RegisterDonateLogin

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good milk at your side.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Competitive suggestions and Activations? Options
adamb0nd
Posted: Wednesday, June 6, 2018 9:44:56 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Hey,

Planning on doing the championships at Gencon this year. I haven't played in 2+ years, so i'm trying to get my head back into the games. I was wondering if y'all had any pointers or squad building suggestions for someone who is a little out of touch with meta. I'm looking for things like average activation, how melee is holding up in the meta, maybe some auto-includes I need to make sure to use or build counter's to? Any insight is appreciatedBlooMilk!
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, June 8, 2018 3:33:27 PM
Groups: Member

There's not really a lot going on right now apart from Regionals and some events on Vassal.

So in the Events section I'd suggest reading the play reports and taking a look at the top-performing squads. But remember: just because Jason (urbanjedi) wins a Regional with something (this happens a lot!), that doesn't necessarily mean it's an amazing squad...more that Jason is simply an amazing player. :)

And then for Vassal events, take a look at the "World Vassal Regional" threads (one for Play Reports and one for Discussion). Also at the "Fall Vassal Regional" threads. Both of those unfortunately had a toxic argument blow up in the midst of them, but if you can ignore that stuff then you'll find some valuable data for figuring out what people are playing.

Basically, the meta is pretty wide open right now. You don't need a certain amount of activations to compete right now, as long as your squad is fairly well designed. See what people are playing, try to figure out the hidden tricks or synergies, and you're good to go.

Cheers!
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, June 8, 2018 3:38:06 PM

thereisnotry wrote:

Basically, the meta is pretty wide open right now. You don't need a certain amount of activations to compete right now, as long as your squad is fairly well designed. See what people are playing, try to figure out the hidden tricks or synergies, and you're good to go.

minus Daala, you need a counter to Daala. It is a near auto-win against almost all squads. So if you are going to win you almost have to have a counter to Daala. Which sucks because it takes away from your Squad in other ways.

But if you are going to compete and be a tiny bit laid back, sure the meta is open. Lots of people brought tier 1.5 squads to last years gencon.

Shmi15 is looking into a Vassal league that might get you some games in to get back into the swing of things.
oh ya, the vassal tournament is full of tier 1.5 squads so those are not really going to help crazy alot. You can see some really good synergies there though.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, June 8, 2018 8:20:00 PM

Just play last year's winner. Can't go too far wrong doing that. :)
adamb0nd
Posted: Saturday, June 9, 2018 5:49:44 AM

Thanks for the input. I forgot about Dalaa. I remember there used to be a killer Dalaa + slaver/whip squad. Looks like that's been eratta'd out though. Is Dalaa pretty much trooper swarm? How are people dealing with that? A few self destructive pieces?

I was also wondering, i can't find the rules on proxying. I know all v-set pieces are proxied, and as long as your opponent can clearly determine which proxy goes with which card, its fine. However, I was wondering if you can also proxy WOTC pieces? Or are those 1 for 1? Thanks again!
jak
Posted: Saturday, June 9, 2018 7:07:39 AM

obvious advice..........play, play, play, and play some more.
attend in as many regionals as you can.
if you know your squad, inside and out, you'll do well.
shmi15
Posted: Saturday, June 9, 2018 12:32:01 PM

adamb0nd wrote:
Thanks for the input. I forgot about Dalaa. I remember there used to be a killer Dalaa + slaver/whip squad. Looks like that's been eratta'd out though. Is Dalaa pretty much trooper swarm? How are people dealing with that? A few self destructive pieces?

I was also wondering, i can't find the rules on proxying. I know all v-set pieces are proxied, and as long as your opponent can clearly determine which proxy goes with which card, its fine. However, I was wondering if you can also proxy WOTC pieces? Or are those 1 for 1? Thanks again!

1 year someone played an Ewok squad using Teddy Grahams... I don't think anyone will harp on you for proxying anything ;) as long as the opponent knows whats going on.
jak
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 10:28:18 AM

I played vs my lil ponies once. was the stupidest game everThumbDown
wannabe mexican
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2018 6:42:27 AM

While I won't be competing in any competitions, I am building my first squads in a while. This is useful info.
gholli69
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2018 8:53:09 AM

I don't necessarily agree with jenari that you need a hard counter to dalaa. She hasn't been seeing play lately. Maybe that's just because people are waiting to play her at Gencon, but I don't think that's the case. I would be surprised if more than 1 or 2 people play daala at Gencon. I do however agree with TINT that the meta is pretty wide open as most of the regionals have had a pretty good mixture of squads both by faction and number of activations. Obviously things like tempo control and thrawn swap are still really strong game mechanics and I don't see that ever changing, but you don't necessarily have to have hard counters for things like that in the current meta. I also agree with Jak, build a squad that you enjoy playing and then play as many games as possible before you go so that you know how your squad works together and also how it works against different things if you have an opponent who is willing to help out by running things you are worried about facing so that you can see how it does against those specifically, then that's even better.
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2018 9:42:54 AM

Regionals throw off the meta more than predict it. If Daala shows up and there is not a counter to it in some way you are going to lose.
The same as if you run heavy CE's and Bastila shows up.

Regionals are tier 1.5 these days. Ghost Crew is proving to be the best squad in this years "regional season".

I do agree with the sentiment to build something you enjoy and play it a lot.