powers as if its own by spending this character’s Force points; it cannot spend its own Force points on the same turn. After that ally changes position, place this character adjacent to it. If this character has no Force points or no Unique allies adjacent at the end of its turn, it is defeated. On its turn, an adjacent enemy can either spend 1 Force point or replace its attacks to remove 2 Force points from this character."

Darth Baras "(At the start of the skirmish, choose 1 ally named Sith Holocron: that ally gains Lightsaber Throw for the rest of the skirmish"

So "choosing" an ally is not targeting an Ally right now correct? This goes for anything and everything. As long as it says "choose" your not targeting, and can choose someone even if they can not be a target. Yes? No?