RegisterDonateLogin

Prevents AT-STs from falling over.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Buy Singles vs. Buy Case Options
Joshkj
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2009 7:29:49 AM
Groups: Member

There are a few higher priced mini's i want (Emp on throne, Reb command luke ect). I have a semi large collection as is. My question is, should i buy a case of IE considering there are only 40 minis in all or just buy the figure outright. There are definately other minis I want from the set and its hard justifying $40+ for one mini when i could get a whole case (84 minis) for about 100.

Thanks!
saeseetiin
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2009 7:34:55 AM

yes definitly buy a case and get the ones you don't get on ebay or auggies cool stuff always has good stock but there a little over priced mini market is good too free shiping on orders over 75$ go with the case from mini market and ebay or auggies for the ones you miss
swinefeld
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2009 7:45:47 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Depends what you need from the set.

If you buy a case, you will get 4 random VRs, all the Rares, 2 of each Uncommon, and 4 of each Common. (there is a possibility of minor variance, but the case I bought was exactly as I stated).

So, if you already have most of the Rares you want, you will definitely end up with extras of those, and there is no guarantee what the VRs will be, though you stand a decent chance of getting one or more that you are chasing.

Plus, keep in mind that mouse droids are pricey as singles...
mercenary_moose
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2009 8:01:47 AM

If you are a new player, DEFINITELY go for the case.
harmonm4
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2009 8:03:12 AM

There is always the option to use what you get in the case for trading. If you like extra minis to use for custom making, and you would like the chance to use multiples of your rares and very rares for trading, then I would say to buy a case.

My strategy for buying is to buy one case, and then buy the other 4 Very Rares. That will often be less than buying 2 cases, and I am guarenteed to get every mini in the set for less than $220! And when you buy a second case you have just as much of a chance of getting every VR you already got from the first case as you do of getting the exact other 4 that you need. Unless I really want a lot of multiples due to excellent commons/uncommons, then I wouldn't buy 2 cases.

IE is a great set for uncommons IMO. So I would possibly make an exception for that set. You will get 2 mouse droids, and that is a $15 to a $20 value right there. On the flip side, there is a very likely chance of not getting Luke or the Emperor, so you still have to spend money/make trades to get them.

It just depends on how much you really want to spend and if you are willing to take the chance of not getting what you want when you spend that $100+ bucks.

Good LuckThumpUp
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2009 2:52:49 PM

in a week, Palpy on the Crapper jumped 15$ on ebay, coolstuff ,Strikezone and Troll & Toad. making him average about 42$.
to me, Crapper/Throne is a vital piece for my Imps, and Commando Luke to my Rebs.
my opinion is buy the 2 you need, to insure you have them, and then buy 6 boosters.
that way you are getting what you want for sure, and whatever you might pull, can be used for trading, selling and/or personal use.
Joshkj
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2009 6:11:57 PM

Didnt even think about the mouse droids... hrm, it think im going for the case! Thanks guys! Ill be sure to let you know how it goes! :)
DarthLegend
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 7:33:37 AM

whenever a new set comes out i always just but a few boosters then buy singles.. i hate doin it but money wise its defiantly a look easier
Lobar Aybock
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 3:42:45 PM

Yeah I preorder all my singles and buy one or two boosters at the most. I typically spend about a hundred bucks and get everything I want each set.
r2fu2
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 5:29:10 PM

Buy a case, you get most of the set and the other 4 VRs should not be to hard to get.
LandShark
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 6:41:39 PM

Every set that comes out, I buy a case. Then I purchase the 4VRs that I need to finish the set. I think its the best way to go. So my answer is both.
Womby
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 3:56:09 PM

Here's the problem I've always had with the issue of singles versus cases. I'm in the habit now of buying a case, then trading for the rest. However, this usually only gets me what I want from that set.

I started the game when Clone Wars came out, so I have a fair amount of "catching up" to do. After some research, the first case I bought was Legacy of the Force. I was fairly lucky in my pulls, but I didn't get one of the minis I really wanted: Cade Skywalker, BH.

Barring extreme luck on eBay, if I wanted to pick him up as a single, it would cost me ~$45ish.

Here's where my problem comes in. I'm fortunate enough to be able to spend $40-50 on something I want. However, the mini doesn't exist in a vacuum. $50 is a video game. It's a really good dinner out with my girlfriend. It's three DVDs.

It's also half a case of minis. Which provides drafting enjoyment in addition to the minis I would pull.

While I have the financial means to do so, dropping over $20 on any one mini is just hard for me to justify. More so because the only person I play with is the girlfriend.

So now I'm trying to figure out how to get the older pieces that I would really like. Buying a case plus a few boosters of the latest set when it drops is a nice schedule, as it doesn't destroy the budget, but it just nets me even. I usually only want half the VRs in a set, so I either pull them from the case, or can trade for them. But, I don't end up with any trade fodder for the older pieces.

Decisions, decisions . . . .
Joshkj
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:12:27 PM

Well, i had some extra cash to throw around this past weekend so i went insane and got the rest of every VR, and R i wanted except from the IE set. Got a case im waiting on in the mail.

Got:
Jedi Exile
Vodo-Siosk Baas
Rakghoul x5
Jacen and Jaina
Darth Maul Sith Apprentice
Master Lucien Draay
Warmaster Tsavong Lah
Nom Anor
Boba Fett, Mercenary
Kreia
Wolf Sazen
Kyp Durron
Boba Fett, Mercenary Commander
Storm Commando
Bane
Darth Sidious Hologram
Darth Vader, Unleashed
general windu
mas amedda
General Wedge Antilles
Yomin Carr
Ughs and a ton of awesome UC and commen sets

Only still want nym, bastilla, kol, and a few i cant remember :P

Pretty happy on how the ebayness turned out with these, paid a very fair price in the end(def after shipping) :D Ill be sure to post my impressions of how the case thing goes :D
Mickey
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 12:25:00 AM

I had to do some catching up myself because we quit for awhile then came back. I have found the best thing is a case for each new set and ebay or trading for those you need to fill in. If you watch ebay enough you can find what you want for a good price.

Cade can be had for alot less. Just watch them each week and bid in the last few seconds only. Don't bid as soon as you see it. Put it on your watch list. Snipe it at the end :)
DarthJak
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 1:03:08 AM

SWMs auctions on E-bay can be won with lower bids now than they have been in the past.

It is a good time to buy!ThumbsUp
Joshkj
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:03:36 AM

I got most of them for alot less than store prices, but at the same time a couple my stubborness got the best of me and I ended up paying WAY too much lol. But hell it was fun to have those little bidding battles in the last few seconds.
kenred2
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 9:05:22 AM

I find it easier to purchase several packs, perhaps 3 or 4. Use the figures that you pull and if those aren't the ones that you want, trade them along with the uncommons/commons as sweeteners to obtain a priority figure, one at a time.
swsf17
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 1:58:35 PM

I would buy a case. It seems like all the people who buy cases get at least two good minis. LOLFlapper
Joshkj
Posted: Friday, October 2, 2009 7:30:45 PM

So the case was a HUGE sucess, for my VR's I got:

Palp on throne!
Vader
Dash
Leia

I wanted all of them except for leia, and i already have 2 Rieekans from the two random boosters i bought a few weeks ago. Im so happy right now!
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Friday, October 2, 2009 7:44:23 PM

you should be!
those were great pulls!