RegisterDonateLogin

Lets the Wookiee win.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

CCC Week 143 - The Game-Changing Scrub Options
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2019 12:14:44 PM
Groups: Member

WOTC era was all about the next big thing to help drive sales, with each set being stronger and subsequently changing the game. Some via flashy commanders like Thrawn, Grievous, Wedge, Dodonna and the like, others being beastly warriors like Grandmaster Luke, Cad Bane or Dash. And some even being mashups of awesome terror (looking at you GOWK!). But amidst all this, there were always subtle cheap game changer pieces that by their sheer economic and tactical efficiency found, and still find, their way into many squads. The Ugnaught, Mouse Droid, and various Astromechs being some examples.

So the challenge this week is to create a <10 point game changer that has a new powerful and hopefully interesting mechanic and without breaking the game as much as WOTC would haha.

1. The character must be canonical to either of the Canon or Legends continuities and from the chosen faction when required. They can have affinity, but the character must start in the chosen faction.

2. You may update any existing versions you already have and/or create a new one. You may update/create several versions of the character but you must ultimately select 1 you wish to run with. (this must be done by the schedule below)

3. Place a hyperlink in this forum to make it easier to find your character. You can just post the stats or image here but if changes are needed it would be easier (and save space) if you just used a Hyperlink (If you don't know how to post Hyperlinks in a forum setting please ask and we will help you. It's not hard )

4. Voting works as follows, pick your three favorite customs based on accuracy to the character, design, balance or whatever you decide makes the best incarnation of the challenge character. First place receives 3 points, 2nd place receives 2 points, and 3rd place receives 1 point.

5. You do not have to enter the contest in order to vote. But unless you enter you must have at lest 10 forum posts.

6. To make things fair you must vote in order to win the contest. You must choose three characters entered in the contest and you may not rate or vote for your own character.

7. The winner will be decided by how many points they receive. Ties will be broken by most 1st place votes, then if still tied, 2nd place votes and then 3rd place votes. If still tied, then the outcome is a tie.

8. You may not change or update the entered character AFTER the deadline.

You will have until Sat, March 9, 2019 @8pm EST to get your submissions in. Anything submitted after this point will not be included in the voting.

Voting will start at 8pm on Saturday evening and end at 11pm EST on Monday, March 11, 2019.

At the conclusion of the voting the scores will be tallied and the winner will start a new topic with their choice of theme.
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2019 12:59:42 PM

adamb0nd
Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2019 2:02:25 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2019 7:52:21 PM

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/35599/taurill

My attempt at creating a game changer. Trigger Weapon is intended as a hard counter to ABM (making a save automatically cancels Force abilities) and a softer counter to CEs.
Oakel
Posted: Friday, March 8, 2019 12:13:42 PM

I made this one for a previous CCC, but didn't end up submitting it because I had not fleshed it out enough yet.

I've tried to condense it down, and still keep what made it interesting. Definitely has the potential to be game changing. Is it too much? Too little? You decide.

Mobile Holoprojector
Oakel
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2019 10:49:49 AM

I love the prompt for this weeks CCC, its fun to think about game challenging mechanics that can fit in a low cost unit.

1. Adamb0nd - simple, effective door control. Limited by proximity, but potent alternative to an uggie if you want to leave doors intact.

2. Gandalf - Definitely has power to be impactful when used effectively. What happens when you only have 1 Taurill left? Can it still trigger weapon with no ally to damage? My one critique is that its a bit challenging to wrap my head around how it works and how to play it.

3. GG - Solid, clear value as a low cost swappable "sith pawn"/"health pack"... seems a little odd to have 1 defense though. Even 10 makes them an easy target, but perhaps you could use them to just waste attacks. Not sure how that thematically lines up to a bouncer, but then again I never played DF1.
General_Grievous
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2019 6:59:06 PM

Adam, very simple and quite thematic, what override should have probably always been. Though a sea of these guys would be annoying locking down gambit haha

Gandalf, interesting design and a nice way to counter Bastilla a bit. It does add the extra save which is balancing but does add time to the game so there is that. But cool brand new species.

Oakel, good point about comm-link not stacking, I would need to ask the rules geniuses for that. But I really like the core of your idea just maybe making it like the Yammosk and limit one per squad as a way to add in a CE later. Super creative though.

3rd Gandalf
2nd Adam
1st Oakel
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 9:45:22 PM

It seems its your Win Oakel! Good piece and post up the next one!
adamb0nd
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 5:36:54 AM

1 Grievous
2 gandalf
3 oakel - i like, but it feels TOO good. I could imagine just bringing in 10 of these guys to get ~400pts worth of commander effects.
Oakel
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 10:05:50 AM

I'm afraid to say that Adam makes it a tie GG! ;) Shall we coordinate one together?

Though Adam, I believe that since Comm-link is a special ability, a character could only benefit from 1 out of squad CE at a time.
adamb0nd
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 10:59:37 AM

Oakel wrote:
I'm afraid to say that Adam makes it a tie GG! ;) Shall we coordinate one together?

Though Adam, I believe that since Comm-link is a special ability, a character could only benefit from 1 out of squad CE at a time.

That comm-link point hadn't occurred to me. Sorry for the late vote.
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 5:47:21 PM

Sounds good to me Oakel, my only request is something elemental haha. Water, fire, etc... related but I'll let you ponder and post the new one