I'm fine either way 2 9.090909 %
I wouldn't miss her but she's not the biggest deal 1 4.545454 %
Ban Hammer that horrid piece into oblivion!!! 7 31.818181 %

Should we Ban Daala? Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2020 6:53:23 PM
Groups: Member

Daala.

Just a really horrible piece in most people's opinion. It's not an exaggeration to say that she seriously fractured our community and caused players to quit in mass droves.

We tried to fix her. Then tried again. She's still a problem.

Reason she isn't a bigger problem? Most people don't play her because they hate her that much.

The few times she's been played at high level competitions she's either won, or run into the perfect counter. Does everyone want to see a meta that has to count on someone playing that Daala counter to knock her out?

Now with the change to activation control - she is even better. She doesn't have to worry about possibly needing to bring in Ozzel - she just out activates everyone. With 5 pt pieces that can do 40 damage at insane high attack ratings.

But are there people that secretly love her and are staying mum?

Or would nobody shed a tear, and in fact most even give a cheer - if we once and for all banned her here?
DarthMaim
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 12:24:16 AM

If she wins GenCon again, then she needs to be fixed. If this happens, my vote would be to remove "Charging Fire" from her commander effect. A swarm squad with this special ability is just plain stupid ThumbDown
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 5:27:02 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

What are the 4pt pieces that she runs with?
theultrastar
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 6:54:29 AM

We have been trying to "Fix" this character essentially since she was released. It's time to ban her completely.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 8:58:01 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
What are the 4pt pieces that she runs with?

Corrected
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 8:59:40 AM

I must admit - 6 votes for “she’s my favorite character design” seems like trolling.

Are any of you who voted for that willing to own it and explain your stance? Open to hearing what you have to say.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 9:07:53 AM

I played her a few weeks ago (see my play report in the Indiana Regional thread). I felt dirty afterward.

However, I'm not 100% sure she needs to be banned. I didn't enjoy playing that squad, because it's basically a one-trick-pony and I enjoy squads that have a variety of tactics available to them. So the reason I'm not interested in playing her is more because of the enjoyment factor, and less because of the broken-ness factor.

Basically, Daala tends to lead to extreme Paper squads. And similar to extreme Rock squads (Mace/GOWK or Caedus/Barriss) and extreme Scissors squads (Yobuck, pawned Lancer), it either works really well or it hits its achilles' heel and crumples. If someone had played a Scissors squad at the Indiana Regional, I would've lost. And even then, Jason was within a couple of dice rolls of beating me with SITH! (lol, I love that!) But that's the risk you take when you play an extreme squad: you'll probably have a better chance against the broader field of available squads, but you'll be virtually helpless if you hit your counter.

Now, there is an argument to be made that with lower participation numbers it becomes less and less risky to play an extreme squad (of whatever version), because there are less players who might end up playing a counter to your squad. But if that's the case, then we could institute a rule in a tournament that "Daala will be banned if we have less than X players." I'm not sure that's necessary, but it is a middle-of-the-road approach that doesn't change things forever.

My Snowtroopers were 6pts each, not 4, btw. They used to be 4pts, before the Rapport fix, several years ago.
General_Grievous
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 9:13:47 AM

I’ll bite, I really think Daala is good for the game. She’s just the build that was least affected by the activation control change (something I didn’t agree with for partially this reason, as banning something or hard countering it just creates a new top of the meta). She is the definition of a strong swarm for sure but being able to bring a team of recognizable imperial troopers led by a cool EU female leader is something that is a huge attraction to new players and has a relatively low skill ceiling so again new players can compete against more established and experienced players. She gets obliterated by most scissors squads and there are constantly new things coming out that can shred swarms. Some people also really enjoy running swarms and I would actually like to see each faction have a viable swarm option. Bastila kind of neutered those squads and the sea of CE-Hate since then hasn’t helped swarm squads either. So while I almost never play her, she always gets played in our regionals and she is a favorite with most of our female players. Not everyone wants to play a 10 activation squad of mobile attacking and millions of save rolls to cancel damage. The solution to Dalaa is more Dalaa-loke pieces in other factions and More scissors. Embrace the swarm.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 9:43:09 AM

I personally still think Etienne's Daala squad with the Elite Scout troopers and dignitaries is the best build. And now it's unlikely to be out activated. It's not as extreme as the TJ style "all in on the snowtroopers." That's the thing - there is versalitiy within Daala.

thereisnotry and General Grievous - from your posts it sounds like your vote was "no, I don't play her but she is good for the game"(but there is only 1 vote for that). Yet we still have 6 votes for "No, I love her. She's my favorite design!"

So who voted for that? Not trying to call anyone out - just trying to make sure the votes aren't trolls. Also like to hear why so I can understand better.

Thank you for the responses so far. Your opinions are all valid.

I'm not trying to necessarily change anyone's mind. I just only hear negatives, so I am wondering who is pro-Daala but that I am not hearing.
adamb0nd
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 10:24:22 AM

I'm aware she's "broken", but not aware of the build. It used to be the little slaver whip guys and her caused all the issues, but it seems her current configuration limited to troopers is still too strong.

Would swapping speed 8 for charging fire address the problems?

What about rapport for troopers with a positive point increase if they're too good under her CE?
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 11:09:42 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
I personally still think Etienne's Daala squad with the Elite Scout troopers and dignitaries is the best build. And now it's unlikely to be out activated. It's not as extreme as the TJ style "all in on the snowtroopers." That's the thing - there is versalitiy within Daala.

thereisnotry and General Grievous - from your posts it sounds like your vote was "no, I don't play her but she is good for the game"(but there is only 1 vote for that). Yet we still have 6 votes for "No, I love her. She's my favorite design!"

I didn't vote right away...forgot. I voted for "she's good for the game"

And after playing the Snowtroopers, I think I agree with you that Etienne's build is probably better. The Snowtroopers have more raw damage output, but they are much more vulnerable (Furious Assault, Yobuck, etc).
jak
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 12:57:13 PM

this is what happens with designs pushed thru without enough play testing.
whoever made this piece needs to own up and apologize.
then we can stone himFlapper
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 1:46:32 PM

I voted "No, I love her. She's my favorite design!"

She's not exactly my favourite design, but "No. I don't play her but she's good for the game" didn't fit my stance either because I do play her from time to time. I like her design and I like that the major EU character has a major role in the faction. She's definitely one of the top squads but she doesn't win all the time- usually only when the best players are playing her. I've beaten her with squads that aren't swarm hate squads at all, like Covenant and Talon Karrde (to qualify that- I wasn't playing against the top Daala players or the best Daala builds). I know a few other New Zealanders, such as kiki, who really like playing her.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 1:46:45 PM

There's also Dr Daman's Raxus Primes and Repulsor Sled build as well.

I agree that she's always been dominant, and I think it's worse in New Zealand where no-one's ever really done well at a major tournament with strafe or gallop. Strafe and gallop are played sometimes, but I barely remember them making a final or winning a major.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 2:04:42 PM

I voted that she's my favorite mainly as a protest against the poll options. I wanted to just say "no" without having to say anything else. Since that wasn't an option I went with the answer that was the most controversial.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 7:31:02 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
I voted that she's my favorite mainly as a protest against the poll options. I wanted to just say "no" without having to say anything else. Since that wasn't an option I went with the answer that was the most controversial.

You're the most predominant Daala player currently. You are also a big promoter of "Ban, don't errata" - but in this case since you do actually play her more than anyone at this point, I think that was the vote I assumed you'd make.

Other than you . . .

Trevor just played her and expressed his displeasure.

I can't remember the last time I saw anyone else play her in a tournament. Etienne's Gen Con win?
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 7:31:49 PM

jak wrote:
this is what happens with designs pushed thru without enough play testing.
whoever made this piece needs to own up and apologize.
then we can stone himFlapper

All 4 designers on that set no longer play
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 7:33:31 PM

And another top vote for I Love Daala. 7 now, with 2 claiming it.

I realize now the folly of a poll on Bloo.

I may have to make it simply a discussion thread so that we know who is actually saying what.
General_Grievous
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 7:55:09 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:

I did the same as flying haha but I don’t see why it’s big deal, is it a witch-hunt for people that like her or a discussion on balance. Mind you I was the guy fighting for reserves before they got the hard counter followed by a major nerf so I know my opinion doesn’t carry much weight. We’ll just keep playing how we play in the north.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 8:39:18 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
I can't remember the last time I saw anyone else play her in a tournament. Etienne's Gen Con win?

Last time I saw her was World Vassal Regional, 2019, and she was also at the NZ champs that year.