RegisterDonateLogin

Expresses its true feelings for you in the South Passage.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

GenCon 2020 Update Options
jew3
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 7:10:18 AM
Groups: Member

This week Jason and I made a tough decision about this years convention. We decided that we need to cancel our events because of the virus. There is a lot of uncertainty for us as to what will happen and neither of us could fully commit to attending. That being said, we will be hosting a virtual set of SWMGamers GenCon events. We will be hosting them on the same 4 day stretch as GenCon and we are currently working on a schedule of events and we will have details in the coming weeks. I’m sorry to cancel but I am looking forward to a great 2021 in Indy!
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 7:19:43 AM

I’m sure that was a tough decision, but I think it was the right one.

Thank you James and Jason for everything you do for the community!
adamb0nd
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 8:49:25 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I think you made the right choice! Stay safe y'all. Sad but necessary.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 9:47:23 AM

I’m looking at the silver lining - we should be able to get a lot more people involved.
gholli69
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 10:57:37 AM

Thanks for making the tough decision early so that we can plan accordingly. Now to do some shopping.
DarkDracul
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 5:58:22 PM

Bump. ThumpUp
jak
Posted: Monday, May 4, 2020 9:19:56 AM

awwwCrying ............... I wanted to lick the attendees Sad
urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 10:48:36 PM

How does something like this look for everyone? Still trying to work through stuff and get it finished up

Thurs
Jedi Challenge 100
Jedi Challenge 150
Jedi Challenge 200

Friday
Tile Wars
WOTC Only 200 (we were actually running this at gencon this year so no-brainer to run it here)
Team Tournament (2 man teams Light/Dark similar to the tournament we did in april)

Saturday
WOTC Sealed (whichever set ends up being the most popular)
Champs (starting at probably 3pm EST or so in order to allow our NZ brethren to play)

Sunday
V-set Sealed (still working on determining if actual custom minis is viable)
Royal Rumble (since we can go later this would be a nice wrap-up to the weekend)

Does something like this work for people? Do people still have time off to be able to do stuff like this? Anything that people would want to see added (or taken away)?
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 5:36:46 AM

List of events looks great.

I love the light/dark idea for team tournament. I presume that means each team - one player has light and one has dark, and you'll play the opposite on the team you face?

If so I really like that, because there is no choice on who plays who. There might be mismatches, (as there always is), but at least the roll of a die doesn't allow players to pick it.

My situation unfortunately remains totally in flux. Depending on when my work opens again, and what my schedule is - I'll make what events I can.

Any other year I make GenCon come hell or high water. I guess I didn't ever add pandemic to that list. Being out of work for 3+ months due to my industry being shut down means I won't have the same flexibility to take 4 days off shortly after (hopefully) starting back at work
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 5:52:00 AM

Thanks for the update, Jason.
urbanjedi wrote:
Team Tournament (2 man teams Light/Dark similar to the tournament we did in april)
Yes!! I love it. That's a great way to do a Team Tournament.

I like the line-up you've posted. I'd sign up for all or most of the events here.

Personally, I'd like to see a 500pt Epic event too, but that event has longer rounds so we might do better to just run the Epic at another time, if there's still interest in it.

For me personally the sealed events are probably the ones I'm least interested in, though I'll sign up if that'll make a difference in numbers for those events.

For me, the main question will be how many people will be able to make it to these events. If some events have only 2 or 3 people then it's almost not worth running them, even if they're 'free.' But if we can get a good 6-8+, then I'd book these entire days off for Gen-Vassal-Con!
UrbanShmi
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 6:09:25 AM

Trying to do one event at a time to avoid attendance overlap. Hopefully we can get the regulars from our Saturday events, plus some New Zealanders, for most of these. But gauging interest in different events is the place to start.

Personally, I'm in for the Jedi Challenge, Champs, and Vset sealed. Interested in the team tourney. Out for Tile Wars. Not interested in most of the WOTC only stuff, but MIGHT play in the WOTC sealed.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 6:20:29 AM

I'll probably do around half of the events, whatever they are. I haven't decided exactly which ones.

I'd probably skip WotC only and at least one of the Jedi Challenge. Does Jedi Challenge 200 and Champs mean those two events are basically identical? If so, I'd try to wrap those two up into one event if possible. But I understand wanting to do the Jedi Challenge all on one day.

I'd like to see another special-rules constructed event along the lines of Tile Wars. I'm not a big fan of Dynamic Duo, but that's an example of one. Epic events are another example. I liked epic Fantastic 4 better than Epic 500, but would probably enter either one. Regular (non-epic) Terrific Trios, Force Four, Fabulous Five, Super Six, etc. could also fill this slot.

Something else that could fill that slot (special-rules constructed) is something that I almost ran instead of the current Power Creep Cancellation Tournament: 0123456 format. In this format, you have exactly 7 characters and a 250pt limit. One character costs 0-9. One costs 10-19. One costs 20-29. One costs 30-39, etc. Up until the highest-cost character is in the 60s. The format could either follow regular faction rules or ignore factions.
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 7:32:23 AM

Interesting.

I can most likely get some or all of deaths_baine, Shmi15, and ultrastar to show up for Jedi Challenges and the WOTC event. These are more informal and made for fun.

The championship though is the big one.
How "official" is that event going to be?
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 8:04:32 AM

jen'ari wrote:

I'm not sure how to define "official" these days. As "official" as we can be?
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 10:06:08 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
jen'ari wrote:

I'm not sure how to define "official" these days. As "official" as we can be?

I guess the best way to identify it imo is:
Once rules are set at what degree will they be upheld?
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 11:45:11 AM

My guess would be - to the best of everyone’s ability
kezzamachine
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 11:51:11 AM

Awesome! Now to work on getting together... Team New Zealand!
Jonnyb815
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2020 5:11:08 PM

I would play in the sealed and the wotc only.