RegisterDonateLogin

I'll try stirring, that's a good trick.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

"Commander's Office" aka Ruined Base map question... Options
seibermaki
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 8:55:07 AM
Groups: Member

I couldn't find a FAQ or Errata for this specific map, so I'm asking here...

In what DCI calls the Commander's Office(the Ruined Base from Attack on Endor) map, there's a broken wall near the top of the map, in the left of the Destroyed Office. It looks like you should be able to walk through that. However, there is a red line crossing it.

Am I correct to think that you it's considered a wall, even though the art looks like it isn't supposed to be?

I know there's a similar instance in the FAQ about the Starship map(Revenge of the Sith starter), so I'm thinking the same applies to the Commander's Office map too.

I just want to make sure before I play Saturday at my first tournament! :)

Thanks in advance!
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 10:42:28 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

You go by the color lines, not the artwork.
seibermaki
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 10:50:45 AM

Ok, good to know for sure. And in case someone at the tourney tries to go through there.
Darth Percocet
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 10:54:11 AM

Sithborg wrote:
You go by the color lines, not the artwork.

Yup thats basically right, which sithborg is always. Alot of maps have broken walls also as lonk as the redish purple line isnt running through where you wanna move, you can, unless its a pit but im sure you know all of this.

On that note, Sithborg, on some maps the redish line is sticking out past the wall, meaning the wall / door will stop but the line still goes out maybe a cenimeter. Do you disgard how the line extends or is there a ruling for it? thanx buddy
Jester007
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 10:57:43 AM

If the pink line of a wall goes into another square and does not clearly end at a corner, they are considered not to exist in that square. Can't be perfect when there are 748 spaces on most maps. =)

Sincerely,
Jester007
Darth Percocet
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 12:25:38 PM

Jester007 wrote:
If the pink line of a wall goes into another square and does not clearly end at a corner, they are considered not to exist in that square. Can't be perfect when there are 748 spaces on most maps. =)

Sincerely,
Jester007

Thats what i figured but better just to make sure, basically some maps have it & in some spots made no sense if it worked the other way as if you were to take them in effect.. thanx Jester..
Mickey
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 2:06:35 PM

I saw on gamers that there are some maps that are not lined correctly. I'm not sure of the list of these maps. Apparently these maps were reprinted for league play with the proper lining.
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 2:10:30 PM

Mickey wrote:
I saw on gamers that there are some maps that are not lined correctly. I'm not sure of the list of these maps. Apparently these maps were reprinted for league play with the proper lining.

The Cloud City and Mos Eisely maps from the UM books were released before rough terrain existed.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 6:18:23 AM

i have a mos Eisley map from one of the old RPG books, forgot which one it was. it has no lines for Terrain description at all. is it legal to use that map in tourney play?
prolly not because its from the RPG book, but i want to make sure as i am starting a "mock League" tomorrow.
if the turnover works out well enough, we will have tourneys every sunday at 1pm.
wish us luck!ThumbsUp
Sithborg
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 7:04:13 AM

No, since it has no terrain lines at all. For fun, though, as long as you are aware of the correct lines, it should be okay.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 7:17:37 AM

ill probably just use that map for personal use instead of actual competitive play then.
its obvious that what is what as far as raised and low terrain is, but i have not the patience to explain that to noobs.
seibermaki
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 6:23:48 PM

Mandalore Da Beast wrote:
ill probably just use that map for personal use instead of actual competitive play then.
its obvious that what is what as far as raised and low terrain is, but i have not the patience to explain that to noobs.

MAINEiac and I played that map from the RPG book. We did try to play according to actual terrain. It wasn't bad. He does have the legal version with the lines now though, so no biggie. It's a fun map.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 7:47:01 PM

yea, i enjoy it too, but i dont want to go through the motions of explaining what should be green, and what should be yellow. too many new guys to deal with tomorrow, and i know im going to drive myself crazy explaining stuff. that map would make me want to end my misery for sure.
im actually seeking that map out (with the terrain outlines), but i dont want to buy that 30 dollar ultimate missions book. my guy at the LGS has had the Mustafar ultimate missions book and that one for 2 or three years now, and still wont come down on the price.Cursing
EmporerDragon
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 8:23:18 PM

One thing to note though, only the League Kit version is DCI legal, the RS Ultimate Missions version is not.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 6:30:51 AM

whats the difference between the two? if you dont mind my asking.....
i know Mustafar is illegal, which i dont understand why (not trying to be difficult or anything, i just wanna figure out which maps are illegal and why)
EmporerDragon
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 6:42:28 AM

The League Kit Map versions of Mos Eisley and Bespin have wall lines over windows and some squares of terrain changed.

Mustafar is illegal because it's horribly unbalanced as a melee squad has barely any chance of winning against a shooter-based squad.

Maps are generally banned because one side or type of squad has a huge advantage over it. The main rationale is that games should be decided by player skill, not by squad or map.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 6:54:46 AM

wall lines over windows?
so does that mean someone cant open a window and shoot through it, like a door? (after your turn ofcourse, where you have used your turn to open the window/door).
or are windows really meant for scenario play.
ive played skirmishes where you open the window as if it were a door (without going through it, ofcourse), where you would be provided cover, and depending where your enemy was placed, he would have cover.

so i guess what im asking is, can i utilize windows for my ranged attackers, or are the windows just novelty?
seibermaki
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 7:07:29 AM

Ignorant question I know, but how do you get League Kit versions of maps? Is it something you can order from Wizards?
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 7:18:50 AM

thats not an ignorant question at all!
i want to know the same thing!ThumbsUp
EmporerDragon
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 7:32:47 AM

Trading or Ebay would be the only options as the League Kits were discontinued quite some time ago.