Seps 15 22.388059 %
Republic 26 38.805970 %
Cad Bane 26 38.805970 %

Which are you most excited about? Options
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:46:24 AM
Groups: Member

Im hoping that they do.
i ran Seps for awhile, and then all of a sudden, i was getting my teeth kicked in by rebels. i was so frustrated that i traded off more then half of my Sep army. Im digging these Commando droids, with the new GG, they oughta be a blast.
i have a question though, and it is a noobish question....
What is "Meta" mean in Minis talk?
Im hearing it used in conversation more and more, especially from the Vets, and cant figure it out.
bartenderpho
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:30:39 AM

The game before the game. Essentially squad creation. Countering other peoples squads with your choices in squad.
Squid89
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:50:09 AM

I vote for the Seps - they have the most to gain and it looks like they are getting some good boosts. The Republic pieces are fine, but they hve been pretty solid for a while. As for Mr. Bane, I wasn't all that sold on him in the cartoon (cool look and all, but he relied heavily on his associates) for him to deserve such a solid minis piece. We'll see if Season 2 changes things. He will be a great piece to play, but almost too easy. Hard to tell for sure without playing, just my first impressions.

I think the Seps could move into Tier 1 with a couple build options in the right hands. A lot will depend on how likely the Roger Roger piece will survive in combat (Def and HP).
billiv15
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:59:49 AM

Lol, I'm not surprised Cad is leading, but I don't think his effect on the competitive game will be very large. 80hps on any figure over 40pts in cost is just asking your opponent to get some easy points.
Eroschilles
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 9:07:38 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

My favourite piece so far would be the R7 droid. Alot of the others are fairly good, but I think I like the R7 the best. He is good replacement for RS R2, and is uber cheap door control for most factions. Not getting blown to peices by a jawa is also nice BigGrin
Gemini1179
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 9:12:52 AM

billiv15 wrote:
Lol, I'm not surprised Cad is leading, but I don't think his effect on the competitive game will be very large. 80hps on any figure over 40pts in cost is just asking your opponent to get some easy points.

Agreed. The shine wore off Old Man Han fast enough...
Eroschilles
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 9:26:45 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Gemini1179 wrote:
billiv15 wrote:

Agreed. The shine wore off Old Man Han fast enough...

Not when I play him Wink. Han's main problem as billiv has pointed out before is his surplus of abilities that don't get used every match drive his cost up. It just doesn't make Han cost effective to play.

Cad does have alot of survivabilty to him though. Stealth and Evade with Greater Mobile means people probably will have to base him to kill him. Once they do, he will go quick, but he has alot of damage potential before then. I think his biggest weakness is no accurate. Mouse droids can lead the way for the beats to get to him.
Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 11:52:00 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Honestly, I still am really excited about the Seps, but the Rodian Trader is a fun mini to play around with. Haven't quite played around with the Grenades portion just yet, but the Heal stuff is just crazy fun.
Bob Chizo
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 12:11:03 PM

im excited for cad because hes good, not because of who he is... well hes also fringe which is nice
billiv15
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 4:09:21 PM

Mandalore Da Beast wrote:

Im hearing it used in conversation more and more, especially from the Vets, and cant figure it out.

It's a pre-fix from Greek, that means "before (or after)" or "along side of" or "next to". For example, the term "Metaphysics" referring to what we usually call "Greek Philosphy" comes from the Greek libraries which considered MP to be the logical grouping "after Physics". It was considered a "science" in the ancient world.

Anyways, in gaming it refers generally to the game outside the game. Squad building as mentioned above, is only a very small part of it. Generally, it includes all the factors that help you win or lose that have little to do with the actual rules of the game itself.

So a squad can be tailored to a particular "Meta-game", which is a set of squads one expects to see at a given place or time, as well as the players we expect to see running each one. But also, a player can prepare for the person(s) they most likely expect to face for the top prize and tailor to that person. Further, you can use other factors to your advantage, such as "distraction" or in game strategies like, "baiting" when you know your opponent is prone to take the bait. And once they are on to your baiting trick, the next "meta" move is to use that against them, and give them "bait" they really should take, but that they will have to think twice about because of getting beat by it before. And so on.

Think of it like this. Many people believe this is a dice game and that in cases where skill (in terms of tactics and strategy) are equal, and squads are equal, that the dice is the only determining factor remaining. I beg to differ with that stance. Playing the "meta" game better than your opponent earns you wins in many of these types of situations. I could name several such victories that were not won on tactics, strategy, dice rolls, or squad strength. They were won by playing the opponent I was facing better than they played me. That is the definition of meta gaming :)
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:59:15 PM

billiv15 wrote:
Mandalore Da Beast wrote:

It's a pre-fix from Greek, that means "before (or after)" or "along side of" or "next to". For example, the term "Metaphysics" referring to what we usually call "Greek Philosphy" comes from the Greek libraries which considered MP to be the logical grouping "after Physics". It was considered a "science" in the ancient world.

Anyways, in gaming it refers generally to the game outside the game. Squad building as mentioned above, is only a very small part of it. Generally, it includes all the factors that help you win or lose that have little to do with the actual rules of the game itself.

So a squad can be tailored to a particular "Meta-game", which is a set of squads one expects to see at a given place or time, as well as the players we expect to see running each one. But also, a player can prepare for the person(s) they most likely expect to face for the top prize and tailor to that person. Further, you can use other factors to your advantage, such as "distraction" or in game strategies like, "baiting" when you know your opponent is prone to take the bait. And once they are on to your baiting trick, the next "meta" move is to use that against them, and give them "bait" they really should take, but that they will have to think twice about because of getting beat by it before. And so on.

Think of it like this. Many people believe this is a dice game and that in cases where skill (in terms of tactics and strategy) are equal, and squads are equal, that the dice is the only determining factor remaining. I beg to differ with that stance. Playing the "meta" game better than your opponent earns you wins in many of these types of situations. I could name several such victories that were not won on tactics, strategy, dice rolls, or squad strength. They were won by playing the opponent I was facing better than they played me. That is the definition of meta gaming :)

Thanks Billiv15. that makes perfect sense. so now i have a "classification" to go with what ive been doing for three years. thanks againThumpUp
DarthLegend
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 3:35:44 AM

clone with repeat blaster !! love my clone army and hes gonna be a big part of it lol..kit fisto hoping hes a solid piece hes 1 of my favs. and cad bane looks like a solid piece also