RegisterDonateLogin

Come on, admit it. Sometimes you think it's all right.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

named/name contains Options
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 7:00:45 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

http://www.bloomilk.com/Glossary?Id=40

Quote:
named/name contains

Some effects specify characters. A “named” character must match the specified name exactly. A character “whose name contains” the specified words can be any version of *that* character. *emphasis* mine

These effects also apply to characters with a special ability having the specified name. For example, the Ugnaught Boss grants his commander effect to allies with the Ugnaught special ability (such as the Uggernaut).

This stuff gets goofy at times, so please note the bold text above. In the case of a Unique character (ie has a 'persona' in the game) capitalization etc matters.

I could extrapolate that farther into non-Uniques, but I'll leave clarification of WotC's FAQ mess (or how it may have been interpreted at times) alone in that regard, for now at least.

For further reference, this post was about a question on Golden One's CE.

Disagree? Consider it a FAQ or Errata notation on Golden One if that helps. BlooMilk
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 7:29:11 PM

That makes a certain amount of sense (it definitely makes sense that you can't have Trandoshans in your Golden One squad), but that definition of "name contains" seems to contradict other things in the game. "Name contains" does not mean any character with the same unique persona. It means any character with that unique persona who also has a name which contains the exact text specified in the "name contains". Case in point, Luke and Leia on Speeder does not get Pilot from Biggs Darklighter, Rebel Pilot's Camaraderie, because while they have the unique persona of Luke Skywalker, their name does not contain Luke Skywalker and that is the condition on the Camaraderie. Do I have that right?
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 9:08:27 PM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
That makes a certain amount of sense (it definitely makes sense that you can't have Trandoshans in your Golden One squad), but that definition of "name contains" seems to contradict other things in the game. "Name contains" does not mean any character with the same unique persona. It means any character with that unique persona who also has a name which contains the exact text specified in the "name contains". Case in point, Luke and Leia on Speeder does not get Pilot from Biggs Darklighter, Rebel Pilot's Camaraderie, because while they have the unique persona of Luke Skywalker, their name does not contain Luke Skywalker and that is the condition on the Camaraderie. Do I have that right?

If I understand the question correctly (I think I do) you are correct about Luke and Leia on Speeder. Biggs does not specify 'counts as' so the specific naming matters in that case. 'Counts as' for stuff like this needs to be applied very carefully/sparingly in most cases.

My point is that random character-string matching to the name of a Unique shouldn't apply if some random unrelated non-Unique happens to have the same three letters in a row in it's name. It's clearly not another version of that Unique character. That should be obvious, and I'm putting that to bed in Golden One's case at minimum, because I know first-hand that wasn't the intent. BlooMilk
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 9:38:34 PM

swinefeld wrote:
If I understand the question correctly (I think I do) you are correct about Luke and Leia on Speeder. Biggs does not specify 'counts as' so the specific naming matters in that case. 'Counts as' for stuff like this needs to be applied very carefully/sparingly in most cases.

My point is that random character-string matching to the name of a Unique shouldn't apply if some random unrelated non-Unique happens to have the same three letters in a row in it's name. It's clearly not another version of that Unique character. That should be obvious, and I'm putting that to bed in Golden One's case at minimum, because I know first-hand that wasn't the intent. BlooMilk

Yeah, I understand the point about Golden One. I just wanted confirmation that "name contains" requires having, for example, the exact words "Luke Skywalker", like Luke Skywalker Rebel Commando, in the name and not just having the unique persona of Luke or "counting as" Luke, like Luke and Leia on Speeder.

At a tournament not too long ago someone ran the Twins on Speeder in NR with Lor San Tekka, and set up the Twins anywhere on their half of the map (which I was pretty sure wasn't legal as their name does not contain Luke Skywalker). That sort of confusion would probably not be a problem if the glossary definition of "name contains" was more complete, instead of just saying a character whose name contains X is any version of X.
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2018 10:54:51 AM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:

Yeah, I understand the point about Golden One. I just wanted confirmation that "name contains" requires having, for example, the exact words "Luke Skywalker", like Luke Skywalker Rebel Commando, in the name and not just having the unique persona of Luke or "counting as" Luke, like Luke and Leia on Speeder.

At a tournament not too long ago someone ran the Twins on Speeder in NR with Lor San Tekka, and set up the Twins anywhere on their half of the map (which I was pretty sure wasn't legal as their name does not contain Luke Skywalker). That sort of confusion would probably not be a problem if the glossary definition of "name contains" was more complete, instead of just saying a character whose name contains X is any version of X.

Correct, name must contain the exact words, in that order.
The speeder twins do not qualify for Lor's CE
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2020 3:38:41 PM

Well there goes the Malak/Malakili loophole.