RegisterDonateLogin

It was meant to help you.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Map pack 8 in 2019. Options
Jedicartographer
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 10:17:31 AM
Groups: Member

Hey everyone, hope you're all having a good holiday season.

It turns out that I still have a few Maps that I haven't released yet, along with a few that people have been asking for reprints on.

It's been a few years since I focused primarily on competitive friendly Maps. I would like map pack 8 to at least be more geared towards the good old days did they have the last few map packs.

There's definitely going to be the command level of some sort of star Destroyer type ship. There's also going to be another desert themed map. I'm thinking two or three reprints of maps that were on the restricted list that have been out of print. And I think beyond that I would like to focus on locations from the recent movies.

I basically need some sort of affirmation from people still playing this game that they want new maps. I'll be honest, 90% of the people buying these Maps aren't using them for Star Wars miniatures anymore. With that said I still have a pretty strong connection to the game, and want to continue to do whatever needs to be done to keep it fresh.

My hope is to have map pack 8 be a larger collection then the other map packs which are usually anywhere from six to eight Maps. Ideally I would like this one to be 10 or 12 Maps. Enough to keep things fresh at least for a year or so.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 2:04:06 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I'm in for Star Wars Minis maps.
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 5:14:59 PM

Heck yes in for new maps, especially from the latest movies.
cassekiel
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 7:25:50 PM

I'm in for sure! That would be awesome
Jedicartographer
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2018 8:31:40 AM

2 things:

1. I need to know what needs to be reprinted. I'm leaning towards Royal Plaza, Spynet HQ, Rhen Var citadel, with updated art. And Jabbas Palace with updated art. If there are maps that are a tweak or 2 away from the restricted list, i'm not above making those tweaks. I really would love a few of these maps, and would line to see them get more use, like Oasis Outpost, or Mushroom Planet.

2. Is bloomilk a dead avenue for this stuff? Its infested with bot posts

cassekiel
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2018 9:34:10 AM

Have you posted in the facebook groups to check interest? I am not really sure how much the bloomilk forums are monitored anymore. The reason I ask I is if you have posted an interest check on facebook I haven't seen it, which would be weird as I usually mindlessly scroll through the feed at least once per day BigGrin
kezzamachineII
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2018 10:02:48 AM

I LIVE FOR MAPS!
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2018 11:02:30 AM

This is the dead season (fall through Christmas). Forums are like this every year these months.

I'll look through the top maps that haven't been reprinted yet. I'd say probably not Royal Plaza since it has already been printed twice.

A couple of my favorites that I'd like to see tweaked to maybe make restricted... Oceanic Facility and Galactic Truck Stop. Sorry those aren't the actual names. I'll need to look them up. The Fueling Station is from Map Pack 3. Oceanic Facility from Map Pack 5.

Incidentally, 10 or 12 maps isn't really large. It's the norm now. This is from memory so I might be off by a couple but I think these are the numbers:

Map Pack 1: 6 maps
Map Pack 2: 8 maps
Map Pack 3: 8 maps (Desert Outpost)
Map Pack 4: 8 maps (Fortresses)
Map Pack 5: 14 maps (Capital City=8 maps, +2 more double-sided=4 maps, +1 kickstarter exclusive=2maps. 14 total)
Map Pack 6: 10 maps (Pirates' Moon=8 maps, +1 more double-sided=2maps. 10 total)
Map Pack 7: 10 maps
Jedicartographer
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2018 11:07:56 AM

I'm pretty set on Royal Plaza and Spynet HQ being in it, but there will be plenty of new stuff to offset anyone's disappointment.
Jedicartographer
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2018 11:09:19 AM

What about the bonus map Blue Squadron Headquarters, I took a glance at that, a few tweaks might make that a candidate. People are always asking me about that one
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2018 12:23:10 PM

Jedicartographer wrote:
I'm pretty set on Royal Plaza and Spynet HQ being in it, but there will be plenty of new stuff to offset anyone's disappointment.

I have them all, so it doesn't matter to me personally which reprints are in there. I was just thinking that Royal Plaza was one that people generally had access to already, but I could be wrong about that.

As far as map characteristics, recent pieces have greatly accelerated the advance to engagement with more Battle Ready and things like it. Overall, I think that's a good thing for speeding games up, but for squads that want later engagement, it reduces the number of map options. Maps like Rhen Var that require some winding around before engagement are relatively rare. Kind of a tricky balance, though, to make a map that delays engagement until round 2 even after Battle Ready, etc... and yet isn't painfully slow overall.
cassekiel
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2018 4:36:31 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Jedicartographer wrote:

I have them all, so it doesn't matter to me personally which reprints are in there. I was just thinking that Royal Plaza was one that people generally had access to already, but I could be wrong about that.

As far as map characteristics, recent pieces have greatly accelerated the advance to engagement with more Battle Ready and things like it. Overall, I think that's a good thing for speeding games up, but for squads that want later engagement, it reduces the number of map options. Maps like Rhen Var that require some winding around before engagement are relatively rare. Kind of a tricky balance, though, to make a map that delays engagement until round 2 even after Battle Ready, etc... and yet isn't painfully slow overall.

I am good with any reprints.

If I may chime in on Rhen Var though: it seems to me that it HEAVILY favors the player that starts on the Repair Station and Generator room. Maybe others have had a different experience with this but I have never seen someone start on the opposite side and not get creamed in a skirmish. If you could tweak this map to make it a bit more even (and DCI legal) that would be awesome.

Royal Plaza is a classic so I don't blame you for doing that one.

If you are taking votes for others I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see the Dark Academy get reprinted (has the large Grand Hall on the left).

And of course I always like seeing your new maps as well.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2018 9:46:56 PM

Over the years, Rhen Var has been on the restricted list as often as just about any other non-WotC map.
General_Grievous
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2018 10:56:43 AM

Jedicartographer wrote:
What about the bonus map Blue Squadron Headquarters, I took a glance at that, a few tweaks might make that a candidate. People are always asking me about that one

That's a great option, if you open up the doors from one to three wide then it would really open it up for huges.
AceAce
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2018 6:04:41 PM

I am in as well, can't wait
DarthMaim
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2019 4:45:37 AM

I'm in!

I'd like that exclusive Sith map to be included ( the one that was made many many years ago and was only available to a tourney winner and also for peops that made a super high pledges on of the map pack at that time ).

I also never got the Felucia map from map pack one, back in the day.

Thanks ThumpUp
DarthMaim
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2019 8:39:07 AM

DarthMaim wrote:
I'm in!

I'd like that exclusive Sith map to be included ( the one that was made many many years ago and was only available to a tourney winner and also for peops that made a super high pledges on of the map pack at that time ).

I also never got the Felucia map from map pack one, back in the day.

Thanks ThumpUp

Still hoping for the exclusive "Sith "map and the Felucia map ThumpUp