RegisterDonateLogin

Handy Tip: To prevent curdling, store on Hoth.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Captain Tarpal + Mobile Attack Options
Nogo Nabelyk
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2009 1:18:43 PM
Groups: Member

Okay...

Captain Tarpal's CE allows your followers to use 2 abilities that replace attacks, instead of 1, per turn.

Mobile Attack allows you to move both before and after attacking.

QUESTION: Can a character move under it's speed, use an ability that replaces attacks twice, then continue to move the remaining speed value?

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated...
Durge Dude
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2009 1:22:42 PM

I would think so, but I am not sure.
Sithborg
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2009 1:40:23 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

You can use Tarpals CE to use 2 powers and Mobile Attack together, as long as you use the powers at once (ie, you cannot move, grenade, move, grenade again, you must move, grenade, grenade, move).
Nogo Nabelyk
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2009 1:42:37 PM

Awesome! I figured as much but just wanted to be sure. Thank you!
Darth O
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2009 6:21:50 PM

I would have thought you need Greater Mobile Attack to use 2 abilities.
Nogo Nabelyk
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 5:07:45 AM

I considered that a possibility but wasn't sure. I'm hoping "regular" mobile will allow the two "attacks" considering you're not required to have double/extra attack when using the two "replace attack" abilities.
MrSmileys
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 8:20:38 AM

ConfusedI am most likely wrong on this but i was under the impression that Tarpals ability did not let you use the same "Replaces Attack" ability twice, but let you use two different "Replaces Attack" abilities because of the way it is worded: "Each follower can use 2 abilities that replace attacks instead of 1 on its turn."
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 9:37:49 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

MrSmileys wrote:
ConfusedI am most likely wrong on this but i was under the impression that Tarpals ability did not let you use the same "Replaces Attack" ability twice, but let you use two different "Replaces Attack" abilities because of the way it is worded: "Each follower can use 2 abilities that replace attacks instead of 1 on its turn."

I think it is just a case of poor wording. Should say "can use abilities that replace attacks twice on it's turn, instead of once".
MrSmileys
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 10:28:13 AM

swinefeld wrote:
MrSmileys wrote:

I think it is just a case of poor wording. Should say "can use abilities that replace attacks twice on it's turn, instead of once".

On most cases i would agree with you. But for this one I would rule it exactly as the card says. Most of the time a "Replaces Attacks" ability is much stronger then a regular attack. And being able to use something like Flamethrower 20 or Grenades 40 2 times in one turn can be devastating. And that does not include people with force powers and MOTF2.
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 10:47:28 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

MrSmileys wrote:
swinefeld wrote:
MrSmileys wrote:

On most cases i would agree with you. But for this one I would rule it exactly as the card says. Most of the time a "Replaces Attacks" ability is much stronger then a regular attack. And being able to use something like Flamethrower 20 or Grenades 40 2 times in one turn can be devastating. And that does not include people with force powers and MOTF2.

True, it is very powerful. Tarpals is tailor-made for Gungans with their Cesta and Atlatl, RC Scorch, Grenadiers etc. MotF2 is pretty difficult to pull off in the Republic. When you get into Fringe, then it starts to get scary (Flamethrower, Missiles and such). Tarpals is 20 points just for a CE, he is almost useless as a fighter himself.

Crazy as it seems, that is how it has been ruled by the powers that be...
Sithborg
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 10:58:09 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Tarpals CE allows the abilities to be used with Mobile Attack.
You can use 1 ability twice or 2 once with his CE.
This is covered in KOTOR mini-FAQ.
Billy Dooku
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:34:44 AM

I made a squad around that concept with Tarpals and Queen Amidala.

Tarpals's Friends under my squads... (haven't figured how to post the link, can anyone help?)

Peace