RegisterDonateLogin

That's two you owe me.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

SpoCon Aftermath Options
Omnus
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 5:42:34 PM
Groups: Member

So 4 from Bellevue makes the trip to SpoCon...

Cybit is our Navigator...

Nightwalker was eager to join us

My Beautiful Girlfriend Silustrae pleads temporary insanity and decides to tag along : )

I suppose I came too

We also brought our pet the Retarded Monkey...

Sorry...that was insulting to monkeys....and retards...(we still love you Nighty Tighty)

On the way there we were introduced to mini Mountain Dew bottles...there was much rejoicing!

We arrived and got to our Apartment type of thing...I picked up Silustrae and shook her til she nearly threw up in celebration

Nightwalker celebrates with a triple whopper

By the way it was hot...too hot...there was some exhaustion

I started talking and of course ended up with my foot in my mouth...again

We met up with the Spokane gamers and Silustrae proceeds to look extremely cute : )

We met with Jedi Master Whitey..aka Justin

This time when we met up with Guitared it was on his turf...

We met Gau for the first time...he proved to be nearly as crazy as I am

Most of us gathered up for a group pick on sunday before departing...

And I had to pick the nose of the Uncle's Face on the Uncle's Van...

All in all we had a lot of fun. The prize support was amazing...I think the first 8 prizes were GG DAC, Palpy on Throne, General Rieekan, 2x HoloSid, Luke RC, Dash and vader Lotf.

Top 4 were

1) Omnus (landspeeder cannon w/ Rieekan)
2) Silustrae (IG's w GG DAC and cham+t3)
3) Justin (Shaak ti, rieekan, smuggler, HpU etc...do you have a Bloomilk account?)
4) Nightwalker (yobuck swap with jareal and jwm)

I left iwth GG dac, a mouse droid, 1 cham droid and 1 star corps trooper + an atton rand. Between Uncles and the support Moses got us there were a ton of prizes. The plan is to go again next year and see if we help the Spokane minis group grow : )

Thanks for a showing us a good time down there guys : )

ChadB
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 5:47:52 PM

Awesome! Glad you had guys had a good time. Looks like it was a fun trip.

Did you guys go to the Spokane version of "Dicks" hamburgers?

When I first moved to Seattle from the Spokane area I was told quite emphatically that the Seattle Dicks came first. I decided I didn't care because Spokane had a panda and a rooster on the sign.
amsnow
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 7:26:34 PM

looks like a good time, i might have to join you guys next year
Nightwalker
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 7:39:30 PM

ahahahahhaahhahaah

pretty dam accurate description....

we went to Sonic.....never been there before they were awsome...

omnus gets +infinity for awsome descriptions of the photos
Guitarded
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 9:08:13 PM

I'm glad no one posted anything about me finding true love with a donkey named Kelly, that would be really embarrassing. I would hate for that to become common knowledge.
Guitarded
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 9:11:58 PM

Oh crap, how do you edit posts?
Gau
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2009 9:24:54 PM

Seriously, a huge thanks to these guys for making it over. They made the event, for sure, and we are 100% for PAX partially due to their generosity, and 80% for the Bloomilk Championships.

Also, I am crazier than all of you combined, I can assure you.

Important notes from the con:

- It was really really really really hot. I intended to dress as Han Solo for Saturday, but decided against being a sweat-soaked Star Wars geek was a poor idea. A few guys from the 501st stunk up the bathroom so bad we couldn't go in it, just by changing.

- SpoCon was so much like Spokane. There was a bunch of stuff to do, nothing incredibly exciting, but you kinda had to make your own fun. I played some board games in the Uncle's demo room, hung out in our unofficial room (with a 360 and a projector), socialized a lot, and got to be exposed to a lot of nerdery I wouldn't otherwise. That, for me, is the best part. (Oh, and I met a girl.)

Side Note: Why is filk such a big deal?

- The prize support was amazing. Everybody walked away with at least one VR.

- Orange soda + vanilla vodka = crazy delicious.

- Annoying Kid is annoying. No, seriously. Space that kid. Does your scene have an AK?

- I suck at this game. A lot.

- Taris Undercity is a really hard map if you've never played on it before.

- This was our first time playing against a different meta, and it was very educational for us all. The competitiveness is something our scene really needs.
Squid89
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 1:55:26 AM

Pictures and captions are too funny. Looks like you had a great time going there and remembering. Thanks for sharing the report and laughs.
Silustrae
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 7:06:44 AM

I love the capitalization on "My Beautiful Girlfriend Silustrae." Is this my new title? :o

And really.. SpoCon was awesome. It looked really bleak at first because the schedule didn't have that much that I wanted to do. But naturally the Spokane nerds knew of things.

Still mad that Gau and JM Whitey wouldn't let me play in the fountain. :(

I think the best part was the cross-city trip to Taco Bell in JM Whitey's car, and him getting SLIGHTLY lost in his own city.

Does JM Whitey have a bloomilk user? If not we need to contact him and get him like JM_Whitey or something. :D

EDIT: Oh yea! I walked away with Dash, another Chameleon Droid (my 3rd, yay!), T3-M4 (my 4th), Twi'lek BSV, and an Odd Ball. (Please note, for all intents and purposes I have quit playing SW Minis, and have only kept a few squads for events like this. So I really only took things I was interested in repainting for the Star Wars Saga game)
Cybit
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 8:59:44 AM

The Con was a blast. I ended up actually not playing (mostly because I wanted to go to the military humor panel, which ended up being OK for the first 45 minutes and hysterical for the last 15 + hanging out afterward), but I know everyone had a blast at the tournament. :D

So much thanks to the Spokane peeps for hanging out with us until way too late in the morning. Also, no spacing me! (I have no idea who annoying kid is, so I'll just assume its me and avoid the AK :-p )

Synopsis/Best Parts

Friday night
First, filking it up, and performing "Skullcrusher Mountain". Such an awesome song. I've never heard of filk before last weekend, but it's just basically folk songs that are nerdy.

Tour at 3 AM of Gonzaga by random girl who used to go the school (Ironically, same girl Gau met. I believe this is where we cue the "It's a Small World" music). I think very few people got more then 4-5 hours of sleep at the con.

Running into Guitarded at 3:30 AM, during said tour, who was hanging out in the college hall, watching anime? and definitely not all there, and having a hysterical conversation between the two of us.

Meeting the Spokane people, and realizing there is entirely too much insanity between our two groups (when I'm the sane one, things have gone horrifically wrong). At the con itself, most of the people are from Spokane, and they are incredibly friendly. I felt like I was back in the midwest. It was really, really nice.

Saturday:
Panels + just flat out gaming. Having to run so many games (minis, Magic, D&D) back in Seattle, I forgot what it is like to game. Though I'm done playing minis for the most part (my addiction to RTS games has returned, and I'm generally just gamed out by Saturday)

Military humor panel. Nightwalker came with me for the first 45 mins, and it wasn't super funny then. But the last two stories, plus the stories afterward (where those of us that have security clearances got to let loose) had my stomach hurting, I was laughing so hard.

After the panel, I ended up going to the screening of Gamers 2: Dorkness Rising (I had not seen any of them). Had a blast there, as several of the main cast members were MST3K'ing the movie as it went on. Afterward, got invited to the con organizers / volunteers / panelists / etc party, where there were very tasty beverages consumed in large amounts, and large amounts of BS'ing / chatting with very cool people involved. As well as some loud singing.

After that, found the minis crew and hung out with them till the wee hours of the morning. (I don't remember too much, as I was utterly gassed at this point. I got 2-3 hours sleep Friday night).

Sunday
I was up early Sunday (545 AM or so, not happy about why I was up, but, eh, it happens, and a fellow minis player benefited from it), and went for a run around Gonzaga. Holy shizzle, it is a freaking gorgeous campus with the sun coming up. Ended up getting some gaming in on Sunday (Munchkin, D&D, UT2004), and hitting up some cool panels. Finally, our lovely Silustrae drove us all back (We split driving duties, I drove here, she drove back), while we BS'd about the con and life in general.

Definitely coming back next year, and a hearty recommendation to anyone who is interested in going.
Gau
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 10:05:34 AM

Silustrae wrote:
Still mad that Gau and JM Whitey wouldn't let me play in the fountain. :(

Okay, let's get this straight. I wanted very badly to play in the fountain, and it was JM Whitey that insisted we not. Also Mark. Both he and Whitey have bloomilk profiles...they both need to post!

I feel bad for not having any pictures...I brought my camera, but didn't carry it with me at any of the opportune times.

Annoying Kid is the, well, annoying kid that never stops talking, thinks Seps are unplayable and San Hill sucks, and was obsessed with getting Ahsoka Tano for some reason. Of course he plays a Jar-Jar squad, and of course he thinks he's awesome because he rolls high a lot.

Quote:
Annoying Kid
10 C
HP 10
Def 14
Atk +1
Dam 10

Melee Attack, Flurry Attack

Force 2, Master 2
Omnus
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 10:17:44 AM

I look forward to seeing you guys up for PAX. I expect all of my furniture to be filled with exhausted gamers : ) Velox is in the same apartment but you will him he is our gamer/rocker.

I do not know how competitive PAX will be but I know Shinja is working on a SWM event for each day, so there is plenty of stuff to do. Of course in addition to gaming I will be making up "Medusa" for the after parties : )
wulfric
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 12:10:31 PM

In spite of myself I had a really great time.

At first I was like "$35 for this???" but it quickly became apparent to me that it was going to be worth it once the magnitude of the prize support, the awesomeness of the Valley Uncle's (thanks for the Mira!), and the Bellevue guys finally showing up all hit me.

All in all I had a great time, got some really good trades nailed down, and managed to lose every single game. The B'Vue crew was fantsatic to hang out with, hope to see you guys at PAX!
Omnus
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 1:02:33 PM

wulfric wrote:
In spite of myself I had a really great time.

At first I was like "$35 for this???" but it quickly became apparent to me that it was going to be worth it once the magnitude of the prize support, the awesomeness of the Valley Uncle's (thanks for the Mira!), and the Bellevue guys finally showing up all hit me.

All in all I had a great time, got some really good trades nailed down, and managed to lose every single game. The B'Vue crew was fantsatic to hang out with, hope to see you guys at PAX!

wulfric = mark?

Sorry I didn't put a pic up of you. There was a really funny one but it kept distorting when i was working on it.
Omnus
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 1:29:03 PM

Honestly, i figured the trip would end up being some minis and chance to hang out with friends at the very least. It ended up being alittle bit of minis, lots of hanging out with some new friends and some good minis networking. Hopefully we can all help all the WA events grow and get better : )
mercenary_moose
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 2:21:55 PM

What?! It took you that long to discover mini Mountain Dew bottles? I've been drinking those for about three years now.
Gau
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 2:28:59 PM

Ya, next year I'm hoping we can swing a dedicated room so that we can be doing minis whenever.
Omnus
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 2:29:24 PM

mercenary_moose wrote:
What?! It took you that long to discover mini Mountain Dew bottles? I've been drinking those for about three years now.

No, I have seen them before. They just seemed like they would fit in our little travel cooler really well, so I picked some up. We then got on some tangent and were joking around about how cool they are. Our minis group is all a bunch of Mountain Dew Whores.
Omnus
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 2:31:37 PM

Gau wrote:
Ya, next year I'm hoping we can swing a dedicated room so that we can be doing minis whenever.

I think we can get atleast 2 car loads of people coming down to the event next year...maybe more. Plus with Uncle's getting a minis day go in spokane, maybe you guys can grow your numbers a bit. Then we can atleast do a small event friday night and sunday afternoon if we want. Do some free play earlier saturday too.
ChuckaFett
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 2:43:46 PM
Groups: Member , Trade Moderator

Sounds like you guys had a great time! I'd be up for a road trip next year, and I can always borrow my wife's Suburban and see if we can fill it up with Westsiders!