RegisterDonateLogin

It's not wise to upset Bloo Milk.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Please Help Me Put Nashville on the Map! Options
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 11:07:34 AM
Groups: Member

i would love to have gone to Gen Con this year, but it was not possibleBored
im pretty sure i would have gotten my teeth kicked in, because i have yet to play a DCI based game, Gambit and such. i know how to play it (thanks to Mickey and Sithborg), but we dont have it yet in Nashville.
YET is the operative word. 3 years ago, me and my buddy got into this game, then we got our wives into it.
3 years later, we are 7 strong (not including our wives, well, because theyd rather watch "Chelsea Lately" or "True Blood").
So this is what i ask, and it may be tough to do.

i want to start a league, im not sure what criteria is to meet it, but i am positive that it can be met. i have a local game shoppe a half a mile from my house, which is where we buy most of our minis, that and Books A Million.
can someone, or everyone please tell me what needs to be done, because i swear i will do whatever it takes to get it done. i just need the help.
Nashville gets left out on all the promos, maps etc., and im sick of it. its time that we Nashvillians got our shizz straight, because we are in the heart of all this competitive gaming, with many fine gamers. i play for fun, and i play for bragging rights, as we all do. i want to play with my out of state neighbors, i want to play with as many people as i can.

but i want to thank all of you have who have lit this fire under my Arse, and that goes for every single gamer on this board, whether we have spoke or not.

"Help Me Obi Wan Kenobi, Your My Only Hope".
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 11:45:49 AM

ok, i see the thread has gotten a few hits, but no posts.
when i say i am serious about this topic, i mean it.
so, out of hard headedness (if thats even a word), i will continue to bump this thread until i have answers.
just thought id get that out of the way so people dont get confuzledConfused
Mickey
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 12:26:19 PM

I suggest you come to our con Sept 5th. You are about 3 hours away. You can meet some people in particular Jim I think will be there who is the national event coordinator. Maybe you can get some help from him.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 12:30:32 PM

Thank you Mickey, you are always a big help.
im trying my Darndest to get there, and at the moment its not looking too good.
but that doesnt mean i aint tryin, because i am. you know how work is, they are the thorn in our side that keeps on giving...and giving.....and giving.....me heartburn!Cursing but sept is still a work in progress.
Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:09:00 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Hate to break it to you, but everyone is being left out on promos and maps now. The League Kits are no longer available.

I would look for advice from the SWM Rules Advisory Committee. I do believe one of their things is to help tournament organizers grow their group. At the very least, they have a ton of experience to help.
Mickey
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 2:18:52 PM

I think you basically need someone to be able to sanction your events for DCI. As for prize support that comes from the players participating. We have a $5 entry fee which goes toward buying boosters. Those boosters are then opened and the winners get first pick and then down the line. There is a program you use for sanctioning the event I do believe. I bet Shinja or Omnus knows since they run groups.
Boris
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 4:51:08 AM

My wife and I have been talking about spending more time in Nashville on the weekends. We're about 90 minutes out.

Obviously we couldn't come down there every weekend but a few times a year probably. Any help you need getting things started let me know. :)
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 5:07:03 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Most places that run sanctioned Magic tournaments are probably already set up to be able to run sanctioned SWM tournaments. Talk to the people who run the Magic tournaments and try to get a night and table-space reserved for a SWM tournament.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 8:41:26 AM

Boris wrote:
My wife and I have been talking about spending more time in Nashville on the weekends. We're about 90 minutes out.

Obviously we couldn't come down there every weekend but a few times a year probably. Any help you need getting things started let me know. :)

awesome Boris!!
you live in Kentucky?
its not so much prize support or promotional items that are drawing me to sanctioned tournaments as it is the actual gaming. though, we definitely want to achieve that aspect of tourney playing.
the way i see it is that i have a pretty good start with a circuit of guys who want to expand what we are doing.
the Carbondale Event is ideal to get a feel of what needs to be done here in Nashville, and im working my butt off to get up there.
as to what Sithborg was saying,(thanx by the way) i printed up all the stuff for DCI sanctioning, but sadly do not have a magic the gathering following here. only frikkin WarHammer 40,000 on thursdays and some sci fi RPG gathering on sundays.
the positive part of that is i get to choose 1 of the available 5 days to do this.
Mickey
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 9:38:27 AM

Oh man if I was 90 mins from Owensboro I'd be there most weekends. Their group is an awesome bunch of guys.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 10:02:17 AM

Mickey wrote:
Oh man if I was 90 mins from Owensboro I'd be there most weekends. Their group is an awesome bunch of guys.

OwensBoro? really?
sweeeeeetThumbsUp
if i get some info, ill be up there for some games!!
knightmare1233
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 10:27:39 AM

I don't organize the Owensboro events but I do play there. We play on Saturdays at 2pm at Coolector's Mall on East 18th Street. This Saturday, the 22nd, we are playing 200 point constructed I believe. The 29th we will be playing 200 constructed again. Hope to see you there man. If you need more info let me know
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 10:44:03 AM

knightmare1233 wrote:
I don't organize the Owensboro events but I do play there. We play on Saturdays at 2pm at Coolector's Mall on East 18th Street. This Saturday, the 22nd, we are playing 200 point constructed I believe. The 29th we will be playing 200 constructed again. Hope to see you there man. If you need more info let me know

AWESOME!!!
can you send me a PM with the details on where its at exactly?
Boris
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 1:37:12 PM

We play every Saturday at 2 p.m.

The store is located at the corner of 18th and Moseley(?).

270-688-8066 is the phone number for directions.

Dark Jedi 21 (Jason) from the WotC boards does the schedule for the events.

How many players are interested in organizing something in Nashville?
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 10:57:39 AM

right now we have 5 that actually purchase minis and play every other day, and 3 who freeload off of our armies to play. so 8Bored
Dark_Jedi_21
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 2:10:09 PM

We would be happy to host the Nashville crowd at our games in Owensboro. Its always awesome to meet and play with new people. We have an incredible bunch of guys here in Owensboro and we try to do our best to make everyone feel welcomed.
If your comming from Nashville you probably want to take I-65 to Bowling Green and then hit the Natcher Parkway to Owensboro. It will run into the Owensboro Bypass. Just take the Frederica St. exit and make a right. Take Frederica St. down and make a right onto 18th st. You we see a giant Darth Vader on the side of Coolector's Mall witch is on the corner of 18th and Mosely. The address is 401 E 18th St.
It's worth the trip just to see the store. Just ask anyone from out of town who came to our regional event. ThumpUp We do play every Saturday at 2:00. I keep a post over in the Mos Eisley Cantina on the WOTC boards with our schedule. When they get back up I will try to post it over here as well. Hope to see you at one of tournaments soon.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 6:05:50 AM

Dark_Jedi_21 wrote:
We would be happy to host the Nashville crowd at our games in Owensboro. Its always awesome to meet and play with new people. We have an incredible bunch of guys here in Owensboro and we try to do our best to make everyone feel welcomed.
If your comming from Nashville you probably want to take I-65 to Bowling Green and then hit the Natcher Parkway to Owensboro. It will run into the Owensboro Bypass. Just take the Frederica St. exit and make a right. Take Frederica St. down and make a right onto 18th st. You we see a giant Darth Vader on the side of Coolector's Mall witch is on the corner of 18th and Mosely. The address is 401 E 18th St.
It's worth the trip just to see the store. Just ask anyone from out of town who came to our regional event. ThumpUp We do play every Saturday at 2:00. I keep a post over in the Mos Eisley Cantina on the WOTC boards with our schedule. When they get back up I will try to post it over here as well. Hope to see you at one of tournaments soon.

Sweet!ThumpUp
im making an effort to get out there as soon as possible.
definitely before the GAW event.
Boris
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 8:50:16 AM

Cool.

It might be a little more than 90 minutes, depending on how fast you drive. I actually live about an hour south of Owensboro.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 8:52:08 AM

im having a problem with the fuel injector in my car, so im going to seek out the back roads (might take 2 hours), to get there.
Dark_Jedi_21
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 2:39:05 AM

Any Idea when you might try to make it? I wont be able to attend on the 29th and I would definitely like to be there when you come to town.