RegisterDonateLogin

It's against Bloo Milk's programming to impersonate a deity.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Should we ban/restart the Vong faction Options
shmi15
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2018 5:05:48 AM
Groups: Member

Its been a while since I have seen a Vong squad enter a tournament where something isn't messed up.

Do you think its finally time to do away with them, or snip all the v-set pieces and rebuild the Vong to make them easier to understand 5 minutes before a match begins?

If its taking people 10 minues just to read cards and connect dots on who gives what to who at what time in the game, it creates nothing but a NPE for the opponent, who probably has to ask a question every 5-10 minutes to remember if a character has a new ability or not.
DarthMaim
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2018 6:44:42 PM

Reminds me of the famous Robert Plant song in the 80's. The lyrics went a little like this;

"Bang a Vong, get it on!"

Check this song out everyone! Fantastic guitar riffs ThumpUp
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2018 7:25:23 PM

DarthMaim wrote:
Reminds me of the famous Robert Plant song in the 80's. The lyrics went a little like this;

Um, I think that was T Rex in the early 1970s?
General_Grievous
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2018 7:25:31 PM

Nope. Hahaha. But do whatever you want, we've been using them since universe and will keep doing whatever we want haha.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2018 7:32:04 PM

TheHutts wrote:
DarthMaim wrote:

Um, I think that was T Rex in the early 1970s?

Although I googled it, and apparently The Power Station, with Robert Palmer (so the 'Addicted To Love' guy, not the Led Zeppelin guy), did a cover in the mid 1980s.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2018 7:44:51 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Have you tried turning the Vong off and on again?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2018 9:03:28 PM

Just hit it on the side really hard.
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2018 10:12:55 PM

shmi15 wrote:
Its been a while since I have seen a Vong squad enter a tournament where something isn't messed up.

Do you think its finally time to do away with them, or snip all the v-set pieces and rebuild the Vong asier to under
stand 5 minutes before a match begins?

If its taking people 10 minues just to read cards and connect dots on who gives what to who at wh eeat time in the game, it creates nothing but a NPE for the opponent, who probably has to ask a question every 5-10 minutes to remember if a character has a new ability or not.

I do not like Vong at all. I propose that some Vong be placed into fringe as a sub faction. A few commanders, a unique commander, scrubs and then we drop Vong the faction.

But the more realistic thing to do is to prepare for Vong before big tournaments. I remember Spry going through a Vong stage and I learned a ton about them in about 4 or 5 games. I wouldn't say I knew everything, but I knew enough to read the cards as refreshers and not the first time I was seeing them.

Leaving magic the gathering for a while and the new sets come into play, that first deck you make takes a while to learn all the cards. It sucks! But if you keep up with it it's not so hard.
juice man
Posted: Monday, August 6, 2018 3:24:33 AM

shmi15 wrote:

Do you think its finally time to do away with them, or snip all the v-set pieces and rebuild the Vong to make them easier to understand 5 minutes before a match begins?

If its taking people 10 minues just to read cards and connect dots on who gives what to who at what time in the game, it creates nothing but a NPE for the opponent, who probably has to ask a question every 5-10 minutes to remember if a character has a new ability or not.
This game has become so complex that this kind of experience is not limited to the Vong. There are over 60 Camaraderie abilities and then countless straight-up abilities that give stuff to others.

This is probably to get around Bastila/Disruptive.

It would be unlikely but interesting to see a reworking of some WotC pieces (or faction, worst thing WotC did to the Vong was base damage 10) and many V-Set pieces.

That would be a massive undertaking though, with no real chance of popular support.
juice man
Posted: Monday, August 6, 2018 3:28:48 AM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
Have you tried turning the Vong off and on again?
Turning off the Vong isn't hard (ask Jason, grrrr) but turning them on again is.
spryguy1981
Posted: Monday, August 6, 2018 3:44:33 AM

No, Vong do not need to be turned off, changed, etc. I personally have never had any issues learning or running them.
adamb0nd
Posted: Monday, August 6, 2018 5:18:31 AM

I think they require a higher learning curve because;

1. They have more synergy between pieces than is typically seen in most factions

2. A lot of people didn't like the vong and avoided their lore. It's easy to see a han piece and know he's going to be a good shooter. it's less easy to see any vong and know what sort of functionality they have if you're not a vong fan.

My solution? I don't play vong because they're overwhelming, and I do my best to not play vong opponents (throw games, cheat, steal, whatever it takes to avoid them).

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Vong are the most powerful faction, it's just that most people don't know how to play them, or don't want to.
droidadmiral
Posted: Monday, August 6, 2018 6:40:46 AM

No. we should just design way more powerful pieces in the other factions so that no one plays vong.. that way we can see we didn't ban them or anything, but not have to worry about them.
jak
Posted: Monday, August 6, 2018 11:44:00 AM

Cursing playing vs Vong sucks monkey balls, always has.........always will.........
if I gave a rats ass about the game anymore, I'd say" put 'em up against the wall, with the DB's who play them"
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Monday, August 6, 2018 12:31:15 PM

Get real, guys. It's not like we're going to ban or restart a faction because a few people can't be bothered to learn how it plays. There's nothing wrong with the Vong, and nothing wrong with the people who play them. There's something wrong with calling for the abandonment of several years' worth of designers' work just because you don't like the Vong.
juice man
Posted: Monday, August 6, 2018 1:42:58 PM

jak wrote:
Cursing playing vs Vong sucks monkey balls, always has.........always will.........
if I gave a rats ass about the game anymore, I'd say" put 'em up against the wall, with the DB's who play them"

Wonderful Vong, Lovely Vong
Wonderful Vong, Lovely Vong
Vong, Vong, Vong, Vong.*

* Sung to the "Spam Song"