RegisterDonateLogin

Now with 15% less sand in every glass.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Poll Question : Which generation are you from?
Choice Votes Statistics
Pre-Boomer 0 0.000000 %
Baby Boomer (1946-1964) 3 4.477611 %
Generation X (1965-1976) 19 28.358208 %
Millennial (1977-2000) 44 65.671641 %
Post-Millennial 1 1.492537 %

SWM Generational Demographic Options
Eroschilles
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 2:14:37 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Like an age poll that was here awhile ago, I'm trying to see the different ages of those who play SWM. There are different markers (and names) for the various generations, but I chose the ones given in a recent marketing book I am reading.

I'm just curious with which generations SWM has been most popular.

I am a Millennial. I think Star Wars has always been a part of my generations culture as it came out in the first year of the generation. I know I had a family tradition of watching Star Wars every thanksgiving since I was 6, and went and saw all of the Special Editions as well as the PT films multiple times when they came out. And with further marketing campaigns and multi-media representations (like the Clone Wars tv series and SW video games), the impact of Star Wars and SWM on Millennials will only increase.
owaller3
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 2:21:53 PM
Groups: Member

I am a GenXer but I was born in 1980. I think your dates may be a little off.
Eroschilles
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 2:29:54 PM

owaller3 wrote:
I am a GenXer but I was born in 1980. I think your dates may be a little off.

Nope, not my dates. Ones I obtained from printed text. I just thought they were most appropriate as they mark a new generation starting the same year A New Hope came out. As I said in the intial post, the markers for beginning and ending of the different generations vary, as do some names (Millennials are also called Generation Y). But if you closely identify with that particular demographic, by all means, stick with it.
Dr. Destructo
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:14:28 PM

I have a hard time seeing everyone born between 1977 and 2000 as having the same perspective on SW. As far as gen-X goes, according to this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gen-X), it's mid 60's to mid/late 80's. I've always been under the idea that I was late Gen-X(born 1986). I would have divided it 1965-1989, then 1990-2000. Especially since the '90-00 group is right in the key demo for the PT, and CW cartoon, where as the rest of us aren't and thus have different feelings towards the PT and CW era.
Eroschilles
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:33:40 PM

Dr. Destructo wrote:
I have a hard time seeing everyone born between 1977 and 2000 as having the same perspective on SW. As far as gen-X goes, according to this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gen-X), it's mid 60's to mid/late 80's. I've always been under the idea that I was late Gen-X(born 1986). I would have divided it 1965-1989, then 1990-2000. Especially since the '90-00 group is right in the key demo for the PT, and CW cartoon, where as the rest of us aren't and thus have different feelings towards the PT and CW era.

I think most people would think 1986 to be a late birth year for a Gen Xer. Since we are citing wikipedia as a good source, here's a link to a page with a list of generations ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_generations#Western_world ). Regarding Gen X: "Generation X is the generation generally defined as those born after the baby boom ended,[8] extending from the early-to-mid 1960s to late 1970s." Wikipedia makes a distinction between a Generation Y and a generation I haven't heard of yet (but doesn't make it any less likely to exist), Generation Z. The different dates that start and end a generation are pretty arbitrary and ambiguous. If you feel like associating yourself with one generation or another, it's not that big of a deal.

And I think those born between '77 and 2000 can share some perspective on SW as by the time they can recall seeing it for the first time, it's not new and amazing to the rest of the world. It is an established part of American Culture already. Unlike Gen Xers and Boomers who could have seen it in theatres and would have a totally different perspective on it. But there are sub-generational groups in each generation that have distinct characteristics of there own, so it's normal not to identify with some one a decade younger than youself though you share the same generational name tag.
Darth O
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 4:26:05 PM

I'm 14 ( born 1995) so I guess thats Millenial
DarthJak
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 4:33:44 PM

so far I'm the only Boomer,Bomb (except an uggie or two)Bomb
seeing Star Wars (now called a new hope ) on the big screen at age 14 was pure magic. Love
Nynja
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 4:37:22 PM

It's nice to see that many young people play SWMs. BigGrin (myself included, '87)
Roque Saber
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 5:27:48 PM

Darth O wrote:
I'm 14 ( born 1995) so I guess thats Millenial

Ya man! Same here, '95. :)
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:01:49 PM

Gen X.
StevenO
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:39:25 PM

Your generational brackets a way off. The 18 year Baby Boom length may be about right but 11 years for Gen X is far too short and the 23 years for Millennial is WAY too long. Non-teen Parents should NOT belong to the same generation as their children which can happen fairly easily with those gaps. You should take seven years off the Millenial and add them to GEN X.
Zalkrie
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 10:37:34 PM

Second Baby boomer so far.....but I am at the back end of the Boom!!! Bomb
swinefeld
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:04:33 AM

Zalkrie wrote:
Second Baby boomer so far.....but I am at the back end of the Boom!!! Bomb

I just missed the cut-off, so am Gen-X.
madslaust
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:07:14 AM

A 'generation' is typically calculated at 20 years, so Gen-X should go to 1984 or so.

Make no difference for me though, as I'm in the class of '88.
Rabid Wookiee
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 2:42:15 AM

It looks like I just barely made the cut for GenX. Unfortunately, being born in 1976 I missed out on seeing A New Hope in theaters. Even so, I still managed to collect all of the old action figures as a kid. I have every figure ever printed except Yak Face (which was only sold outside the US). And for decades now, they've just been collecting dust in my closet Sad

I guess getting into SWM was just a given...
ArtemisCFrog43
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:41:53 AM

I have studied alot of Generational Theory on my way to a Master's Degree in Higher Education Administration. It's fascinating stuff. Millennials HATE being called Generation Y because they want to be seen a different from us Gen Xers. I live with 500 18 year old Millennials and they are a trip when compared to people from my generation.

Your years are a little off, as all of the reading I have done starts the Millennial generation around 1981-82, but there is always little wiggle room in between generations where traits overlap and people may identify with both generations.

I half expected to see alot more Xers than there are on the list so far. Should be fun to see how this all ends up. G GEN Xers!!!!!ThumbsUp
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:42:12 AM

Rabid Wookiee wrote:
It looks like I just barely made the cut for GenX. Unfortunately, being born in 1976 I missed out on seeing A New Hope in theaters. Even so, I still managed to collect all of the old action figures as a kid. I have every figure ever printed except Yak Face (which was only sold outside the US). And for decades now, they've just been collecting dust in my closet Sad

I guess getting into SWM was just a given...

i can get a copy of Yak face used, down here in nashville. i dont know if he comes with the weapons or not though.
Nightwalker
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:44:39 AM

Millennial
crapface
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 8:31:55 AM

I'm generation X and born in '76.
Eroschilles
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 8:35:10 AM

ArtemisCFrog43 wrote:
I have studied alot of Generational Theory on my way to a Master's Degree in Higher Education Administration. It's fascinating stuff. Millennials HATE being called Generation Y because they want to be seen a different from us Gen Xers. I live with 500 18 year old Millennials and they are a trip when compared to people from my generation.

Your years are a little off, as all of the reading I have done starts the Millennial generation around 1981-82, but there is always little wiggle room in between generations where traits overlap and people may identify with both generations.

I half expected to see alot more Xers than there are on the list so far. Should be fun to see how this all ends up. G GEN Xers!!!!!ThumbsUp

Yeah, most of dates that start Generation Y are around 1980, but this one I found in my textbook put it at 1977 for some reason. I just liked that year because a new generation coincided with the release of Star Wars.