RegisterDonateLogin

Recommended by 2 out of 5 Tusken Raiders.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

favorite moment in minis Options
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2018 6:56:00 PM
Groups: Member

I haven't played in a llloooonnnngggg time but I have so many fond memories of playing this game... but I have been trying to pin down my all time favorite moment.

I have come up with:

During a TN regional a played named Christian Threet was running a bunch of poggle bombs with the spotter/snipers against my bro, jen'ari, who had not played much minis at this point in time...shocking I know... anyways jen'ari was running republic with r2 and general Kenobi. when they sat down my bro was like this squad sucks who plays such a gay squad talking about the poggle bombs... to which threet says, yeah... your only chance is to kill poggle... so I watched as my bro systematically moved down the board and killed poggle and won the game lol. it was one of the most amazing things I have ever witnessed in my life.

I was playing against Bronson one time long long time ago, I was using new republic--solo charge--and he was running cad bane/thrawn swap with nyna calixte... I forgot about the +10 damage against stealth and end of round beginning of round he killed ganner and mara jade... he asked if I wanted to call it, but I had old man han left and was like...never tell me the odds... I shoot cad...first shot... crit cade fails save 40 damage...second shot... crit... cad fails save... dead cad. NEVER TELL ME THE ODDS.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2018 7:52:38 PM

HA! Excellent!

One time for the Rebels vs. Seps campaign, I was running a really awkward Rebel Snowspeeder squad against Lafcadio who was running a bunch of Spider Droids with Savage Oppress.

I'm not sure I'm remembering this right, but I believe I was winning from sheer mobility, but then made a silly mistake and got some bad luck (which he capitalized on), and we were almost out of time. Somehow - SOMEHOW - I got my remaining pilots positioned right, swooped in with a snowspeeder to combine fire and finish off either Savage or one of the spider-droids, and got just enough of a points lead to pull ahead. Time ran out at the end of the round.
shmi15
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2018 8:03:10 PM

One time I was playing Ultrastar, and it was during a Sunday and I was watching my boy Tom brady carve up some defense. So needless to say I wasn't paying attention that much to the minis game. I'm pretty sure I was running a Republic squad with Mace LOTLS, and more than likely I was playing against some form of Black and Blue. Well, an hour into the game, time was called and Bronson claimed victory.... Until I counted all my gambit points, and realized I beat him by 2 Gambit!

So I beat the Ultrastar without putting much thought into the game!

Side not as always, I am a career 0- whatever in tournaments against the Ultrastar, lol.
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2018 10:08:41 PM

My all time favorite moment was during a TN regional. I was playing Vader, Legacy of the Force in an Imperials vs Rebel showdown. I ran Vader right into the middle of the map and watched as Rebel after Rebel missed shots in fear. Soon enough the room was full of dead men.
Years later they would immortalize that skirmish by making into a comic titled "Vader Down".
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2018 10:09:51 PM

shmi15 wrote:

Side not as always, I am a career 0- whatever in tournaments against the Ultrastar, lol.

You also have a 200-0 lost against Deaths_Baine.

Which would have to be my second favorite moment in SWM.
Mace Windu and Obi-kin slaughtering Atton and Revan. Deaths_Baine was like a scalpel (who knows what book I am referencing when I say that?)
EmporerDragon
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 1:54:02 AM

My favorite will always be my Blood Tusken, the 4-point scrub who took down a sith lord.

Way back in the RotS days of 100 point tournaments, I used a basic Tusken Raider as my last filler piece. In one particular tournament, he dominated. I was facing off against a Palpatine, SL squad, and to stop Palps from getting close to my Aurra Sing, I based him with my Tusken, who then smacked Palpatine for 10 damage. Palpatine won initiative and tried to walk past the Tusken to zap Aurra. He took a crit to the face on the AoO. Aurra shot and ran, but the Tusken walked right back up to Palpatine and gave him another crit for good measure. I won initiative next, allowing Aurra to escape further away and dropping Palps to 30 HP. I then activated the Tusken. Palpatine's last sights were a Mighty Swung Gaderffii crit to the face.

He performed well throughout the tournament, killing quite a few grunts and tanking several other attacks. I later painted him red with a jar of nail polish I had found in honor of his destructive wrath.

Paint job's still intact, even after all these years:
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 6:31:10 AM

jen'ari wrote:
shmi15 wrote:

You also have a 200-0 lost against Deaths_Baine.

Which would have to be my second favorite moment in SWM.
Mace Windu and Obi-kin slaughtering Atton and Revan. Deaths_Baine was like a scalpel (who knows what book I am referencing when I say that?)

HAHA--- Ender's Game my friend Ender's Game.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 6:31:59 AM

EmporerDragon wrote:
My favorite will always be my Blood Tusken, the 4-point scrub who took down a sith lord.

Way back in the RotS days of 100 point tournaments, I used a basic Tusken Raider as my last filler piece. In one particular tournament, he dominated. I was facing off against a Palpatine, SL squad, and to stop Palps from getting close to my Aurra Sing, I based him with my Tusken, who then smacked Palpatine for 10 damage. Palpatine won initiative and tried to walk past the Tusken to zap Aurra. He took a crit to the face on the AoO. Aurra shot and ran, but the Tusken walked right back up to Palpatine and gave him another crit for good measure. I won initiative next, allowing Aurra to escape further away and dropping Palps to 30 HP. I then activated the Tusken. Palpatine's last sights were a Mighty Swung Gaderffii crit to the face.

He performed well throughout the tournament, killing quite a few grunts and tanking several other attacks. I later painted him red with a jar of nail polish I had found in honor of his destructive wrath.

Paint job's still intact, even after all these years:

That's awesome
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 6:34:41 AM

jen'ari wrote:
My all time favorite moment was during a TN regional. I was playing Vader, Legacy of the Force in an Imperials vs Rebel showdown. I ran Vader right into the middle of the map and watched as Rebel after Rebel missed shots in fear. Soon enough the room was full of dead men.
Years later they would immortalize that skirmish by making into a comic titled "Vader Down".

Dude this was such an epic tournament, but there's a better moment.

Playing against our other brother Justin using luke rebel commando, you needed three hits with a crit using Vader, Legacy to win the game, first attack, hit, second attack, hit, third attack.....critical... game over epic!

adamb0nd
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 6:38:14 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I took out a full health AT-ST with a Jawa Scavenger in one turn once. Some CE's or SA's that gave a mild damage boost and twin and a crit. Ootini!
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 7:39:41 AM

adamb0nd wrote:
I took out a full health AT-ST with a Jawa Scavenger in one turn once. Some CE's or SA's that gave a mild damage boost and twin and a crit. Ootini!

hahaha that's awesome.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 8:12:20 AM

I've probably told this one before, but my friends and I don't have enough of a physical collection to run competitive squads. So waaay back when I was just getting into minis, we were playing a 2 on 2 100 point skirmish. We didn't even have enough pieces to run faction-pure squads, so I had a lineup of something like Jensaarai Defender + Leia Jedi Knight + Jedi Crusader + Stormtrooper. Something like that. Stormtrooper was obviously just filler.

Anyways, I can't remember most of what the other three guys had, but that dumb Stormtrooper was a tank. No Evade, no cover even, but somehow he made it at least into the endgame. Shot at several times; all misses. He was out in the open standing in a difficult terrain, but nobody could hit him. If I remember right it took Darth Maul more than one attack to finally down him.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 8:13:50 AM

CorellianComedian wrote:
I've probably told this one before, but my friends and I don't have enough of a physical collection to run competitive squads. So waaay back when I was just getting into minis, we were playing a 2 on 2 100 point skirmish. We didn't even have enough pieces to run faction-pure squads, so I had a lineup of something like Jensaarai Defender + Leia Jedi Knight + Jedi Crusader + Stormtrooper. Something like that. Stormtrooper was obviously just filler.

Anyways, I can't remember most of what the other three guys had, but that dumb Stormtrooper was a tank. No Evade, no cover even, but somehow he made it at least into the endgame. Shot at several times; all misses. He was out in the open standing in a difficult terrain, but nobody could hit him. If I remember right it took Darth Maul more than one attack to finally down him.

he was using destiny points to not die lol.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 8:14:07 AM

Haha we need to create a custom set memorializing all of these legendary pieces.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 10:49:39 AM

ohhhhh man. I just remembered Bronson/Ultrastar was playing with thon with force leap in the TN regional against daala. It was such a glorious thing seeing this monster force leaping around with hk on his back disrupting everything and murdering stuff lol.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 10:51:39 AM

dang...what a glorious game....time to drop my tax return into a full set wooot wwooot lol. LOL
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 11:29:57 AM

Haha Thon's last ride.

The same tournament ScruffyHan made Zam Caught the Klat and forced an errata (erratum?) hahaha.

I didn't get to play him.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 11:32:54 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

In 2015, I was playing Dance of Death (Caedus/Barriss) in the GenCon championships for the first time. Getting a great Sith Battle Manipulation is... well... great. But the best one of those was probably against Weeks, who was running Elite Republic Commandos. (Probably not so great from his point of view, though.)

It was great for a couple reasons. First, because he was the 2014 GenCon champ, so beating the reigning champ is cool. Second, because it was such a great "comeback". I had the Juggernaut serving as a Crab-Armor+Force-Attuned Armor bodyguard for everyone, but he eventually shot through him. By then I had a good amount of Force points stored up. But he took out pretty everyone except Barriss and Caedus. I had enough Force (and Master of the Force 3) that I was essentially able to take out the whole squad in two activations. I ran Barriss in and ran as many people as I could around the Mines with SBM. He out-activated me so he naturally killed Barriss and put a decent amount of damage on Caedus. At the top of the next round, I still had enough Force to slide the rest of his squad into a pit and use Caedus to kill anyone who made their pit saves.

I've had some good SBM sequences, but none better than that one.
Oakel
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 11:35:16 AM

Hearing these moments is just so fun. That reminds me of a game where I was playing 4 100pt squads in a 2v2, an Old Republic Soldier squad and Mandos team, versus Imperial Vader, Unleashed and Republic Senator Palatine with fodder.
Our Mandalorian Quartermaster stood toe-to-toe and held a choke point against Vader for 4 rounds. Successfully parrying ~5 attacks (He had been gripped before) while the OR soldiers chewed through Vader's health 10 HP at a time (Darn Dark Armor saves). By the time the Quartermaster fell, Vader was brought down the next round, before he could base the Soldiers and ending the game. The Quartermaster was totally MVP.

This makes me want to build some rules for a Legacy version of the game. Not just campaign where units lost never return, but where units who do exceptionally well gain greater attributes or abilities. Like that Tusken mentioned earlier could rank up and become more powerful!
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 11:51:44 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
In 2015, I was playing Dance of Death (Caedus/Barriss) in the GenCon championships for the first time. Getting a great Sith Battle Manipulation is... well... great. But the best one of those was probably against Weeks, who was running Elite Republic Commandos. (Probably not so great from his point of view, though.)

It was great for a couple reasons. First, because he was the 2014 GenCon champ, so beating the reigning champ is cool. Second, because it was such a great "comeback". I had the Juggernaut serving as a Crab-Armor+Force-Attuned Armor bodyguard for everyone, but he eventually shot through him. By then I had a good amount of Force points stored up. But he took out pretty everyone except Barriss and Caedus. I had enough Force (and Master of the Force 3) that I was essentially able to take out the whole squad in two activations. I ran Barriss in and ran as many people as I could around the Mines with SBM. He out-activated me so he naturally killed Barriss and put a decent amount of damage on Caedus. At the top of the next round, I still had enough Force to slide the rest of his squad into a pit and use Caedus to kill anyone who made their pit saves.

I've had some good SBM sequences, but none better than that one.

Dance of Death!! what a beast squad name, and hahah pit throwing I remember that...epic...