RegisterDonateLogin

Was never a condition of our arrangement.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

How do you play SWM in 2020? Options
Bluebane
Posted: Monday, January 6, 2020 9:36:59 AM
Groups: Member

Hey old friends,

Just came back to the game after a couple years off. I've been trying to decide how to handle my collection to maximize my own nostalgia (I first started playing around 2006) and be able to still use old figures from Rebel Storm and Clone Strike, so I decided on the following house rules:

-The only factions are Rebel, Imperial, Republic, Separatist, and Fringe.

-No figures in the collection from sets after the card template changed (to avoid some of the power creep from later sets and keep the card style the same)

-No square bases (because they look gross)

The restrictions make me happy: the figures and cards all look like they come from the same game, and I can still play with some janky low-powered squads. I sold off all my figures that didn't qualify, and I love my refined collection.

It made me curious how you all "play" SWM these days -- does anyone else set limitations on their collection or have house rules that make it more fun for you?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, January 6, 2020 10:00:31 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I'm all in with all the pieces all the way through all the Vsets.

I have some squads built and on the shelf at two point levels: 200 and 125. I've found that 125 is small enough to give to a new player and the games don't go too long even with lots of rules questions. 200 is the standard competitive point level for the past many years. I still expect that some day the game will truly die, and if that ever happens I will probably settle on a bunch of "standard" squads that are built and just stay built forever. If that ever happens, I will probably end up targeting Tier 1.5. Probably keeping a mix of 200pt and 125pt squads, but instead of just having a handful of each, go ahead and built out as much of the collection as possible into squads... probably having 20-50 squads built and ready to play. As is, I'm happy to get a new batch of cards every six months and continue squadbuilding.
DarkDracul
Posted: Monday, January 6, 2020 8:52:30 PM

Been playing since Rebel Storm released.
Still playing in Regionals and at GenCon each year.
We use all the wotc the v-set cards.

darthwhovian
Posted: Tuesday, January 7, 2020 3:32:32 AM

I've been playing SWM since the launch of rebel storm and never stopped until after power of the force released. I then moved across the country and stopped playing for awhile. Then I got back into it a couple years later, then I found this AMAZING site! I devoured all the vsets and and really enjoyed them (power creep and all lol). Then I started to make custom characters and I was of to the races! Making custom figs from existing and other miniature game sources. Since then I have had a couple different groups of player come and go and I stopped for a while. Came back to it recently and am enjoying it again.
As far as play goes I tend to encourage players to play anything that appeals to them with the understanding of certain restrictions. For example no characters over a certain cost or a certain faction. Rules wise I find this game quite simple and easy for new comers to enjoy quickly. That's one of the things I love about SWM, no 200 page rule set or overwhelming strategies to learn. Just great game play.
I also have played with custom maps, terrain, which can be a way to expand appeal.