RegisterDonateLogin

Can't see a thing in this helmet.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Question about cover and nearest enemy Options
Zuckuss
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:39:51 PM
Groups: Member

Hi,
One of my players had a questions about this during a game last week and though the answer would seem obvious I just wanted to clarify with the online community.\

The closest enemy is the closest legal target, right?

for example

character A wants to attack character B who is eight squares away in cover. Character C is 6 squares away from Character A but is not in LoS. Player B would be able to be targetted. Right?

Thanks for the help
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:42:13 PM

b is your legal target for an attack. however, if C were within 6 squares, but no in LoS, you could use grenades, lightning and any other abilty that does damage and has a range of 6.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:42:55 PM

Sorry, didnt realize C was within 6 already.
Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:45:20 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

It would be closest enemy within LOS. This is covered in the rulebook.

However, it doesn't necessarily mean they are a legal target. Most SA's that prevent them from being a legal target prevent this loop hole, but there are still some instances around.
Zuckuss
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:52:39 PM

Thanks for the input everyone.
Basically what I wanted to clarify was that even if C is closer that doesnt prevent A from attacking B. It's not like A would be prevented from attacking just because the closest enemy was not a legal target
MAINEiac
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 2:44:11 PM

Mandalore Da Beast wrote:
b is your legal target for an attack. however, if C were within 6 squares, but no in LoS, you could use grenades, lightning and any other abilty that does damage and has a range of 6.

wait, gernades, lightening, etc does NOT require line of sight, but rather Just an enemy to be within 6?
thanks,
MAINEiac
Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 2:53:23 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

MAINEiac wrote:

wait, gernades, lightening, etc does NOT require line of sight, but rather Just an enemy to be within 6?
thanks,
MAINEiac

No. Those abilities follow normal targetting rules, which requires LOS.
seibermaki
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 3:01:02 PM

I was gonna say, WTF?

I wish it was like D&D minis though, where you can throw a grenade at a spot on the ground, and affect a radius from that spot...
StevenO
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 4:12:21 PM

seibermaki wrote:
I was gonna say, WTF?

I wish it was like D&D minis though, where you can throw a grenade at a spot on the ground, and affect a radius from that spot...

That must be one of the changes they made to DDM 2.0 because in the DDM I played you still had to target a character for the center of the effect and usually the closest character besides.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 12:21:00 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Dude, I want to play in your league! Blink
New Remote control lightning New
seibermaki
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:58:57 AM

StevenO wrote:
seibermaki wrote:
I was gonna say, WTF?

That must be one of the changes they made to DDM 2.0 because in the DDM I played you still had to target a character for the center of the effect and usually the closest character besides.

Possibly. The newest retail Battle Rules have Area Attacks(page 27 in the book). It's from the starter that has the green dragon, yuan-ti, human, elf, and dwarf.

Basically, a spell(maybe not a "grenade" per se) might have an attribute called radius X... X being a number which is the number of squares that make up the radius.

Radius go from 1 - 4. Radius 1 affects 9 squares. Radius 2 affects 16. Radius 3 affects 42. Radius 4 affects 64 squares.

Oh, but it's partly how you remember.. except you can target a vacant square.

You do need to have Line of Sight to the vacant square that acts as the origin, and the nearest target must be in the area of effect. There's also a range limit, depending on the spell or special ability.
Nogo Nabelyk
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 6:34:03 AM

Confused Star Wars miniatures can cast spells now?Blink

CursingWHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?!?!Bomb
kenred2
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 6:42:38 AM

I believe you need LoS to target an enemy with grenades and/or other abilities that are range 6. Nearest enemy is also applied when choosing enemy target

Abilities that do not require LoS is Kouhun Infestation... but nearest enemy for choosing targets still apply.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:41:52 AM

ive never used LoS for grenades. it would make sense to me to need to have LoS.
seibermaki
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:47:54 AM

Nogo Nabelyk wrote:
Confused Star Wars miniatures can cast spells now?Blink

CursingWHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?!?!Bomb

Sorry for the confusion, I had commented that I wished you could do a grenade at a vacant square on the map, much like the SPELLS in D&D Minis. And then I proceeded to explain what the newer rulebook for D&D Minis says about so-called Area Attacks.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:45:46 AM

i just dont remember reading anything that said i need LoS for grenades.
if minis were in real time (which ofcourse, they arent), if my ally was being shot at from an enemy around a corner, and i was around the other side of that corner, i was toss a grenade and hope that the cluster would wound the enemy.
crack on me all you want, but you know that makes more sense then to actually needing LoS.
i cant tell you how many times ive seen WW2 and Vietnam war documentaries where guys throw blind grenades, and they hit.
but silly me for thinking that real time should have anything to do with this game.
the lightning, well, i dunno. i remember Dooku in the AoTC flick, zapping Anakin with Lightning, and tossing him in another direction with said lightning. to me, thats control, and if someone is around the corner, why shouldnt you be able hit someone within 6, without LoS.
this game gets slightly more dissappointing everyday.Bored
Darth Percocet
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:00:18 AM

i just dont remember reading anything that said i need LoS for grenades.
if minis were in real time (which ofcourse, they arent), if my ally was being shot at from an enemy around a corner, and i was around the other side of that corner, i was toss a grenade and hope that the cluster would wound the enemy.
crack on me all you want, but you know that makes more sense then to actually needing LoS.
i cant tell you how many times ive seen WW2 and Vietnam war documentaries where guys throw blind grenades, and they hit.
but silly me for thinking that real time should have anything to do with this game.
the lightning, well, i dunno. i remember Dooku in the AoTC flick, zapping Anakin with Lightning, and tossing him in another direction with said lightning. to me, thats control, and if someone is around the corner, why shouldnt you be able hit someone within 6, without LoS.
this game gets slightly more dissappointing everyday.Bored

I agree 100%, it would make more sense to be able to do that. Basically though from how i determaine stuff like that, i may be wrong but whenever something say Target Enemy then it means you have to be able to have LOS & the targeting rules apply, only time it wouldnt is if it states specifically on the card " Regardless Of Line Of Sight" such as Kohuun Infestation..
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:06:33 AM

AAARRRGGHH!!!Cursing
I dunno. maybe its just time to get with one of the leagues and do this the right way. cuz apparently, ive been playing WRONG the whole frikking time!
kenred2
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:35:30 PM

AAARRRGGHH!!!Cursing
I dunno. maybe its just time to get with one of the leagues and do this the right way. cuz apparently, ive been playing WRONG the whole frikking time!

That's why we're here to help answer any questions regarding with the rules and other discrepancies. So don't be afraid to ask, unless if it's already said in the rulebook
EmporerDragon
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:18:26 PM

kenred2 wrote:
So don't be afraid to ask, unless if it's already said in the rulebook

And even then, we'll still answer, but also point out where the answer is.