RegisterDonateLogin

Floats like a Mynock, stings like a Bane.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Ontario Team-Up Tournament - June 20, 2020 Options
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 11:42:15 AM
Groups: Member

A long time ago, at a GenCon far, far away…

A player showed up to the Championship
with a squad that had both Mara Jade, Jedi
and R2 Doombot....

Of course, this wasn’t legal, but it got me thinking….

You see, at one time there existed [an alliance between men and elves] a Regional in Ontario, Canada. Given how much fun we’ve been having with these Saturday afternoon tournaments recently, I was thinking of hosting an Ontario Vassal Regional Tournament.

However, we’ve played so many standard 200pt tournaments that I wondered if we might try something a little bit different for this Ontario event--after all, we Canadians are known for being a little bit off-the-wall! The recent Squad-building Depth Tournament was a pile of fun from a squad-building (and playing!) perspective, and it sparked some ideas in me. Then I remembered the Mara-Doombot combo and my gears started to turn…and so I present to you:

The Team-Up Tournament!

Special squad-building rules in effect for this event:

• Instead of just 1 faction, you pick 2 factions when building your squad…yes, any 2 factions. Perhaps the Rebels finally make peace with the evil Empire, or the Vong have a change of heart after hearing John Lennon sing “Imagine” and so they make peace with the NR, etc.
---> Regardless, when you submit your squad you must include a short paragraph describing the background of how your 2 factions decided to team up together. When I copy-paste everyone’s squad info into the thread, this paragraph will be posted along with your squad. You can consider this an exercise in RPG-style creativity with a semi-serious tone, if you’d like…or if you prefer, you can treat it as a chance to show off your zany sense of humour. Honour-points to whoever is voted as having the best background story for their squad!

• The squad build limit is still 200 pts. However, your squad must contain at least 60pts of characters from each of your factions. For this purpose, characters that already have Affinity for both of your factions count toward the 60pts for both factions. (For example, in a Rebel-Republic Team-Up squad, Shaak Ti Jedi Master counts as 47pts toward the 60pt requirement for both the Republic and the Rebel factions.)

• For purposes of squad-building and gameplay, all characters in your squad gain Affinity for the other faction. So for example, if you choose Separatists and Vong, then all of your Separatist characters will gain Affinity: Yuuzhan Vong, and all of your Vong characters will gain Affinity: Separatist. (Yes, Talon Karrde IB can be effective in this format. However, many sub-factions may be more difficult to build around.) As usual, you can still mix in any Fringe pieces that you want, but those Fringe pieces will not gain this Affinity unless Fringe is one of your squad’s 2 factions.

• Because she was caught with her hand the cookie jar—and also for balance reasonsBastilla Shan, JM will be banned from participating in this event…no ABM shenanigans! Same with the Eighth Cortex Shaper...he was caught hanging out at a skate-park in California last week.

• But other than that, the sky’s the limit! Do you want to build a double-swap squad? An insane force user squad? An evil anti-force user squad? Have you always wondered what would happen if you had a boardwide swap squad that used both Lord Vader and Yobuck? Do you want to bring Mara Jade with R2 Doombot? YOU CAN DO IT!

Other standard tournament information:

• Regular Swiss rounds, until we have a single undefeated player.
• 75 Minutes per round.
• Playoff cut to a Top 4 (if more than 6 players) or else a top 2 (if 6 players or less).
• All currently available characters are legal (but not Epics).
• CHANGE: Map list: Because we've been using the maps from the Restricted List for every tournament all spring, and because this is already a different tournament than most, I figured we'd use different maps for this week's tournament as well. All of these maps have been on the Restricted List in the past, but are not on the current rotation. It'll be good to play on some of these oldies-but-goodies again:
--Asteroid Base
--Cantina
--Commander's Office
--Grand Plaza (Muun)
--Peaceful City
--Smuggler's Base

All of these maps are available on Vassal. Just scroll down a little bit further in the "Choose Map" screen...some will be in the first section after the Restrict List maps (the one that begins with "Asteroid Base"), and some will be in the section after that...this section begins with "= Rancor Pen (with Fix Tile)". Don't worry, they're all in Vassal!

Mark your calendars for Saturday, June 20. We’ll start at 3:00 pm EDT, so that our friends in New Zealand can join us.

If you want to participate in this event, then please indicate so in this thread. Then, please send the following information to me via BlooMail before midnight on Thursday, June 18 (I will post before that when I’ve sent my info to a neutral party).

In your registration BlooMail to me, please be sure to include the following:
• Your Name
• The link to your squad (make it Public on the day of the event)
• The info from your squad, copy-pasted into the BM
• Your map choice
• A brief paragraph describing the narrative background for your squad’s team-up
I will double-check to ensure that your squad meets all the squad-building rules, so that you have time to correct it if necessary.

PLAYERS:
thereisnotry
urbanshmi
TimmerB123
urbanjedi
spryguy1981 (maybe)
UrbanShmi
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 11:47:30 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

So here for this. In.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 11:52:07 AM

To help you understand how squads work in this event, here are a couple of examples of squads that you could build:

--Thrawn-Buck--
71 Lord Vader
51 Yoda on Kybuck
32 Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo)
27 Lobot
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
2 Kneesaa, Ewok Princess

(200pts. 7 activations)

• 2 factions: Republic and Imperial
• 111pts of Imperials (Thrawn, Vader, Mas)…all Imperial characters gain Affinity: Republic
• 68pts of Republic (Yobuck, R2, Mas)…all Republic characters gain Affinity: Imperial
• Lobot and Kneesaa are still usable in the squad, as usual.

--Vong Talons--
44 Commander Sha'kel
32 Talon Karrde, Information Broker
28 Mira of Nar Shaddaa
27 Minos, Yuuzhan Vong Warrior
40 Yuuzhan Vong Jedi Hunter x2
15 Yammosk War Coordinator
5 Salacious Crumb
6 Rodian Brute x2
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(200pts. 11 activations)

• 2 factions: Fringe and Yuuzhan Vong
• 126pts of Yuuzhan Vong (Sha’kel, Minos, Vong JHs, Yammosk)…these characters gain Affinity: Fringe
• 74pts of Fringe (Talon, Mira, Salacious, Rodians, Uggie)…these characters gain Affinity: Yuuzhan Vong. Yes, Talon Karrde is operating with all of his tricks here, since all characters are Fringe.

--JarJar Binks, Squad-Wrecker--
55 Yoda
52 Bastila Shan, Fallen Jedi
29 Sheev Palpatine, Sith Apprentice
24 Prophet of the Dark Side
18 Jar Jar Binks
14 Exar Kun, Dark Force Spirit
8 Mas Amedda

(200pts. 7 activations)

• 2 factions: Republic and Sith
• 81pts of Republic (Yoda, JarJar, Mas)…these characters gain Affinity: Sith
• 119pts of Sith (Bastila, Sheev, Prophet, Exar)…these characters gain Affinity: Republic
• …JarJar rerolls all saves (so Bombad Gungan triggers 75% of the time) , and opponents need to roll 15s to avoid his Draw Fire. :)

Just so you know, these squads are just for illustrative purposes. I’m not planning to use any of these squads…well, now that I think of it, maybe that JarJar one….
Cursing

Feel free to discover some interesting combos of your own, and see what you can come up with!
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 1:14:05 PM

This looks like an amazing amount of fun, but I cannot commit to it. The current date for my industry being able to open again (and thus hopefully getting my job back) is June 26th for my state. Gotta prioritize that. I might not even be able to do the Gen Con championship since it got moved to Saturday. Crying

Also - 2 comments from the peanut gallery

1. You have the wrong Urban signed up (although I'd wager they'll both play)

2. Ban the 8th Cortex shaper. Combos get INSANE
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 2:14:14 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
This looks like an amazing amount of fun, but I cannot commit to it. The current date for my industry being able to open again (and thus hopefully getting my job back) is June 26th for my state. Gotta prioritize that. I might not even be able to do the Gen Con championship since it got moved to Saturday. Crying

Also - 2 comments from the peanut gallery

1. You have the wrong Urban signed up (although I'd wager they'll both play)

2. Ban the 8th Cortex shaper. Combos get INSANE

Thanks for the input.
1. Fixed
2. Banned

EVERYONE ELSE: What if we moved the event to Saturday, June 20? Would that work just as well for you guys? I'd like to have Tim join us if possible.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 2:57:39 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
EVERYONE ELSE: What if we moved the event to Saturday, June 20? Would that work just as well for you guys? I'd like to have Tim join us if possible.

Really appreciate the thought - but I wouldn't want the event changed on my behalf, unless of course it is equally good or better for everyone else too.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 3:09:24 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

Really appreciate the thought - but I wouldn't want the event changed on my behalf, unless of course it is equally good or better for everyone else too.
Yep, that's the idea. I probably should've polled the regulars before picking a date--now it's a bit of a scramble to catch up and see what dates work best for everyone.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 3:37:57 PM

Either date works for me.
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 5:12:51 AM

UrbanShmi wrote:
Either date works for me.

Ok, since you're the only person signed up so far, then we'll make the change: June 20 it is!

Thanks Laura.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 5:24:19 AM

OK - sign me up now. Still have the caveat that I need to prioritize work if we get to unexpectedly open early, but it is much less likely on this date.
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 5:25:10 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
OK - sign me up now. Still have the caveat that I need to prioritize work if we get to unexpectedly open early, but it is much less likely on this date.
Great! And yes, I totally understand the work thing.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 8:01:59 AM

Quick question about how crossovers work: If I'm reading Affinity right, they lose their original faction, but what about characters with faction/subfaction modifiers like Mandalorian or Old Republic Soldier?

I.e. if I bring the Mandalorians into the Empire, and have and Mandalorian Captain, the squad is Imperial and thus nobody benefits from the Captain's CE... except someone like Jango Fett, Assassin would still count as Mandalorian and get the Captain's CE, right?

And what about pieces like the Arkanian Jedi General? Let's say I bring the AJG into the New Republic. Everybody's New Republic now, so Prideful is meaningless... but would pieces with the Soldier ability still get the Prideful boost? They've become New Republic, but they're still Old Republic Soldiers.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 8:24:30 AM

As I understand it, everyone in the squad from ether fstcion effectively has both factions.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 12:36:55 PM

Yeah, this is not technically how Affinity works since it changes the character's faction to that of the squad (also note that Affinity cannot make a character Fringe since Fringe is not a faction). I think it's okay to suspend your disbelief for an event with custom rules, though.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 1:59:19 PM

Thanks folks! Not sure if I can participate, but I'd sure like to. I'll confirm one way or another closer to the date.
spryguy1981
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 3:07:42 PM

Put me down as a maybe. Depends on if I find a place to stay first.
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 5:23:32 PM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
Yeah, this is not technically how Affinity works since it changes the character's faction to that of the squad (also note that Affinity cannot make a character Fringe since Fringe is not a faction). I think it's okay to suspend your disbelief for an event with custom rules, though.
sorry, I’m not a rules expert. I thought a character kept their original faction too. Regardless of how that works, for our purposes in this event the characters in your squad are considered to belong to both factions. So in the Thrawn-Buck squad I posted above, Yobuck would count as both Imperial and Republic at the same time.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 6:44:57 PM

So perhaps a rule equivalent would be this:

Think of it as similar to when a character has a special ability such as Old Republic Soldier

Aric Jorgan has that ability. He technically qualifies as someone “named” Old Republic Soldier, as well as “named” Aric Jorgan. (Keep in mind “named” must match exactly).

So it counts as both simultaneously.

Regardless - it sounds like you get your faction goodies both ways. You can think of it as one blended faction. In the Imperial / Republic example - each piece in your squad (that isn’t fringe) counts as both. Every CE that specifies Imperial or Republic - changes to Include both.

gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 7:31:53 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:

Think of it as similar to when a character has a special ability such as Old Republic Soldier

Aric Jorgan has that ability. He technically qualifies as someone “named” Old Republic Soldier, as well as “named” Aric Jorgan. (Keep in mind “named” must match exactly).

For this- the closest thing we have in the game is abilities like Mandalorian (Mira of Nar Shaddaa), Rebel (Saw Gerrera), or Yuuzhan Vong (Black Market Biotech Dealer). They all let a character count as another faction without losing its original "faction" (not really since Fringe isn't a faction, but lets them count as both Fringe and a faction). Affinity doesn't work like that because WOTC ruled it that way. Doesn't matter though- as long as everyone understands how the rules are supposed to work for this one, technicalities are irrelevant.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 7:36:54 PM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

For this- the closest thing we have in the game is abilities like Mandalorian (Mira of Nar Shaddaa), Rebel (Saw Gerrera), or Yuuzhan Vong (Black Market Biotech Dealer). They all let a character count as another faction without losing its original "faction" (not really since Fringe isn't a faction, but lets them count as both Fringe and a faction). Affinity doesn't work like that because WOTC ruled it that way. Doesn't matter though- as long as everyone understands how the rules are supposed to work for this one, technicalities are irrelevant.

Yes - that is perhaps a better example. But I do think at this point we all understand the goal. If there is a weird rule quirk where we are unsure - PM tint.