RegisterDonateLogin

Is quite enough to get me excited.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Lots of Ruling Questions (Part 3) Options
BZNintendo
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 3:28:45 PM
Groups: Member

Hello again everyone,
I am back with more ruling questions that have been building up the more me and my friends play. Hoping to get some answers for these so we can know how to handle these situations next time they arise.

1st Question: Does Damage Reduction reduce damage taken from Pawn of the Dark Side?

2nd Question: Can the electro staff ability (which activates a living character if an attack lands) stop a character from continuing to move if they are hit by it because of Attack of Opportunity?

3rd Question: Can you force a Draw Fire from an enemy shooter if they are adjacent to an ally but can clearly see the person with Draw Fire?

4th Question: Does a character using Grenades hurt themselves if they use it on an adjacent enemy?

5th Question: Can anyone clarify Darth Vader of Lothal's Rival ability? He's the one from V-set 11. His Rival ability states: "Cannot be in a squad with any commander without a Force rating who is not a Trooper." So this confuses me because is it saying he cannot be in the same squad with any commander unless they have a Force rating and they are also not a trooper. But what trooper commander has a Force rating? I have not seen one. I find it very hard to understand which commanders he can and cannot be with? Is it just basically you can only run him with other Force rating commanders and that's it? Because that's what I am getting at.

6th Question: Cab you start a character with emplacement on a Rebel trooper cart? Or is that not possible?

7th Question: How do you go about determining what something can heal when it comes to living characters on machinery? Characters like AT-RT, Luke's Landspeeder, ISP Speeder etc, can they be healed like normal with abilities like Heal 10? Can they be healed with the Bacta Tank since there are living characters on these big pieces of machinery? And can they also be repaired with things like industrial repair or what? Seems silly to think an entire big speeder is getting healed with Heal 10 just because there is a person on it yet its the speeder that is taking the damage kind of.

8th Question: Does Nute Gunray decrease Grevious on Wheel Bike's Speed 8 to Speed 4 with his terrible commander effect? I know it should with Grevious being a Cyborg but the Wheel Bike should not be getting slowed down but that's just me.

9th Question: If a Gungan Shield Bearer let's just say for this example mounts onto a character like the Rebel Troop Cart, can he protect the entire troop cart from blaster fire because being on the troop cart is also like being adjacent to it and his ability allows him to protect any ally who is adjacent to him? It makes sense on paper but looking at it on the game map doesn't seem right as they is no way the Gungan should be able to cover an entire troop cart with his small shield. This is just an idea one of my friends thought of in case we wanted to try faction-less battles where we can mix and match. And would this also apply for things like the AT-St or even the AT-AT? Seems way too crazy for that to work but just wondering.

10th Question: If a commander effects states something like: "Commandos gain Blank." Does that mean all allies with Commando in their name would gain the bonus or just commando followers since generally commanders can't benefit from other commander effects?

And that's all I got for now. Some of these questions I've been burning up to know the answer to but I also like to wait until I have gathered up a lot more questions so I can get them all answered at once and not just spam this question area with my posts.

Thanks for reading, I really appreciate this community.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 4:00:24 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

1. Yes.

2. I'm not sure- somebody else can probably answer this with more certainty than me.

3. A character can only use Draw Fire if they are a legal target for the character targeting. So if the enemy shooting is attacking an ally adjacent to it and the character with Draw Fire is not adjacent to the enemy, you may not use Draw Fire.

4. Yes.

5. Darth Vader of Lothal can be in a squad with any Trooper commanders (with the trooper keyword in their name or the special ability) and any commanders with a Force rating (assuming they do not have Rival for him). He can't be in a squad with any commanders who do not meet one of those two conditions.

6. No, you can't.

7. Characters with Mounted Weapon count as non-living, so you can't use Heal X on them. If they don't have Mounted Weapon or Droid, they can be healed with Heal X. Industrial Repair only works on characters with Mounted Weapon or Machinery, and no others.

8. No, Grievous won't gain Speed 4. He counts as non-living because he has Mounted Weapon (which overrides Cyborg, I believe). See below; Grievous would get Speed 4 from the original Nute Gunray (Universe) but not from Viceroy Nute Gunray (Battle of Theed).

9. Yes, all characters on the troop cart/ most kinds of transports count as being adjacent to each other, so if any of them are hit by an attack Energy Shield can be used. You can't be transported by the AT-ST or AT-AT so neither of those would work.

10. All commando allies.
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 4:15:09 PM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
1. Yes.

2. I believe so, though somebody else can probably answer this with more certainty than me.

3. A character can only use Draw Fire if they are a legal target for the character targeting. So if the enemy shooting is attacking an ally adjacent to it and the character with Draw Fire is not adjacent to the enemy, you may not use Draw Fire.

4. Yes.

5. Darth Vader of Lothal can be in a squad with any Trooper commanders (with the trooper keyword in their name or the special ability) and any commanders with a Force rating (assuming they do not have Rival for him). He can't be in a squad with any commanders who do not meet one of those two conditions.

6. No, you can't.

7. Characters with Mounted Weapon count as non-living, so you can't use Heal X on them. If they don't have Mounted Weapon or Droid, they can be healed with Heal X. Industrial Repair only works on characters with Mounted Weapon or Machinery, and no others.

8. No, Grievous won't gain Speed 4. He counts as non-living because he has Mounted Weapon (which overrides Cyborg, I believe).

9. Yes, all characters on the troop cart/ most kinds of transports count as being adjacent to each other, so if any of them are hit by an attack Energy Shield can be used. You can't be transported by the AT-ST or AT-AT so neither of those would work.

10. All commando allies.

All that is pretty much spot on.

2. Your question would apply to an unactivated character moving outside of its turn. Failing the Electrostaff save would not interrupt the movement, but the character would not be able to take its normal turn that round.
urbanjedi
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 4:16:55 PM

1. Yes. Damage reduction reduces any damage (except from a lightsaber or that specifies it is unpreventable) so would prevent pawn of the dark side damage as well as missile, force lightning, etc

2. no. the character has already activated and electro staff has no affect on moving. However if they were hit with something like snare rifle that would stop the character from moving any farther

3. no. draw fire says "if it can" . The person with draw fire would have to be a legal target, so also adjacent. If no one was adjacent the draw fire character still has to be a legal target so without cover, nearest enemy, the shooter has accurate, etc

4. yes. It works on the target and all adjacent characters. Same with some of the lightnings, missiles, cestas, etc

5. It means the commander has to meet 1 of 2 criteria. 1. Have a force rating or 2. Be a trooper
so legal people he can be with. Stormtrooper officer, Darth Sidious sith mastermind, scout trooper officer, imperial inquisitor
and CANNOT be in a squad with characters like Thrawn, Ozzel, Imperial Officer, GEneral Veers Hologram, etc

6. no. The only way to board a transport is to move or be moved adjacent to them. I do not believe there is anyway for a character with emplacement to end up on a transport since they can never move.

7. Characters are either Living or non-living. Luke's landspeeder is living (not a droid, no mounted weapon, not a force ghost so can be healed with heal). The AT-RT is not living (has mounted weapon) so cannot be healed with heal. Have to use industrial repair to remove damage from the AT-RT

8. Yes it would get speed 4. The wheelbike is an ally and is subject to commander effects, so unfortunately gains the speed 4. That is one of the reasons that some players consider Nute to be the worst mini ever.

Will answer more of these later when I have more time.
urbanjedi
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 4:23:33 PM

8. No, Grievous won't gain Speed 4. He counts as non-living because he has Mounted Weapon (which overrides Cyborg, I believe).

I always thought Cyborg trumped Mounted Weapon, but that shouldn't matter either way in this case.

Mounted weapon I don't believe has any bearing on whether a character is eligible for a CE. It is only Droid and Savage characters that are normally ineligible for CEs (unless the CE specifies), so even if the wheel bike was non-living it would still be eligible for the CE.

Also cyborg specifically says it is able to get CEs "Cyborgs can be affected by commander effects."

swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 4:26:16 PM

urbanjedi wrote:

8. Yes it would get speed 4. The wheelbike is an ally and is subject to commander effects, so unfortunately gains the speed 4. That is one of the reasons that some players consider Nute to be the worst mini ever.

Correct per the original Nute character.

Viceroy Nute specifies living allies, and Mounted Weapon does indeed trump Cyborg in that case.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 4:34:41 PM

Oh, yeah. You're right, I forgot to check the card and thought that it specified living.
BZNintendo
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 4:40:20 PM

Thanks for clearing that up. And also what I meant by saying the AT-ST and AT-AT is would energy shield protect those characters if the Gungan was adjacent to them and they were shot at? I am trying to look at this from a logical perspective and in reality they should not be able to due to the characters being protected are too huge for the Gungan's ability to work but I am guessing it still would work correct?
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 4:52:58 PM

Oh, yeah. You're right, I forgot to check the card and thought that it specified living.

I forgot too, until UrbanJ's post made me go look. Laugh
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 4:53:01 PM

Yes, Energy Shield works for the AT-AT and AT-ST as well.
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 5:21:51 PM

Yes, Energy Shield works for the AT-AT and AT-ST as well.

Yeah, Wizards didn't plan their rules for mixed-faction battles, much less the AT-AT being used outside of their scenario.

BZ, your group should just customize rules for Energy Shield and such as you see fit for your purposes. :)

urbanjedi
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 5:28:24 PM

urbanjedi wrote:

I always thought Cyborg trumped Mounted Weapon, but that shouldn't matter either way in this case.

Mounted weapon I don't believe has any bearing on whether a character is eligible for a CE. It is only Droid and Savage characters that are normally ineligible for CEs (unless the CE specifies), so even if the wheel bike was non-living it would still be eligible for the CE.

Also cyborg specifically says it is able to get CEs "Cyborgs can be affected by commander effects."

swinefeld wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
The Wheel Bike pieces have both Cyborg and Mounted Weapon. How are they classified? Living, non-living, or both "Living and Non-Living"? The answer is that they are non-living, but it should be in the FAQ.

Just some notes to assist with writing the FAQ for this:

The reason that a Cyborg with Mounted Weapon is considered nonliving is the definition of living itself:

A living character does not have the Mounted Weapon ability and is either a non-Droid or a Cyborg.

A Cyborg character counts as both a Droid and a living character, but a character with Mounted Weapon never counts as living.

Looks like I always thought wrong. From one of the earlier question threads. Cborg and mounted weapon produce a non-living character.
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 7:30:01 PM

urbanjedi wrote:

swinefeld wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
The Wheel Bike pieces have both Cyborg and Mounted Weapon. How are they classified? Living, non-living, or both "Living and Non-Living"? The answer is that they are non-living, but it should be in the FAQ.

Just some notes to assist with writing the FAQ for this:

The reason that a Cyborg with Mounted Weapon is considered nonliving is the definition of living itself:

A living character does not have the Mounted Weapon ability and is either a non-Droid or a Cyborg.

A Cyborg character counts as both a Droid and a living character, but a character with Mounted Weapon never counts as living.

Looks like I always thought wrong. From one of the earlier question threads. Cborg and mounted weapon produce a non-living character.

That's the jist. Mounted Weapon is the primary determining factor of non-living from WotC. Droid would be next. Cyborg straddles the fence by counting as Droid and as Living for purposes of various effects.

There are a handful of other goofy cases, like Bacta Tanks / Atgar Cannons are living, but also machines that can be 'healed' via Industrial Repair.

Bless your heart, SWM. Heart BlooMilk