RegisterDonateLogin

Stacks

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Games should not end before time with pieces that can cause damage left on both sides Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, October 8, 2020 9:57:11 PM
Groups: Member

My reply to that would be that that original intent of the game was to have one squad eliminate the other entirely. Gambit came about to encourage that, not to surpass that.

Thus if a squad eliminates another before time, without gambit favoring in - that is the desired result. I would consider that a success, and the result is clear.

Battle Ready is not simply an ability to secure gambit. It is an ability that can set up a better advantageous location to attack the other squad. To simply say Battle Ready is mostly used to secure gambit is to reduce the ability down to a sad state. That may indeed be what it is used for most currently, but that is a greater indictment against the way gambit is being (I would typically say abused here, but I have committed to using more neutral language . . .) focused on as a primary means to win, as opposed to using the ability to get closer to engagement with the intention of eliminating the other squad.

Your reasoning actually adds in to my original point
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Friday, October 9, 2020 3:47:21 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

The essential value of Battle Ready is closely linked to gambit. It allows you to get there quickly and allows you to set up a kill box there. Those are its main selling points. Most of the time, without gambit being a major consideration, I don't think it will give you a significantly more advantageous location than your opponent (on some maps it might). Whether or not that's true, the point is that Battle Ready is penalized to some extent.

I'm okay with gambit being a tactical element that contributes to victories, so I don't think it's abuse to build a squad that takes advantage of gambit.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Friday, October 9, 2020 3:52:51 PM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:

I'm okay with gambit being a tactical element that contributes to victories, so I don't think it's abuse to build a squad that takes advantage of gambit.

I agree with this. Gambit is a tactic that is valid to use in our game. If a player chooses not to utilize gambit, because they don't think their squad needs it, that's their choice. But using the gambit rules as they currently stand is not abuse, in my opinion.

Leaving semantics aside, I still have concerns about this idea. I was one of the people that Tim spoke to in the past, and I have spoken to him since this thread resurfaced. When I initially spoke out, things got a little bit heated, so I've been reluctant to dive back in. But maybe, as Tim says, cooler heads will prevail and we can have a real discussion about the best direction for the game.

Basically, my concerns boil down to this: I LIKE the way the game is now. I like being able to have a range of tactics available, including gambit, and piecing together the best way for my squad to win in each match-up. That doesn't mean I always use gambit, but in a lot of matches, I do. I feel like we have a wide variety of squads that can compete at the highest levels, including melee-heavy squads, which had always lagged a little bit behind. I'm afraid of the cultural changes that could come along with taking away the gambit accumulation tactic. We've seen it in this thread. People who like being able to win on gambit have been accused of wanting games to end "early" and arguing in bad faith. If that attitude takes hold, I'm afraid that whole squad types will fall out of favor. I may not like certain squads, but I want them to be options in the game.

Another thing I'm afraid of is the type of squads that will flourish in a new meta with this rule. People say that they will play more aggressively, but if they aren't bringing aggressive squads, I don't see how that can be true. People already play out act and smash and similar squads, squads that rarely get three-point wins and against which it's nearly impossible to get a three-point win without gambit. If games against those squads are required to continue past the point when someone gets to the build total, it's a boon for the high-act player, who gets more time to try to whittle away at the rock player. The rock player, on the other hand, may have been doing the best they could just to hang in there long enough to get to the build total. If the game is going to go one or two more rounds (or more), the rock player may not be able to hold on long enough. I don't think there's a clear "fair" in that situation--it's just a question of which player you want to mess with.

I want to be clear--high act squads are just as valid as low-act squads, and have a place in the game. I just don't want to see the balance swing back toward high-act squads at the expense of others.

TJ also points out another potential issue--more games will go to time. I understand that for proponents of the idea, that's a feature, not a bug. Personally, I'd rather play more games than longer ones. Some games should end before time. It has long been a point of pride for me that few of my games go to time--one way or the other, they end with a knock-out. With this new rule, it'll be a whole new ballgame.

There does seem to be an issue here that negatively affects people's enjoyment of the game. That's a problem, for sure. I just don't know what the solution is. I do feel that the solution proposed could introduce problems and make the game less enjoyable for a lot of people who like it as it is.

thereisnotry
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 5:58:13 PM

I think Laura makes a very good point. Here is my thought, after a few days of reflecting on what Laura said: While it might be possible to make the game a little bit better, let's be aware that it's also possible to make the game quite a bit worse.

Were there shenanigans and gambit manipulation at GenCon this summer? I wasn't aware of anything like that. Rather, it seems like everyone was having a great time, and it was exciting. The whole Regional season was good too. The meta seems to be really open, with so many different squad types being viable (and Skybuck STILL in the mix!). So really, I want to ask how much better we're trying to make things.

And no, I'm absolutely not afraid. This is a game; if it becomes un-fun (which, for me, comes down to combat avoidance) then I'll just stop playing, because I have literally a dozen other things I could easily do in my spare time.

Yes, I would like to prevent the possibility of winning (at 200pts) with 140pts of kills...IF my opponent is engaging in combat (if he's not engaging then I'm 100% fine with winning at 140pts). So if there's a way to improve things without hurting the very healthy game that we currently have, then I'm willing to try it out for a while. However, my whole point in this comment is that I just want to point out that any change that we implement will certainly change the game...it's just a question of whether that change will be for the better, or not.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2020 10:00:40 AM

I think this thread is proof positive that not everyone feels the same as you here Trevor. There has been a large number of players enjoying the game less and less over the last few years, in large part due to this.

It may be a small thing to you, but it's very big to others.

I think I'd put what you said this way:

While it might be possible to make the game a little less fun for a couple players, let's be aware that it's also possible to make the game quite a bit better for a large number of players.

There are players who feel this way that are entrenched in the competitive scene, but also players that have been feeling it on smaller levels as well. Tim from WI (Chargers) has been calmly and rational yet very direct about the fact that he greatly dislikes this specific aspect of the game. (I don't mean to speak for you here Tim, if I have mischaracterized your feelings please correct me.) I bring this up because he is a great example of someone whose character is beyond reproach. Anyone who knows him will tell you he is a consummate good sport, playing purely for the love of the game. He was key in fostering a robust group that started with many younger players. Many grew with the game and became excellent players too. My point is that he knows the game, knows what makes it fun for large groups of people, and has pointed out specifically THIS as something that leaves a bitter taste in his mouth. When he (and many others) say there is something really bothering them about the direction the game has gone - we need to listen.

Standing from the privileged spot of: "Hey - I think everything is pretty great now" - of course you wouldn't be excited about changing something.

There is a large percentage of the community saying - "No, it's not all smiles, hearts and butterflies here. This is a major problem that is making the games we love less fun. We're not gonna just give up and walk away - because we love the game too much.
gholli69
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2020 10:44:46 AM

Personally, I tend to agree more with laura. However if we went with something simple like if both players are in gambit no one is awarded gambit points then I could live with that. IMO if both players have pieces that are in a 6x6 square area then someone should be able to score some kill points if they are trying to engage. Yes I realize some maps have divided gambit where there can be a wall in between the two sides but I still think the easiest solution is no gambit scored if both teams are in gambit. It slows down the point accumulation if both sides are engaged to a point that I believe would be acceptable.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2020 10:48:33 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
When he (and many others) say there is something really bothering them about the direction the game has gone - we need to listen.

No question, there are a number of people who have said this is an issue for them, and the community is listening. Something does appear to need to change to preserve those people's enjoyment. But what?

All Trevor and I are saying is, don't be so quick to sacrifice the enjoyment of one group for the enjoyment of another (sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth, Trevor). And I would add: don't be so quick to assume that silence equals agreement. I assure you, there are plenty of people who haven't posted in this thread who have concerns, some big, some small, about making the change you're suggesting. They have their own reasons for keeping silent, and I'm not going to "out" them here.

The last few pages have been much more civil than earlier points in the thread, and I acknowledge that people on both sides have gotten personal and heated. I've apologized to you personally for my part in that, but I will do so publicly, as well.

I'm not really interested in arguing with anyone. Trevor and a few other people asked for those on the "other side" to post, so I did.

I love this game too, and I don't want to walk away, but like Trevor, if it becomes something I don't recognize in the future, that might be the best thing for me to do. I certainly can't stay a part of something that's so divided over what the game should be, so some reasonable resolution does need to be made.

FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2020 11:45:36 AM

Based on what I've read so far, I'm most in favor of:

* Gain gambit for a 10pt piece. 10pts gambit if alone in gambit, or 5pts each if both in gambit. Game ends at 200 or time (Randy-B)

It's least amount of change to the game. The game still ends at 200, but the gambit "clock" gets slowed down some as long as both players are in gambit. As long as both players are in gambit by round 2, you can't win with only 140pts of kills until round 11. If both players are in gambit, it's like old gambit with 5pts each. But if either player is slow to engage, the other player can run out to a big gambit lead. Similarly, the end-game will accelerate by going to 10pts per round of gambit so that chasing down back-row commanders probably isn't necessary.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2020 1:22:52 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Based on what I've read so far, I'm most in favor of:

* Gain gambit for a 10pt piece. 10pts gambit if alone in gambit, or 5pts each if both in gambit. Game ends at 200 or time (Randy-B)

It's least amount of change to the game. The game still ends at 200, but the gambit "clock" gets slowed down some as long as both players are in gambit. As long as both players are in gambit by round 2, you can't win with only 140pts of kills until round 11. If both players are in gambit, it's like old gambit with 5pts each. But if either player is slow to engage, the other player can run out to a big gambit lead. Similarly, the end-game will accelerate by going to 10pts per round of gambit so that chasing down back-row commanders probably isn't necessary.
Yes, well-reasoned. If a game goes 11 rounds of combat without a full squad defeat, then that's crazy! lol And yes, this version of the gambit change will certainly require less adjustment than my suggestion. I could easily support trying this out.

And Tim, I have repeatedly acknowledged that the concern you've raised (games ending too soon because of so many gambit points) is a real concern. Multiple times. At no point have I ever said "Who cares?" about what you and others are concerned about. Rather, I really do want to see what we can do to improve the game.

Rather, in my most recent post I was simply saying that (for a mature and established game like SWM) it's easier to mess it up than it is to perfect it. So yes, let's try to perfect it, but let's not assume that a change (any change) will necessarily make the game better.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2020 1:27:16 PM

One last comment for now, because this concern has been brought up a few times recently:

Perhaps we need to remove from the Restricted Maplist any map that has divided gambit?? I'm just thinking out loud here. By this I'm referring to maps where the gambit zone is split into separate rooms which are easily defensible. Therefore, perhaps the Ravaged Base map (as much as I enjoy playing on that classic map!!) would need to drop...but perhaps the Starport Terminal or Rebel Fortress maps (which have a wall running through gambit, but the entire thing is in one single room) would remain. I think it would need to be dealt with on a case-by-case basis, but if separated gambit is a real concern, then something like this might be worth considering.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2020 2:00:27 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
One last comment for now, because this concern has been brought up a few times recently:

Perhaps we need to remove from the Restricted Maplist any map that has divided gambit?? I'm just thinking out loud here. By this I'm referring to maps where the gambit zone is split into separate rooms which are easily defensible. Therefore, perhaps the Ravaged Base map (as much as I enjoy playing on that classic map!!) would need to drop...but perhaps the Starport Terminal or Rebel Fortress maps (which have a wall running through gambit, but the entire thing is in one single room) would remain. I think it would need to be dealt with on a case-by-case basis, but if separated gambit is a real concern, then something like this might be worth considering.

Other than Knight's Enclave, I don't think any standoffs we've seen have been the fault of the maps.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2020 10:08:03 PM

thereisnotry wrote:

Ravaged Base has always been the main offender here. Divided gambit isn't a problem when only 1 door separates it, or it's a short distance around an object (such as Starport Terminal and Rebel Fortress)

It can sometimes have the undesired effect on Outlaw City (A standoff on both sides of gambit - whoever makes the first move loses), but it is quite easy to happen on Ravaged Base.

From the gambit in the Turbo Lift to gambit in the Command Center, it can be as many as 13 squares (not even counting the rough terrain), and THREE doors. Without a pretty major movement breaker, you can't get there in one turn. And whoever makes the first move is often at a very large disadvantage.

It's a shame because it's a great map in many ways, but the extremely separated gambit can create really not fun scenarios.

Of course - I don't know if any of the proposed changes effect that much
shmi15
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 4:34:42 PM

Proposal.

Play 2 tournaments. A * mock top 4 of 4 good players. 2 from each position.

Random pairings. But, create a squad based on the gambit format alone. The opposing position should bring 2 squads to show the system can be abused while remaining competitive, and following all rules including no slow play.

Then play an entire different tournament, flipping the positions.

The results should speak volumes.

Caedus
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 5:19:03 PM

So I'm a flavor guy, so bear with me on this. I've been reading this thread and while I see a bunch of "game mechanics this" and "game mechanics that", "abusing this" and "take advantage of that". What I haven't seen much of is that this is StarWars!! StarWars, you know, that crazy cool movie saga that we all love. The one that most of us started watching in our toddler years, or in the case of Darth_Jim, Highschool! LOL, I digress...

While I understand Game and Cinema "life" are completely different, some degree of flavor (as with Our Characters and Cinema Characters) must exist.

For instance, In our first Movie/Game, Someone (probably AceAce) brings his Gungan squad against a Droid swarm. Now the Droids still have a ton of pieces on the field, but Jar Jar's last kill puts the Gungan's at 200 and the battle/skirmish is called before the game/movie is over.

In our second Game/Movie, a big Jedi Rock Squad is facing off against a Poggle Geonosian swarm (before the Errata). Turns out the Republic Squad was a Reserve theme (Thanks a lot urbanjedi, because now that is banned). That game also goes to time as the reserves proved to be the swing the Jedi needed while they were holding gambit. Jedi win a close one as it goes to tiebreaker with General Windu being the closest to center

Our Third Game/Movie was a Barn Burner, heavy emphasis on burner. In this one it is the Republic vs Sith w/Affinity to Imperial?? Anywho, it is a big snooze fest until close to the end when The Chosen One fails his Dark Temptation save and has to join his opponents squad. Turns out to be devastating and the Imperial/Sith Squad hit 200 and the game is called.

In our Fourth Match-Up we finally see our first Total Annihilation as our New Zealand friends proved that Krennic and the Death Troopers were broken and totally crushed Randy's Rogue One Squad.

If it hasn't been clear, I have been trying to portray that our game takes a lot of different winding paths, much like the movies. Sometimes the battle/game is called because the points added up to the limit. Sometimes your opponent concedes, and the sometimes you hit your bad match-up and you get crushed.

As for changes (whether the changes are complicated or not, that is up to the person trying to understand it, I guess), I'm not a huge fan. I think the system is pretty decent. I would support slowing the gambit engine down, with the "Gambit is 10 unless you are both there, then it is only 5" proposal, but tactics are tactics. You use what is available. For me, the "Game goes to time if X is happening" feels like it is taking away a facet of the game. Like Unkar Plutt absolutely killing reserve squads. For the record, I was against as much of a change to act control that happened. I think it is too severe and takes away from some really cool builds, but here we are.

Anyway, Hope you enjoyed the post

Chargers
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2020 9:50:48 AM

UrbanShmi wrote:
... don't be so quick to sacrifice the enjoyment of one group for the enjoyment of another ...

I certainly don't want that. Nor do I think anyone on here wants any side to get more out of the game than the other. It would be horrible to splinter the community. It's hard enough without new product on store shelves to get players into, or stay in, the game. We don't need to drive them away.

I'm optimistic that a solution will be found. There are a lot of smart, experienced players here. Yes, there is some disagreement at times. That's okay. (As long as it's civil and not personal.) Each idea has some merit and good intent behind it. The discussion will lead to something that improves play so that all enjoy playing the game and supports a great variety of play styles.