RegisterDonateLogin

Help me Bloo Milk, you're my only hope.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Blow Doors With Holocron? Options
AceAce
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 12:27:49 PM
Groups: Member

Can you give the ability to blow doors or heal +10 to the Jedi (or Sith) Holocron?
EmporerDragon
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 12:41:43 PM

This has been asked previously and generated a decent amount of discussion.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=22228

Currently, it is allowed to give the holocrons abilities via the "supplies" abilities as there's nothing that says you can't.

droidadmiral
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 12:56:22 PM

that's amazing
shmi15
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 6:42:26 PM

droidadmiral wrote:
that's amazing

So this means I can also give my Holocron Grenades and Relay Orders, and any other ability thats given out like that?
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 7:40:07 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

shmi15 wrote:
droidadmiral wrote:
that's amazing

So this means I can also give my Holocron Grenades and Relay Orders, and any other ability thats given out like that?

The discussion thread linked above never actually answered the question, but I'm pretty sure it was answered later in another post/thread, which I don't have bookmarked RollEyes. I'll try to find it for official confirmation, but pretty much: Yes
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 8:31:19 PM

swinefeld wrote:
shmi15 wrote:
droidadmiral wrote:
that's amazing

The discussion thread linked above never actually answered the question, but I'm pretty sure it was answered later in another post/thread, which I don't have bookmarked RollEyes. I'll try to find it for official confirmation, but pretty much: Yes

And I'm still looking, and finding lots of everything but what I'm looking for, so... no bold font from me is not official.

General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 10:00:57 PM

Heck yes!
jak
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2018 2:31:16 AM

droidadmiral wrote:
that's amazing

that's STUPIDCursing
shmi15
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2018 3:58:16 AM

This is a pretty stupid interaction. I mean, this was not the designers intent correct?

If we can use designer intent to get rid f other stupid things... Can we not use Designer Intent to get rid of this stupid thing?

Does anyone who plays the game think a Holocron should have the abilities to use any ability?
adamb0nd
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2018 4:54:15 AM

shmi15 wrote:
Does anyone who plays the game think a Holocron should have the abilities to use any ability?

I'm a bigger fan of RAW than intent. I guess my biggest concern would be whether it's broken or not over whether it makes sense. I gave up on sense in this game the second I opened the rules for the first time and realized targeting prevented you from lobbing a grenade into an unoccupied square.
General_Grievous
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2018 6:15:44 AM

shmi15 wrote:
This is a pretty stupid interaction. I mean, this was not the designers intent correct?

If we can use designer intent to get rid f other stupid things... Can we not use Designer Intent to get rid of this stupid thing?

I think so hahaha.

Seriously though there have been some pretty crazy holocrons so sure why not.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2018 6:20:32 AM

adamb0nd wrote:

I'm a bigger fan of RAW than intent. I guess my biggest concern would be whether it's broken or not over whether it makes sense.

Same here. Personally, I don't consider it broken, just one of those many weird little rules interactions/loopholes that are in the game, much like how the Wookiee Hunter AT-ST is considered a wookiee for all intents and purposes or how you can have Squint and Malak on the same squad.
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2018 7:42:15 AM

If they had door shatter I wouldn't care.
But some common merchant being able to give a holocron an ability is lame.
A holocron relaying orders is the most lame imo.
A holocron being able to throw grenades is lame. If it was burst lightning I wouldn't care.
Holocron being able to heal... Maybe....

I think we can all agree it is lame and would have been better off not able to do this things.
It is also useful haha. I think people see the usefulness of it. I guess in some way it adds chance of holocron being played.

Question is: is it lame enough to warrant a rule? Imo it is but I would focus my attention on more problematical game mechanics or pieces.

shmi15
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2018 8:17:28 AM

We have had many many rules changes because of designer intent....

So, I think the only question that should be asked, is did the designers intend on this happening. Was there any discussion during the design of these pieces, where a designer said "Hey I think it would be a good idea if the Holocrons could toss a grenade, heal, or relay orders"

If it was never discussed, then it falls under the precedent of Designer Intent not meaning to work this way. If they dd discuss this, show us some snip bits of their conversations, and then we will all know it was designers intent.

Designer Intent has been used in multiple scenarios to change pieces. This piece and this interaction is no different.

So what designers were on this set, and lets hear what they have to say as far as discussion during playtesting and the design.

If it was never mentioned, then it should not work because its not the intent. If it was mentioned, than clearly they designed the piece to work like this and we can move on. Its very simple.
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2018 8:58:15 AM

What are the other designer intent pieces that have changed?

You say it is simple, I guess I don't see it that way. Most of the time it is mount Everest to get a change.

But if there is precedent then that is a different story because the "channel" to get it changed is already there.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2018 9:14:12 AM

Jedi Holocron was Trevor's piece for winning GenCon.
shmi15
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2018 9:44:54 AM

I can't recall what pieces were changed off hand, I'm sure someone else could tell you the designer intent ruling, but it has happened, more than once. So someone all the guy who made the piece of he intended this to happen. If not, problem solved and add it to the fax
swinefeld
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2018 4:50:41 PM

I'm still thinking about this.

I may have found a lead worth following, which I will take to the rules committee.
swinefeld
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2018 9:10:36 PM

swinefeld wrote:
I'm still thinking about this.

I may have found a lead worth following, which I will take to the rules committee.

The current interpretation (Supplies SAs *can* be given to Holos) will not change (if at all) until after Gencon.