RegisterDonateLogin

Are you sure about this...trusting our fate to a website we barely know?

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Pacifism Question Options
N3rdSl4y3r
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2020 7:42:13 PM
Groups: Member

Pacifism [Replaces attacks, range 6; target enemy cannot attack this round; save 11]

Can someone affected by Pacifism still use Special Abilities or Force Powers that replace attacks?

My thought is no, but looking for an answer with some reasoning. Thanks
N3rdSl4y3r
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 7:22:17 AM

Does anyone have any thoughts or can they direct me anywhere?

UrbanShmi
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 8:22:28 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

According to the Glossary definition, the affected enemy cannot "make attacks" for the rest of the round. So that says to me that they would still be able to use replaces attacks abilities. I think it would still prevent replaces attacks abilities that generate attacks, though. I could be wrong on that.
N3rdSl4y3r
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 9:07:23 AM

My thought process is that since the character cannot make attacks, there are not any attacks to replace with special abilities or force powers.

Not sure if that makes any sense.
Caedus
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 9:11:41 AM

N3rdSl4y3r wrote:
My thought process is that since the character cannot make attacks, there are not any attacks to replace with special abilities or force powers.

Not sure if that makes any sense.

My Opinion

I see what you are saying but look at it like this. There is an actual "attack" phase. In order to "replace attacks" you need the attack in that phase to replace it with the special ability. Since Pacifism negates the attack, you have nothing to replace. Hope that helps
Caedus
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 9:13:54 AM

May need swinefeld when he isn't busy LOL
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 9:44:02 AM

I agree with UrbanShmi. They cannot make attacks, but they can do things that replace attacks. It's just like Heavy Weapon in that regard. You can move and replace attacks if you have Heavy Weapon, but you cannot move and attack.
N3rdSl4y3r
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 9:57:55 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
I agree with UrbanShmi. They cannot make attacks, but they can do things that replace attacks. It's just like Heavy Weapon in that regard. You can move and replace attacks if you have Heavy Weapon, but you cannot move and attack.

I think I am following, but I just want to make sure. So someone affected by Pacifism can still use ANY special ability or force power that replaces attacks, even if it grants attacks (lightsaber assault for example)?

DarkDracul
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 10:08:32 AM

You could not make an attack, even an attack generated by LS Assault.
You could use a replaces attack abilities like Force Lightning.

attack and Replaces Attacks are separate Glossary terms.

An attack is rolling a d20, adding the character's Attack number (including modifiers), comparing to the target's Defense, and dealing damage equal to the attacker's Damage number (including modifiers). If an offensive ability isn't resolved that way, it doesn't count as an attack.

“replaces attacks” is a special cost for some Force powers and special abilities. A character who uses such a Force power or special ability can’t make other attacks that turn, even if another ability allows extra attacks, and can’t replace more than one attack. When making an attack of opportunity, a character cannot use a Force power or special ability that replaces attacks. A character cannot use a Force power or special ability that replaces attacks in the same turn that it uses a Force power or special ability that replaces its turn.

Mobile Attack and Greater Mobile Attack also define an "attack" as separate from "replaces attacks."
This character can move both before and after attacking (or using an ability that replaces attacks).
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 11:43:34 AM

N3rdSl4y3r wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

I think I am following, but I just want to make sure. So someone affected by Pacifism can still use ANY special ability or force power that replaces attacks, even if it grants attacks (lightsaber assault for example)?

Agreeing with DarkDracul but just another way to think of it.

There are two main parts to your turn: movement and attacks. When you "replace attacks" you give up that part of your turn. Heavy Weapon and Pacifism make it so you are not allowed to make an attack, but it doesn't remove that part of your turn. So you can replace that part of your turn (the "attacks" part of your turn) with something else as long as you don't actually make any attacks (including attacks generated by special abilities or Force powers).

Something similar happens with Double Attack. Double Attack says "instead of moving", so you are giving up the movement part of your turn in exchange for making a second attack. This is different from Deadeye, which says "if he doesn't move". For Deadeye, you still have the movement part of your turn but you can't do anything with it because if take the Deadeye bonus you are agreeing not to move for the rest of the turn (including any extra movement outside of your regular movement, like Rolling Cleave or anything like that). With Double Attack, you give up your regular movement, but you are still allowed to use extra movement like Rolling Cleave.