RegisterDonateLogin

Is braver than I thought.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

R4 & Wicket Options
MrSmileys
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:56:09 AM
Groups: Member

Ok my question is pretty basic, does Wickets Traps SA stack with the R4's Targeting SA effectively giving and enemy char within 6 a -8 defense.

I think that it does because they are both SAs and not CEs but i wanted to check
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:58:03 AM

Im going to go with yes, because they are seperate abilities.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:04:25 AM

Yes, they are different abilities, so they stack. You could even throw in a Flanking Support for a total of -12 defense.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:07:48 AM

that would give Exar Kun an 11 to defense....thats just wrong.....
MrSmileys
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:15:39 AM

Mandalore Da Beast wrote:
that would give Exar Kun an 11 to defense....thats just wrong.....

Yes...yes it is.

Thanks guys for the input.

Now though i have two other questions: if the SAs had the same name would they still stack? and with R4s targeting SA, because it does not specify a time to use the ability (IE: end of turn, only on your turn, Beginning of round) does this mean that it can be used at any time. I looked to see if there was an errata on it but did not find one.

Quote:
Targeting

Until the end of the round, target enemy has -4 Defense

Thanks in advance for the help.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:20:32 AM

being that its the same ability, im going to go with no. it falls in the stacking category.
because if you ran a squad of all r4s and a really good shooter, you would almost undoubtedly win.

Jester007
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:00:40 AM

@Mr.Smileys

For your first question, the answer is no. Two of the same named abilities/effects cannot stack. If there are two interacting, then you pick the better of the two.

Example:

Luke Skywalker, Rebel Commando has Cunning Attack (+4 attack and +10 damage) on his card. Crix Madine gives him Cunning Attack +20 (+4 attack and +20 damage). Luke would not get to use both, he would get to use the Cunning Attack +20 since it's the better version.

As to your second question, the Targetting from the R4 can only be used on their turn. Since it does not replace attacks/turn, it is what we call a "zero time power". You can use it at any point during it's turn. You can use it and then move up to 12 squares, or move up to 12 squares and use the ability.

However, you cannot move 6 use Targetting, and then move the remaining 6. If you start moving, you must come to a stop to use the SA and stay where you are at.

Hope that clarified a little.

Sincerely,
Jester007
MrSmileys
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:36:54 AM

Ok the stacking part makes sense. and i can roll with the whole zero time abilities. but normally they specify that the ability can only be used on that chars turn so when it did not specify i was thinking you might be able to use it at any time.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 11:33:49 AM

thats Wizards way of saving Cartridge ink i suppose....
Darth Percocet
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 2:27:33 PM

Yea targeting dont stack because you would be using the same ability, with Traps from Wicket even though it gives the same effect its a different named abilitiy. Works like how Cunning Attack would stack with Advantageous Attack. Both give you +10 damage for the same non activation enemy, they are two different named abilities though.

So even though targeting wouldnt stack, you could still use mutiple R4's & target mutiple different enemies & have wicket drop traps to make it a total of -8 Defense for enemies within 6 squares..
MrSmileys
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2009 6:47:30 AM

Ok here is another thought. Because it is a zero time ability does that mean that i can use it a bunch to effectively give the whole enemy squad -4 defense for the rest of the round. There is nothing in the ability saying that you can not use it more then once (IE replaces attacks) and with other abilities (IE sith sorcery) that dont specify replaces attacks or turn you can use them multiple times (with force powers you need to have MOTF# of course).
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2009 7:31:49 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

MrSmileys wrote:
Ok here is another thought. Because it is a zero time ability does that mean that i can use it a bunch to effectively give the whole enemy squad -4 defense for the rest of the round. There is nothing in the ability saying that you can not use it more then once (IE replaces attacks) and with other abilities (IE sith sorcery) that dont specify replaces attacks or turn you can use them multiple times (with force powers you need to have MOTF# of course).

No, the only way the R4 could use it twice in the same round would be if you used Pawn of the Dark Side on it, which grants an immediate (extra) turn. I can't think of any other situations currently in the game that could achieve that result.

That is an interesting thought... Sneaky
MrSmileys
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2009 7:56:06 AM

but the thing is, the ability does not say that and there is no errata on it in order to have it say that where other abilities say, once per turn, end of turn, when activated. Im not saying that i dont understand what you mean. Im just saying that normally we play by what the card/ability says. I looked through all the other abilities in the SA glossary and i could not find one other then this one that did not specify when or how many times it could be used. So i figure as long as they are a legal target (According to the card) you can hit them with the ability and you can hit as many as you want.
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2009 8:16:09 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

MrSmileys wrote:
but the thing is, the ability does not say that and there is no errata on it in order to have it say that where other abilities say, once per turn, end of turn, when activated. Im not saying that i dont understand what you mean. Im just saying that normally we play by what the card/ability says. I looked through all the other abilities in the SA glossary and i could not find one other then this one that did not specify when or how many times it could be used. So i figure as long as they are a legal target (According to the card) you can hit them with the ability and you can hit as many as you want.

Ah yes, I see what you are saying, but other abilities/powers that allow you to target multiple characters always say so - for example Blaster Barrage, Furious Assault, Lightsaber Throw 3/5, etc... I think the distinction is drawn there, not on the zero-time part...

MrSmileys
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2009 9:16:45 AM

but the difference i see with that is that all those abilities specify replaces 'something' where as targeting does not. and as far as i know there is nothing in the rules about only being able to use a special ability once per turn. so with the case of furious assult you only use the ability once.
MrSmileys
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2009 9:18:56 AM

ok never mind. I looked in the rules insert for the JA set and it says:
Quote:
Targeting: Once per turn on its turn, this character can choose an enemy within line of sight, following all the usual rules for choosing a target. The target has –4 Defense
until the end of the round. It doesn’t take any time to use Targeting; the character can still move and attack normally this turn.
Darth Percocet
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2009 9:53:56 AM

MrSmileys wrote:
ok never mind. I looked in the rules insert for the JA set and it says:
Quote:
Targeting: Once per turn on its turn, this character can choose an enemy within line of sight, following all the usual rules for choosing a target. The target has –4 Defense
until the end of the round. It doesn’t take any time to use Targeting; the character can still move and attack normally this turn.

Yea basically when using a SA like Targeting, or any special abilitiy at that, can only use it one time on the characters turn, per turn. Only thing i can see of being able to use 2 abilities on a single characters turn would be with Tarpals & thats 2 abilities that replace attack only & also cant be for droids. I didnt think about the Pawn of the Darkside idea, not a bad idea actually. You can however use mutiple R4's to target mutiple enemies, by doing that then throw wicket within 6 of the enemies who have been targeted & Traps effects all enemies within 6.. so u can do that