RegisterDonateLogin

Has the high ground.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Laura's PLAY THE MASTER SQUADBUILDER'S SQUADS birthday tournament Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 8:35:34 AM
Groups: Member

Laura's birthday is July 20th (PM her for where to send gifts)

What she wants is to play minis with her friends! (also shocking)

Her husband Jason suggested that we have a tournament where everyone plays HER squads. Being the master squad builder that she is, she thought it was a great idea to see how her squads fare in the hands of other players.

Since most people probably can't play a full tournament on a Monday (her actual birthday), the tournament will be on

SUNDAY, July 19th at 3:00pm Central

She will post her squads, what map will go with it, and maybe a blurb about each (that's up to her)

First come, first served to claim a squad. (Since I am spearheading this thread, I will not claim a squad until at least 24 hours after she posts the squads. I have no idea what squads she is choosing)

ALL ARE WELCOME, regardless of geography!!!

Please let us know in this thread if you plan on playing. We'll have a running list

*Registration ENDS July 12th at 2:00 pm central time

*Rounds begin promptly at 3:00 pm central time

Gameplay in each round will last exactly 75 minutes.

Number of Swiss (initial) rounds depend on number of participants.
<8 = (something modified that gets us 4 rounds of play. Round Robin, random draw, short Swiss, etc)
>9 = 4 rounds

For any number of participants above 8, cut to the top 4 and play 2 rounds of single elimination finals.

Short 30 minute food break between rounds 2 and 3.

Legal Map Lists will be:
Anchorhead
Cloud City
Gangster's Vault
Great Library
Offworld Shipping
Rebel Fortress
Rhen Var Citadel
(all the restricted list available vassal maps)

This will be an official Star Wars™ Miniatures SWMGPA (Star Wars Miniatures Gamers Players Association) sanctioned event. The SWM GPA Floor Rules will be in effect.
(The Star Wars Miniatures SWMGPA (Star Wars Miniatures Gamers Players Association) Floor Rules and the Star Wars Miniatures Game Rules should be read and understood by all players wishing to compete in sanctioned events. All SWMGPA members participating in SWMGPA-sanctioned Star Wars™ Miniatures events must abide by these rules.)

List of who will be playing:
UrbanShmi
TimmerB123
UrbanShmi
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 8:36:53 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Okay everyone, here are the squads. They span more than 10 years of my involvement with the game, and they all have a special place in my heart. Some of them probably hold up better than others (looking at you, Wall of Vong), but they are all designed to be fun, aggressive, and interesting to play. Not all super intuitive, so pick carefully.

1. Wall of Vong
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/89106/wall-of-vong
The squad that won me the “Biggest B*lls” award at Gen Con 2010. Took 23rd place (out of about 50 people, if you can believe it). Talon Karrde was added after the championships—I can’t remember what was there in his place, so this is the version I’ve chosen for this tournament.

Map: Rhen Var Citadel

2. Maxed-out Maidens--Randy
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/95206/maxed-out-maidens
The squad that really put me on the map as a squadbuilder, still competitive today. This squad more or less built itself—Imperials are probably the best faction for the Echanis, by virtue of the fact that they get both Opportunist and Accurate Shot. Not to give too much away, but the key to this squad is being able to shoot at what YOU want to shoot at.

Map: Gangster's Vault

3. SCRuPLs (Speedy Crazy Running Pilot with a LightSaber)--DarkDracul
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/124390/scrupls--speedy-crazy-running-pilot-with-a-lightsaber-
In the early years of my involvement with the game, there was a squad called CRuBLs (I’ll leave what it stood for to the imagination). After the Klat Captain came out, I decided to apply the same theory to the underused 60-point Corran Horn. I actually had some success with this squad. This version has been updated to reflect recent advances in New Republic Pilot tech.

Map: Anchorhead

4. Mace in the Face--spryguy1981
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/114401/mace-in-the-face--7th-place--2012-michigan-regionals-
Ah, the days when we have 20-person regionals, and a 7th-place finish was something to aspire to. This was the first squad that really marked me as a competitive player, and it has shown up, in various incarnations, through the present day. This squad is unique for the amount of mobility it gives Mace. Actually took this squad to a victory over fingersandteeth in the Team Tourney once upon a time.

Map: Rebel Fortress

5. Talon’s Hat Trick
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/132739/talons-hat-trick--fourth-place-chicago-regional-2014
Once upon a Gen Con, I made a half-dozen customs of Talon Karrde, Information Broker. Not long after, I had the inspiration to use Embo in a Talon squad, for the ultimate deep strike potential. It rarely works, but the threat of it is pretty darn scary, and keeping him alive past the first round is super risky for the opponent. This squad differs a bit from the original version, but is true to the spirit.

Map: Great Library

6. Original Cin--thereisnotry
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/161375/original-cin--4th-place-2016-indiana-regional
The first squad to take me to the top 4 of a Regional. Lost badly to Vong, but otherwise did very well, only to lose in the semis to Jason. The original squad had Marn in it—here, I have substituted Dr. Evazan. The same super mobility as Mace in the Face, but with more flexible offensive options.

Map: Rhen Var Citadel

7. Rebirth--UrbanShmi
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/167072/rebirth--2nd-place-2016-wisconsin-regional
The first time I ever made the top table at a Regional, it was with this creative (if I do say so myself) Hethrir squad. Lord Hethrir was one of my babies on set 10, and I was super excited to play him with Vader of Lothal. A little bit Force-starved, but so much fun.

8. In the Army Now--gandalfthegreatestwizard
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/198058/in-the-army-now
Jason took this squad to second place in Wisconsin, finishing just behind my Imperial Renaissance squad (not represented here). The fun of Satele as an Army of Light character is rivalled only by this squad’s huge movement.

Map: Off-World Shipping Center

9. Cutting the Corde--TimmerB123
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/203512/cutting-the-corde--1st-place-2020--holecon-
This squad was my big secret all during the 2019 season. I was planning to come into Gen Con and walk out with the big prize. It didn’t work out that way, and I wound up coming in 8th place (out of 9). However, I still believed in the squad, and I wasn’t too upset when Jason took it to a win at HoleCon this year.

Map: Gangster's Vault

10. Another Sithy Squad--pntkd2
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/216134/another-sithy-squad
So, the Plagueis-Cognus engine has been around for a while. There’s nothing much new about this squad, except that it incorporates both Bandon and Wyrrlok, as well as the Dark Force Nexus. Jason took it to third place at the recent Indiana Regional on Vassal (I was fourth with a Talon Karrde squad), and nearly beat the Daala squad that ultimately won.

So those are the squads, and a reasonable version of my life in minis. I hope you enjoy choosing and playing!

TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 8:44:11 AM

my money is on one of Laura's squads winning it! ThumbsUp
Randy
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 10:53:55 AM

I'll play. I would like to try out the Handmaidens.

Link is broken BTW
UrbanShmi
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 11:44:15 AM

Apologies. Thought I had made them all public. Should work now.
urbanjedi
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 3:06:29 PM

Assuming I am off this day, I will join up for sure.

Given my intimate knowledge of some of the squads, I will let Laura assign me a squad out of what remains after everyone else has signed up.
spryguy1981
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 3:16:18 PM

That is my dad's birthday but I figure if we do anything it will be lunchtime. I would like to play and choose Mace in the Face as its always been my favorite Mace squad.
pntkd2
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2020 5:02:53 AM

Edit: had my schedule wrong. Crying
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2020 4:23:45 AM

Awesome! Yes I’m in. I’d like to play Mace in the Face. Love that squad design.
spryguy1981
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2020 4:38:21 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
Awesome! Yes I’m in. I’d like to play Mace in the Face. Love that squad design.

Too late I called it first 🤣
UrbanShmi
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2020 5:18:34 AM

spryguy1981 wrote:
[quote=thereisnotry]Awesome! Yes I’m in. I’d like to play Mace in the Face. Love that squad design.

Too late I called it first 🤣[/quot

Squad post has been edited. TinT can pick another squad.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2020 6:19:20 AM

UrbanShmi wrote:
spryguy1981 wrote:
[quote=thereisnotry]Awesome! Yes I’m in. I’d like to play Mace in the Face. Love that squad design.

Too late I called it first 🤣[/quot

Squad post has been edited. TinT can pick another squad.
Ok, I'll go with the Cin Drallig squad then. :)
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2020 10:18:01 AM

There's a lot of squads left I would enjoy checking out, so I'll wait a bit to let other people get their picks in.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 8:14:20 AM

Bump

Any other takers? If not, we can alter the format to allow people to play more than one squad.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 1:01:11 PM

I'll take In the Army Now.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 3:44:13 PM

I’ll take cutting the corde
pntkd2
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 3:58:32 PM

I actually can make it, but may just have to head out after the third game.
Dibs on Another Sithy Squad
UrbanShmi
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 4:49:29 PM

Well it's my tourney, so I guess I should pick. I'll take Rebirth.
DarkDracul
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2020 2:10:41 AM

Sign me up!

3. SCRuPLs (Speedy Crazy Running Pilot with a LightSaber)
Map: Anchorhead
UrbanShmi
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2020 6:32:16 PM

Thanks everyone for playing! I had a great time, even though I came in dead last, and I hope everyone else did, too. The top four were:

1. gandalfthegreatestwizard "In the Army Now"
2. Randy "Maxed out Maidens"
3. DarkDracul "SCRuPLS"
4. UrbanJedi "Original Cin"

UrbanJedi and Randy are currently playing the finals.