RegisterDonateLogin

Unleashed.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

"Name contains" and "counts as" Options
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 6:50:54 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Are "name contains" and "counts as" the same thing?

For example, I have Lor San Tekka and Luke and Leia on Speeder in the same squad. Lor San Tekka's commander effect specifies than an ally whose name contains Luke Skywalker may set up anywhere on your half of the battle map. Luke and Leia on Speeder does not have Luke Skywalker in its name, but in the Unique ability it says that they "count as" Luke Skywalker. Can I set them up anywhere on my half of the battle map?
EmporerDragon
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 9:00:22 PM
Groups: Member

They aren't quite the same thing.

When something refers to a "character named", the character's name must be that exact name. Whereas if it instead says "name contains", then that particular string of characters just needs to be present in the name somewhere.

If a character has an ability that says that the character "counts as", what that does is give them an additional name to use when looking to see if a character meets the requirements for abilities that use named/name contains.

So, with Luke and Leia on Speeder, under Unique, it says "counts as Luke Skywalker and Leia". This means that the mini has three names:
Luke and Leia on Speeder
Luke Skywalker
Leia

Lor San Tekka's CE needs a character whose name contains "Luke Skywalker". While Luke and Leia on Speeder's first name does not meet the requirements, the second name does, and such would be an eligible character for Tekka's CE.
Edit: Wrong answer, see below.
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 9:05:56 PM

So name contains and counts as are the same thing.

Good to know.

but I always thought it was different. Look at Chewie under unique it states Counts as character named Chewbacca.

I always thought that when it specifically states Named ...... that that was different than a normal "counts as"

than there is the case of Tamtel Skreej who has Lando's name as part of the name and under "counts as"
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 9:13:14 PM

To be honest, I always thought they were different as well. Guess I didn't know. So where is this elucidated in FAQs/ Glossary/ Rules?

Also, if that's how it works, can Luke and Leia on Speeder get Pilot from Biggs Darklighter, Rebel Pilot? Biggs' Camaraderie works the same as Tekka's CE (name contains Luke Skywalker). If so, why do the users in the Bloomilk comments on Luke and Leia-
http://www.bloomilk.com/Character/1398/luke-and-leia-on-speeder
-think differently? TJ even goes as far to say that it was intentionally designed so that Luke and Leia would not get Pilot. Are they wrong?
EmporerDragon
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 11:12:17 PM

jen'ari wrote:
I always thought that when it specifically states Named ...... that that was different than a normal "counts as"

Wait, no, you're right. I had completely glossed over that some abilities contain "named" and some don't (gotta love consistency).

So, ignore a chunk of my earlier answer. For the "counts as" part to work as a second name, it needs to specifically call out named in the ability's description.

Probably the best official answer I can find for this is under Rapport in the FAQ, where it points out that while Anakin, Sith Apprentice counts as Darth Vader, a Coruscant Guard does not get Rapport from him.

Quote:
than there is the case of Tamtel Skreej who has Lando's name as part of the name and under "counts as"

I think that was to just really drive home the point that that was Lando, as they wanted to avoid a repeat of the time you could use both Count Dooku and Darth Tyranus in the same squad.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 11:42:40 PM

So Luke and Leia don't get to set up anywhere on your half of the battle map? Thanks, I thought there had to be some misunderstanding, because I was pretty sure that's the way it worked from my experience.