RegisterDonateLogin

Finding this site was the will of the Force, I have no doubt about that.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Metagame from 2004-2005 Options
thekamon
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 2:29:33 PM
Groups: Member

Hi,

A couple of my friends and I used to play during the first 3-4 expansions. Unfortunately I can't find much on what the best squads were at the time. Does anyone have any links/info to successful teams from this era? I know this is prior to a lot of the "better" figures being released, but we're interested in buying some minis and playing again.

My background is competitive tcgs, so I'm used to finding a lot of data on how metagames evolved from set 1 - current, but given the fact that SWM is dead and gone now... Makes this a little challenging.

Any help is appreciated!
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 2:58:53 PM

I've been digging around trying to find some articles - there used to be some good articles about the evolution of the metagame.

I didn't play then but I've heard that R2 being the only piece with override, along with Boba shooting, was a big deal in the Rebel Storm era.

R2 Astromech from Revenge of the Sith is still one of the elite pieces in the game, like 35 sets later.

Grand Admiral Thrawn from Universe was very significant too, although Mas Amedda with booming voice didn't come out until Champions of the Force.
adamb0nd
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 3:16:28 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

TheHutts wrote:

Grand Admiral Thrawn from Universe was very significant too, although Mas Amedda with booming voice didn't come out until Champions of the Force.

That's really interesting. I joined after this. Hard to imagine the game without Mas, and swap squads with no CE extenders.

Just looking through the first 4 sets, Doombot and Aurra Sing, and thrawn stand out as the most competitive options. As Hutt's said, R2 is still an auto include for the republic faction.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 3:28:40 PM

Lobot in Universe is a big one too, giving every faction access to door control.

Darth Sidious from Clone Strike, San Hill, and the Battle Droid Officer are Sep pieces that still see competitive play - although I don't know that the Seps had enough good attackers to complement this excellent tech.

Mon Mothma for death shots is another significant piece, although like Thrawn she really needs Mas Amedda to be effective.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 3:44:43 PM

Dead is a relative term. This community still plays. Online tournaments throughout the year. And gencon championship every year.

DarthBainCapital
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 4:03:11 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Dead is a relative term.

Especially in the star wars universe. Maul, Sidious, Boba, etc...
thekamon
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 4:50:42 PM

TheHutts wrote:
I've been digging around trying to find some articles - there used to be some good articles about the evolution of the metagame.

I didn't play then but I've heard that R2 being the only piece with override, along with Boba shooting, was a big deal in the Rebel Storm era.

R2 Astromech from Revenge of the Sith is still one of the elite pieces in the game, like 35 sets later.

Those articles are exactly what I’m looking for. Let me know if you can locate them. :)

I’ve had my eye on Boba for sure. Will try and look up some of the other figures you mentioned too. I can just barely picture what those minis look like.

FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 5:31:09 PM

This isn't quite what you're looking for, but might be somewhat helpful:

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Competitive_Star_Wars_Miniatures_Squads#

If you find good information, perhaps you can add info for earlier years than are listed there. GenCon winners go back to 2007. Brief meta description (mainly just the rest of the top finishers at GenCon) are listed back to 2012.

The swmgamers.com forums are all but dead, but all the old posts are still there. If you go hunting there you might find what you're looking for in the forums somewhere:

http://swmgamers.com/forums/index.php
EmporerDragon
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 6:45:25 PM

Back during that time, the game was 100 points, so there wasn't as much variety since you couldn't fit more than 1 big guy or 2-3 mid-range characters into the squad, but 2 main squads dominated.

HAL (Han Solo, Aurra Sing, Lobot) and Operation Dirtbag (Boba Fett, Aurra Sing, R2 Astromech, Filler).

Accurate Shot and Override were much more powerful in the early days of the game and a squad without access to one or the other struggled in the competitive scene. As such, the game revolved around 3 core shooters, Boba Fett, Aurra Sing, and Han Solo (Both versions), as not only could they consistently hit their targets, they had free range of who to hit. Even the big Jedi like Mace Windu and Vader struggled heavily as by the time they could catch the shooters (if they even could), they'd be down half or more of their health and would still need 2-3 rounds to kill the enemy. Additionally, because initiative rules at the time had the first phase moving 2 minis instead of the 1 nowadays, a player with those squads after winning initiative, would be able to shoot and run with little fear of retaliation or unleash a massive amount of damage and cement victory.

It was the release of the 5th set that really shifted the meta, as with it, 3 big gamechanging pieces came out: The Ugnaught Demolitionist, Mas Amedda and the Jedi Weapons Master. The Ugnaught gave cheap door control to everyone which allowed other factions to be able to play without being as afraid of a lockout loss. Mas Amedda's Booming Voice made spacing less of a concern and allowed players to better maneuver their squads without having to keep linchpins in danger. Finally, the Weapons Master was a happy accident; Originally designed as a unique rare, Cin Drallig, the Weapons Master got turned into an uncommon, but did not get recosted for losing Unique. This led to a low-cost melee unit that both had survivability and damage potential and could have multiples on the field; He basically obsoleted almost every melee unit from the previous sets. However, it was needed, as with the shooter heavy meta, melee units were just glorified meatshields, taking up shots so the more competent fighters could kill without taking damage back. From then on, melee units were much more aggressively costed as they needed to compete with the JWM both in combat and appeal, creating the lovely side effect of making them viable in competitive play.
The other big shaker with CotF is that the game scene shifted from 100 points to 150. This allowed players to have more tech to make some good combos and also to not just revolve around 1-2 characters doing everything.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2020 7:09:07 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Darth Sidious from Clone Strike, San Hill, and the Battle Droid Officer are Sep pieces that still see competitive play - although I don't know that the Seps had enough good attackers to complement this excellent tech.

They really didn't become popular until a few sets later as they needed both the additional tech and the game to shift to higher points. Sidious was usually paired up with Aurra, Dooku, or Maul, but that didn't really leave much left over for anything else, and was still hard pressed to beat a shooter based squad. Pawn of the Dark Side didn't see much use early on as there weren't many viable options to Pawn. That started to change around Universe when he was given things like the Viper Droid or the Acklay to play with, but the true Pawn Star, the Lancer Droid, was still years away. The BDO was an auto include in droid squads, but there weren't many good options; You'd run it with Grievious, SC and Bodyguard Droids and/or Dwarf Spider Droids, making a squad that could deal some good damage, but was very vulnerable. Alternatively, one would be run with 2 Destroyer Droids, but even with shields, they still died too quickly. San Hill really didn't start to shine until around Bounty Hunters, when he could finally be paired up with heavy hitters who didn't need to go first, like Boba BH or characters with Opportunist. Similarly, he needed the shift to 150/200, as at 100, you'd have so few activations that he was more liability than asset as you'd be dead before being able to react.