RegisterDonateLogin

That thing's operational!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Disintegration and Bodyguard Options
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2020 1:43:50 PM
Groups: Member

Hi everyone,

I'm locked in a bizarre SWM rules argument on Reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarsminiatures/comments/ib23vw/disintegration_vs_bodyguard/

If anyone wants to drop by and help out or give me some pointers, please do....
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2020 6:40:52 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Might be worth mentioning that avoiding/preventing damage is different from redirecting damage. But if someone wants to play the game without following what the glossary says (apparently refusing to even read it?), then I'm not sure what you could do there. You're not playing against the person, so it doesn't really matter, and you quoted the rulebook so anyone following along can clearly see that you're correct and the other person is trolling (or an idiot - not sure which). Or to be generous, maybe they just don't care enough to follow your argument carefully.
AndyHatton
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2020 5:06:00 AM

Yeah I mean their username is already a red flag. But you posted the full glossary text which even explicitly states bodyguard so if that isn't good enough for them, I don't know what would be. (But TJ brings up the good point that they may not see the difference between "preventing damage" and "redirecting damage" as evidenced by using SSM as a similar example to this situation.

It seems to me they just don't think the glossary matters outside of "tournament play." Which is certainly an odd position but one they seem entrenched in. In the other thread you reference they call you a liar for reading the rulebook. I think they just don't want to admit they are wrong and to argue.
adamb0nd
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2020 1:48:58 PM

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - the most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a redditor when sanity is on the line".
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2020 7:31:47 PM
Groups: Member

Thanks everyone!

It was just driving me crazy and I needed some moral support.