RegisterDonateLogin

I ain't seen one of these websites since I was prospecting on Subterrel.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Flying or Falling????? Options
Darth Zikon
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 11:06:57 AM
Groups: Member

so ive been playing star wars minis for about 9 months now. my frineds got me started on it and i've loved it ever since but now those same friends say that the game is falling and that i should just get out of it while i can!! i've been thinking about making two squads that i would keep forever and selling the rest!! I myself like to think that the game is still in flight and that it still has at least 3-4 years left in its life. What do you think???? thanks.Confused
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 11:12:27 AM

Home Boy,
this is Star wars we are talking about!ThumpUp
this game gets a new breath of air for each set that comes out.
the only thing that seems to be falling is your friends interest in the game. and that is something that you cannot control, which is fine.
i suggest you start getting other people involved, thats what i did when i thought the air was out of my gaming tires.
DO NOT GET RID OF YOUR ARMIES UNLESS YOU ARE TRADING FOR OTHER PIECES!
Topher_Champion_Of_The_Force
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 12:25:10 PM

Beasty's right man, i don't think people will ever let star wars die,
this game is a huge part of star wars, without it (and roll palying)
we'd all have to play the trading card game which has been dead
for a while now. star wars is in america's BLOOD, it's one of those
things that trekies can convert to once they realize thier mistake.
the game is a lot of fun, and unless you NEED a LOT of money
NOW, i wouldn't sell your figs, and remember you might have a few
freinds who don't like it, but you've got over 2,000 people on this
site alone who'll agree with me and Beasty.
Mickey
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 12:28:45 PM

If it has 4 years left that is alot of fun to be had. I say enjoy it all while we can and ride it to the end.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 12:32:23 PM

Topher_Champion_Of_The_Force wrote:

LOL LMAO!!! Trekkies converting.....i love it!!LOL
thodafett
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 12:47:04 PM

If they dont do something stupid like make a SWm 2.0 or tick off LFL, I could see the game going another 2 - 5 years, there are still tons of characters that can be made and new ones added in the Eu all the time. I would say it is still flying if not a little stale.
death by wookie 89
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:11:08 PM

Now that Robs gone we'll see if this game get more people ( as in you invite them and they stay there this time because of the new sets ) ThumbsUp
StevenO
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 2:55:11 PM

thodafett wrote:
If they dont do something stupid like make a SWm 2.0 or tick off LFL, I could see the game going another 2 - 5 years, there are still tons of characters that can be made and new ones added in the Eu all the time. I would say it is still flying if not a little stale.

That is what killed DDM for me. Sure someone's getting around to converting all the old pieces to their new game but that really ticked me off.

I'm not sure how long SWM can go on but at least here there is a tradition of resculpting pieces. I know some people don't like seeing another Stormtrooper released and many more who hate aquiring hordes of some uncommon only to see it released in a later set as a common but the willingness to recycle pieces means the new comers still have access to a number of iconic staples from earlier sets. Throw in the fact that most rare/VR pieces are uniques which also get recycled into new versions SWM doesn't actually need to come out with too many totally new pieces each set. The drop to 40 pieces each set also makes creating a new set easier.
Dr. Destructo
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 3:01:00 PM

Regarding DDM, I tried both 1 and 2.0 and saw flaws in both systems so I tried SWM and loved the rules and gameplay of SWM over DDM.
I still loved Heroclix in it's prime over any minis game I've played, but HC's problem was massive power creep and a total change in the feel to the game near it's end. Provided SWM avoids those issues the game could go on for a very long time.
Darth Zikon
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 4:47:40 PM

Mandalore Da Beast wrote:

LOL LMAO!!! Trekkies converting.....i love it!!LOL

Flapper LOL Stupid trekkies are to dumb for there own good!!!!
Topher_Champion_Of_The_Force
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 11:57:15 PM

StevenO wrote:
I'm not sure how long SWM can go on but at least here there is a tradition of resculpting pieces. I know some people don't like seeing another Stormtrooper released and many more who hate aquiring hordes of some uncommon only to see it released in a later set as a common but the willingness to recycle pieces means the new comers still have access to a number of iconic staples from earlier sets. Throw in the fact that most rare/VR pieces are uniques which also get recycled into new versions SWM doesn't actually need to come out with too many totally new pieces each set. The drop to 40 pieces each set also makes creating a new set easier.

to be honest, there are still other FACTIONS they could come out with,
like Chiss and that dinosour species that i cant spell, ss'sri or something.
and then there's factions still lacking, they've been pretty good at
getting things like unique sith lords out there, but we only have 3 vong
uniques, we don't even have a supreme overlord Shimmra yet!
dalsiandon
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 2:49:38 AM

Dr. Destructo wrote:
, but HC's problem was massive power creep and a total change in the feel to the game near it's end. Provided SWM avoids those issues the game could go on for a very long time.

I believe you mean Powerleap? That game was not subtle in it's powershifts at all. Rarely a piece could survive from one set to the next. But I agree it could go a long time. Which I think is one of the good reasons of Gowks dismisal, he changed the feel of the game. (IMHO)

to be honest, there are still other FACTIONS they could come out with,
like Chiss and that dinosour species that i cant spell, ss'sri or something.
and then there's factions still lacking, they've been pretty good at
getting things like unique sith lords out there, but we only have 3 vong
uniques, we don't even have a supreme overlord Shimmra yet!

10 factions is enough. I could handle a few more subfactions, such as Black sun, as a good example. They have a hard enough time supporting all 10 as is, what would happen if there was more? Certian factions would continue to get the shaft, and more would be added to that list. As for what you've mentioned, the Ssiruvvi, don't have a big enough prescense, they appear in two books? no faction for them. And the Chiss would be a great subfaction in the fringe.

Just my thoughts on it.

As for the game it has legs still under it. Even with the lead designer change, (bye Rob you'll be missed) the concepts of the game are well rooted, as long as they don't do some crazy overhaul I can see the game continuing to last. I for one would keep my collection even if the game was dead, because it is a fun game to play and there are just so many combos at this point
saber1
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 3:02:56 AM

I certainly hope this game lasts a long time. I just got into it about 8 months ago and I really enjoy this game. Going through another fiasco like that of SWCCG's ending will result in a permanent loss of my purchases for LucasFilm/Arts. Disloyalty and lack of appreciation of your customer/fan base is not how you conduct business. Cursing
DarthReeves
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 3:47:50 AM

Ya know what would be awesome? If they made a video game out of this. Kind of like that demo on wizards of the coast' website. How freaking cool would that be? Would we ever see the sun again? Play online vs other players or set up squads to play against the computer!? Oh my kidney's quiver with excitement just thinking of it!
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 3:59:32 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I'm with DalsianDon on this. If the game ends, I will keep my collection (now nearly complete!) and play for fun when I can. BigGrin

There is a lot of talk about making changes to some things to balance the playing field at the competitive (DCI) level. I hope there won't be any BIG changes that could threaten the longevity of the game. DCI play is only one aspect, though it is the main if not sole focus for a number of players. Those types of issues can be handled IMO through the DCI floor rules.

Otherwise, I have my fingers crossed that the new head of R&D has a good handle on what the game needs to stay viable, both as a game and a product that will sell well. As long as it is selling well, we should be in good shape. BlooMilk

@DarthReeves - we have Vassal, but I would love to see something like you suggest. With good graphics! Would be really cool to see on screen action that reflects the dice rolls Laugh
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 8:47:58 AM

swinefeld wrote:
I'm with DalsianDon on this. If the game ends, I will keep my collection (now nearly complete!) and play for fun when I can. BigGrin

There is a lot of talk about making changes to some things to balance the playing field at the competitive (DCI) level. I hope there won't be any BIG changes that could threaten the longevity of the game. DCI play is only one aspect, though it is the main if not sole focus for a number of players. Those types of issues can be handled IMO through the DCI floor rules.

Otherwise, I have my fingers crossed that the new head of R&D has a good handle on what the game needs to stay viable, both as a game and a product that will sell well. As long as it is selling well, we should be in good shape. BlooMilk

@DarthReeves - we have Vassal, but I would love to see something like you suggest. With good graphics! Would be really cool to see on screen action that reflects the dice rolls Laugh

playstation 2 came out with a game about 2 years ago, called the "eye of Judgement" or something like that. it runs just like a miniatures game, has a "map" that plugged into your console(like a controller) and "virtual" pieces that you unlocked and played with on yer PS2.
needless to say....the game Tanked.
TK-4334
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 9:00:48 AM

As long as players like in this forum exist, the game will exist, too.
Man i love this stuff and i fixed on a lot of childs around me. BigGrin
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 10:04:40 AM

TK-4334 wrote:
As long as players like in this forum exist, the game will exist, too.
Man i love this shit and i fixed on a lot of childs around me. BigGrin

i agree!ThumbsUp
we can keep this game going for a long time.
and not to be a stick in the mud TK, and not to nit pick either, but we have to watch our language on this site bro.
TK-4334
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 4:46:44 AM

u´re right it was my enthusiasm BigGrin
Uggie Demo
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 5:47:18 AM

Darth Zikon wrote:
so ive been playing star wars minis for about 9 months now. my frineds got me started on it and i've loved it ever since but now those same friends say that the game is falling and that i should just get out of it while i can!! i've been thinking about making two squads that i would keep forever and selling the rest!! I myself like to think that the game is still in flight and that it still has at least 3-4 years left in its life. What do you think???? thanks.Confused

Even if the was falling and it ends in the next 2 years there is not law stopping us from playing, and the RPG is really fun and that will last a long time even after this game stops. All I'm saying that even if this game ends you can still play it and have fun.