RegisterDonateLogin

Understands the binary language of moisture vaporators.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

SWM Vassal Mod UPDATE: version 2.0 Options
Mando
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2023 7:57:46 AM
Groups: Member

great video explanation Trevor! this update is fantastic! Really great improvement to the game to track scores
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, August 2, 2023 6:43:42 PM

Version 25 is now available (use the link in the first post of this thread)
When you load this new version of the mod, these are the first words you should see in the Vassal info window:
"- SWM Skirmish Game version 25"

This adds the rest of the content from V-Set 25 (remember that just the first 1/3 of the set was released back in March of this year).

As with other updates, I have a few things to briefly describe for you as you start using the new version:

--I added a new marker to the “Markers” tab. During a recent match, my opponent asked, “What round is it?” and we weren’t entirely sure. That gave me an idea for a very minor addition to the mod that might be helpful to some players: the new Round Counter marker! You can use it to keep track of the current round as you play, if you’re so inclined. You can adjust it fairly intuitively by highlighting it and using the arrow keys on your keyboard, or else by using the r-click interface. The sound of a ship flyby will play when you advance the counter, and a report will be added to the main chat window. An added bonus is that when you advance the counter to the next round, all of the minis on the board will have their “mark moved” indicators removed, exactly as if you had pressed the little black button at the top of the screen (so it saves you a step and is therefore no extra work than would normally be required at the end of a round). If people decide to use it and keep it up to date while playing, I imagine that this will be helpful in a few different ways: (1) it’ll be nice when going through a logfile because you’ll never have to guess what round it is, (2) it’s handy for helping players to remember what round they’re in during the game, and (3) during a tournament, a T.O. who pops into a room can easily see what round it is without having to stop and ask the players. It’s pretty minor and totally optional, but I’ve found it helpful during my games so far. Enjoy!

--Two of the new characters (Pit Droid and Gatekeeper Droid) have the Special Ability: “Retractable Form.” This allows them to avoid incoming damage for the rest of the round. I figured that this was different enough that it deserved a special feature. Therefore, if you have one of those characters highlighted, you can press ALT-A (just like you would to toggle ABM on Bastilla JM or other characters with abilities like that)…when you do this, the mini’s image will shrink down to represent that the droid has activated its Retractable Form SA. You can then press CTRL-A again to return it to normal. Of course, you can also do this via the r-click interface.

--I re-drew the green lines on the Mushroom Planet map because it’s on the Restricted Maplist this year and those lines were extremely difficult to make out. They’re still not great in some places (simply because of the color palette) but at least they’re a little bit clearer now.

--I'm very grateful for the input from a number of different players over the last few months, who have pointed out bugs or errors to me. As a result, there are many minor bug fixes which are probably too many for me to remember (for example, I most recently added a copy of the Jedi Holocron to the NR faction, etc). I generally tend to make the fix immediately once someone mentions it to me, and then I forget about it a few days after that. Please continue to let me know when you find errors or bugs, and I'll be sure to fix them asap.

So now Vassal is all caught up until the end of V-Set 25. I hope you enjoy it!
Mando
Posted: Thursday, August 3, 2023 6:44:33 AM

thanks for all your hard work on this Trevor!ThumpUp
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Saturday, August 5, 2023 7:30:26 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Thanks again for your continued work on updating and improving Vassal, Trevor.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2024 10:28:26 AM

Version 26a is now available (use the link in the first post of this thread)
When you load this new version of the mod, these are the first words you should see in the Vassal info window:
"- SWM Skirmish Game version 26a"

This adds the new content from V-Set 26a (remember that this is just the first third of the set, and the rest of V-Set 26 will be released at GenCon this summer).

--I've updated the maps shown at the top of the list that comes up when you start a New Game, so that they reflect the current Restricted Maplist. (The other maps have returned to their original locations in the list below that.)

--I've had to add a significant amount of lines and even graphics to the Great Library map, because FlyingArrow helpfully pointed out to me that the version of this map on Vassal was actually missing several of the lines that are on the printed version of the map; I did this via copy-and-paste and so the art for these sections doesn't look amazing, but it is 100% correct and functional from a gameplay perspective. Big thanks to TJ for the heads-up!

--I've also had to add many terrain lines to the Pirates Moon SW map; for some reason the version of that map on Vassal was missing a bunch of lines...but it's all good and correct now.

I hope you enjoy it!

PS: In order to make this version of the Vassal Mod work, you will first need to download an update to the Vassal Engine itself (that's the foundational program that the SWM Vassal mod works on). You won't be able to use this new updated version of the mod if you don't first download and install an update to the Vassal Engine. Here's how it works:

You need to download the newest version of the Vassal Engine, which is 3.7.8.
https://vassalengine.org/
--follow this link ^^
--click the blue button: "Get Vassal for [Windows/Mac]"
--the file ("VASSAL -3.7.8....") will download to the normal place where downloads go on your computer
--double-click that file to install it and then follow the normal installation process. If your firewall warns you that this is potentially dangerous, just install it anyway (I had to click the More Info link and then "Run Anyway," but your computer may be slightly different)

It doesn't matter which one you download or install first...but you will need to have both installed before you can play with the new 26a stuff.