RegisterDonateLogin

Just like Beggar's Canyon back home.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Collection Organizing/Holding Suggestions? Options
Space Jawa
Posted: Monday, September 7, 2009 6:57:12 AM
Groups: Member

Right now, I'm using boxes my minis came in to hold them, and it's not a very sophisticated method either (the CW Starter for my largest team, a Universe box for the bulk of my figures, and a CW Booster for my misc 'keeps'). I'm at the point, however, where I'm looking to upgrade.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations for what route I should go. I'd like to get something that could hold most my minis while still allowing me to organizing them, but what I've seen so far along that route isn't promising (fishing box slots are too small in most cases, sewing boxes aren't big enough to hold enough of them without buying more than I want, etc). I've considered simply getting plastic containers and separating figures with plastic bags, but I'm not all that keen on going this route.

So anyone willing to share their wisdom on such matters with me?
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Monday, September 7, 2009 7:01:19 AM

i went to walmart last year and got a craft case in the craft department, it ran me about 20 bucks. its large enough for me to store my cards in, which all have either Top loaders and magnetic protectors. it still has enough room in it to store two medium sized flat tackle cases. now ofcourse, if you have a buttload of minis, yer best bet would be to get a large tackle box, which will also run you about 20 bucks.
hope that helps.
hothie
Posted: Monday, September 7, 2009 3:02:19 PM

http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4777&hilit=stanley

This thread has the best cases I've seen so far. They hold tons of minis, and you can find them at Home Depot in the tools section for about $26 or so now.

ALittleOnTheLightside
Posted: Monday, September 7, 2009 7:09:12 PM

I just use a giant tackle box I got at walmart for $20. It works really good, but with my collection I might have to get 2.
The Madman
Posted: Monday, September 7, 2009 7:35:25 PM

something to consider
storage (of your collection) vs
what you bring to the shop each time you play

Plano and Stanley make some really great cases

but TRUST ME
you do not need a full 1/3 of your minis
pack what you will (seriously) play
Biggsy
Posted: Monday, September 7, 2009 11:38:39 PM

If you look closely at the first and second picture here on Gamers http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4777&hilit=stanley, you see some Stanley organizers with yellow handles (model 1-92-762). That's what i use for my non-uniques and large minis. There's 4-26 adjustable compartments in each case, so they're easy to customize. For my huge's, i've got some big cardboard storage boxes. I wanted to use Stanley 014708R, but i can't get them where i live and shipping is way too expensive. My uniques are stored in little baggies, but i'm looking for a safer and easier way to store them. So far, the best option i've found is Plano 3700 but i'd really like something with smaller compartents so that all the figures are in a separate slot. I'm open for any good ideas!
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, September 7, 2009 11:59:39 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

The Madman wrote:
something to consider
storage (of your collection) vs
what you bring to the shop each time you play

Plano and Stanley make some really great cases

but TRUST ME
you do not need a full 1/3 of your minis
pack what you will (seriously) play

QFT BlooMilk

My son and I have a couple "Bait Box" cases that I think were made by Plano. 4 flat trays with dividers = 24 equal size bins and one double size per tray. Trays slide into the case and the side folds up and clasps shut over them. Great for small/med base and certain larges. Around $16 last time I found one. Can't find 'em around here any more or I'd buy 3 or 4 more. The case in the link Hothie posted looks awesome, so I will have to drive to the nearest Home Depot when I get a chance and look for that one.

Other than that we have around a dozen flat trays (mostly Plano) of varying size/design, some of them clip on to each other, and one large tool box that holds most of the huges. The tool box has two small cases that snap in to the lid. Those have been great for squads and dice when we go to the LGS, but are sub-optimal for the cards as they don't lay flat due to slot size. I usually take a deck box for the cards.

If that many boxes sounds a bit extreme, I'll just say 1) we have a lot of stuff, and 2) I try to keep everything separated as much as possible (even down to different sculpts of the same non-unique pieces). That isn't really practical for everything, so some figs do share slots, but all factions have their own case(s).

For card storage, I think the two trapper binders we have probably serve us best as we can easily flip through them. We are about maxed out on space in those until I finish culling out the extras that we will trade or give away.
DarthJak
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 4:23:07 AM

Check out a Plano model 737. ($35?) it has a wide
range of options to fit all kinds of SWM supplies.
I use a big, black ,and yellow, mobile Stanley tool box ($20) with wheels and a towing handle for my bigger pieces.ThumpUp Found both at Walmart.

I found pix and am trying to add them to post, I not to computer literate.Unsure
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 6:25:53 AM

yea darth, i know which model yer talkin about too, that a pretty darn good one.
that was the first TB i had gotten, then i had to downsize my minis.
Rabid Wookiee
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 12:04:03 PM

I use Snapware plastic organizers that I bought at Target. As you get more minis, you can just keep stacking and snapping plastic boxes together. I use the thin boxes for cards, the medium boxes for regular minis, and the large ribbon boxes for huge minis.

Here's what they look like:

http://www.amazon.com/Craft-Organizer-Box-Rectangle-Snapware/dp/B000RE5Y82/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1252454304&sr=8-17

http://www.amazon.com/SNAPWARE-Medium-Rectangle-Craft-Organizer/dp/B0011453YC/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1252454271&sr=8-12

http://www.amazon.com/Ribbon-Dispenser-Stack-Craft-Organizer/dp/B000XASN4M
swsf17
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 12:06:58 PM

I use thoes boxes for my minis. they are great because when you run out of room you just buy one or two more.
Mickey
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 12:20:49 PM

I use card board boxes--I'm cheap ThumbsUp I have some that the medical supplies come in here at work with flaps that hold them shut. Kind of look like cigar boxes. Then all my cards are sleeved and stored in mailing boxes that you ship minis in.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 12:26:45 PM

I use two rolling carts for my minis: A 6-drawer ornament cart for my minis and a large 3-drawer cart for my huges and supplies. Cards are kept in binders with excess cards (ones I have more than 5 of) kept in hard plastic deck boxes. Dice are also stored in a hard plastic deck box.

swmimperial130
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 1:57:33 PM

EmporerDragon wrote:
I use two rolling carts for my minis: A 6-drawer ornament cart for my minis and a large 3-drawer cart for my huges and supplies. Cards are kept in binders with excess cards (ones I have more than 5 of) kept in hard plastic deck boxes. Dice are also stored in a hard plastic deck box.

O.o
How much is that???????
Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 2:48:59 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

I like me some Plano. Still have quite a few, since I think my Rep, Reb, and Imp have expanded beyond 3 trays. Still, it is handy for some of the Affinity pieces, grab the box with Rangers and Younglings whenever I take OR or NR.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 3:23:30 PM

swmimperial130 wrote:

O.o
How much is that???????

I got it post-Christmas clearance for about 10 bucks.

Similar racks generally go for around $30-40, though one can easily find them on sale for less.
curler88j
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 4:02:53 PM

I use craft boxes that i get for less than two dollars apiece at my local hobby store to store my minis.
dperron
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:06:06 AM

I use numerous tackle boxes and craft boxes (as everyone else does). I also use 10 binders of varying size to separate the faction cards. As I am the only one of my friends that own minis, everyone uses my collection to play. So, I have it set up for relatively easy mobility and ease of use. Each faction binder starts at the highest point-valued piece and works its way down. I separate the pieces by faction and then by a combination of uniqueness and point value. Example, I have 7 craft cases for the Fringe alone. The first 2 are the unique pieces, the rest start at the highest value and go down. So, if I'm looking for ewoks, I know they're in case 7. This method makes for quick game play when everyone playing hasn't has time to construct teams ahead of time.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:50:39 AM

i like the notebook idea, but everytime ive used a book, my crads get those weird indention from the notebook ribbing. i just go with top loaders and magnetic holders...
Darth Percocet
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:04:02 PM

As someone mentioned, the boxes from Walmart are great. I have almost 700 figures & have a suitecase to hold all of my boxes from Walrmart in there. Im talkin about the boxes that are like $5 & come with single pieces of plastic slots to make whatever space in the box whatever size you want it. They are flat & fit in suitecases.

Also as some stated there are big tackleboxes that will pretty much hold everything you got. For stat cards i use a baseball card white box to hold my uniques, my uniques hold them in a sleeve & then a toploader. But for my Uc's & C's cards, i put them all in sleeves & baught a Binder with the ultrapro sleeve pages that hold 9 cards a page. They are like $5 for 30 pages at K-Mart. I put the card in a sleeve then slide them into one of the pages, & i got them seperated by notebook labelers you stick on your pages (the different colored tabs) & thats how i keep track of my stuff..