RegisterDonateLogin

Bloominous beings are we...not this crude matter.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Discussion Thread: Balance Committee Rulings 2021 Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2021 12:00:59 PM
Groups: Member

Darth_Frenchy wrote:
Let's steer clear of the Ad hominem arguments.

First of all I'm sorry. The way this was approached and rolled out was very upsetting to me on a personal level, and I know some of my responses where infused with that anger and came across poorly. I never meant any personal attacks.

Darth_Frenchy wrote:
If I have a point I have a point, if I do not then I do not. I am going to assume I did, since you chose not to respond to any of my points.

I'm very confused by this. There were some things you brought up that had no relation to anything I was promoting, so I didn't comment on those. Otherwise I thought my in depth post clarified how I felt on many things related to what you brought up. I'll try and be more clear.

Darth_Frenchy wrote:
Before its points increased from 5 to 10 nobody cared about Gambit.

This simply isn't true. Did it matter less mathematically? Yes, of course. But this hyperbole is not helping anything.

Darth_Frenchy wrote:
This was after the 3/2 change btw. It wasn't until both 10 point Gambit and 3/2/1 scoring that we saw engagement really start to change. New designs may have helped that, but no way is it entirely due to new designs.

I think the 3/2 change made a MASSIVE difference (I think this was before your time in the game?). There was a tangible difference in the way games were played. The 3-2-1 and 10pt gambit, also made a change. Unfortunately while there was some good to this change, there was also some bad that came along with it. I understand why it was implemented, and don't want to totally abolish it, but I think it could be tweaked to keep the good and close the loophole for bad.

Yes, designs have made some progress in this area as well, but I agree they have not been the biggest factor.

What you didn't mention is actually probably the most significant change to the game yet - the hardcore nerf of activation control. The change to the game since then has been absolutely drastic. Not all in a bad way, but certainly much different. This has been the biggest change yet.

Darth_Frenchy wrote:
Any change we make, if any, should be thought about very very carefully. We should also be willing to reverse those changes in the event they have poor results.

I absolutely agree! In fact some of the changes we have made along the way have been overall good, but imperfect and allowed other less than desirable things to be present.

Furthermore - it doesn't have to be all or none. It can be incremental, and that aside - I do think we should actively pursue ways to KEEP the positive changes, and correct the negative ones. It doesn't have to be either or.

To use Trevor's analogy - let's put the chainsaw away, and get out the scalpel.

Darth_Frenchy wrote:

3 point wins should be reintroduced as a tie breaker: Pretty obviously needs to be there.

Agreed, but I actually think it should be even greater than a tiebreaker. To reiterate the point I made in the previous post, (I'll reframe it here):
(by our current system) 6pts, 2-2 record (3,3,0,0) should be greater than 7pts 2-2 (3,2,1,1) in my opinion. But obviously it isn't currently. Why? Same record, but one player had all wins 200pts or greater. One player only had one win of 200pts or greater. That should outweigh a couple of 1pt losses in my opinion. We can come up with all kinds of scenarios on why one engaged more than the other - but again - there are extremes in all cases (kamikaze just to barely get 100, vs a nail biter where you scored 199 and lost), and likewise with 2pt victories (won 5-0, vs 199-198). It gets really complicated to define a dividing line to differentiate, and ultimately you have to draw it somewhere. However, a full victory where one player defeats all of the other players pieces cannot be argued. It is above reproach. It is what should be sought after every time. Thereby it should be rewarded the most. a 2pt victory and a 1 point loss cannot equal a 3pt win and a 0pt loss, even if the prior wins in a tiebreaker. Why? Because 1pt losses actually encourages 2pt wins. You can FULLY make up for a 2pt win by getting a 1pt loss instead of zero. That should not be the case. 200+pt wins should stand above and not be able to allow 2pt wins to make up for it, much less surpass it, except perhaps in extreme cases. (say three 1pt losses can make up for one 2pt win)

Everyone talks about finishing games finishing games finishing games. That's great. But then we have a system that allows a player that NEVER finishes a game to surpass a player that finishes ALL their games, even if they have the same record. (and yes, I know this isn't always the case, but in my opinion, it shouldn't even be a possibility.)

We have been using a sledgehammer to try and PUNSIH slow play, but in doing so actually promoting it in another way.

TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2021 12:24:28 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
Furthermore, I'm very leery of trying to do heart surgery with a chainsaw...that is, of making one large, sweeping rule that may work in certain circumstances but will only cause problems or allow for abuse in other circumstances.

That's the issue. That IS what we have done.

However - we don't have to tear up the whole system to correct it. We can keep the good and close off access to the bad.

thereisnotry wrote:
Having said that, I'm just wondering out loud here: What if you could not score gambit if you locked a door that leads to Gambit this round? Of course, if your opponent locks one of those doors (rather than you) that would not affect things, but if you locked the door in question, then you gain no gambit. Is that a bit too harsh? Perhaps, but in some circumstances it's worth it to give up a round of Gambit in order to prevent your opponent from executing certain tactics. Anyway, I just raise this possibility as food for thought; I'm not even sure it would be a good thing, but it at least has the possibility of addressing gambit-abuse-via-lockout. What problems do you guys see with this possibility?

While I don't think this is the solution (too many gray areas - what if the door is well outside gambit but still restricts your opponent. What if there's 2 doors? What if you locked a door to prevent shots from across the board but are actively fighting other characters in gambit?) I COMMEND you for trying to think outside the box! This is what is needed. These are the conversations that should have been explored by the balance committee.

thereisnotry wrote:
Part of the challenge is that there are so many different maps...on some maps, the Gambit area is enclosed by a room with lockable doors. On other maps, Gambit is split up by walls and various rooms, so it's much more difficult (sometimes impossible) to lock someone out of Gambit.

Fully agreed, and this is a challenge.

One option that I was exploring with Laura the other night is this:

If both players are in gambit AND there was engagement (an attack, a save, etc), then neither earns gambit.

The idea of - if both teams are in gambit, then neither player gets gambit - was a good start - but the loophole is that this could still occur without engagement. (2 separate rooms, a locked door, etc). If engagement is what we want, and gambit is supposed to encourage engagement, then gambit is unnecessary when engagement is happening. This keeps engagement the focus (by literally spelling it out), but prevents gambit stacking when what the purpose of gambit is, is already happening.

Now this obviously doesn't directly address lockout wins, which is a separate problem and also a valid one. Also one that is hard to acutely define, btw. I remember in a game I locked a door once (literally once, and not even in gambit), and it was decried as a "lock-out" win. That doesn't fit the definition in my book. But a game where all you have left is Lobot in gambit, locking out the other player's Darth Bane, and gaining enough gambit to win - now that is some BS.

I have heard the fear of people with lower activation squads having to go "chase down" commanders in the back or random uggies running away.

I hear that, and I think we should account for it in any solution we seek

I think having games end when no character that can do damage is left should be automatic.

In fact - I think exploring having pieces as combatants and non-combatants being distinguished would be a good thing. Have a minimum damage threshold (20 damage?), and when there isn't a piece left that can do that, it's game over. (This is a kernel of an idea and not the whole solution - this is meant to be a start off point for brainstorming.)

A squad might have 8 combatants, and another may only have 1 with tons of suped up CEs and SAs to help out that piece. If they were defined as such, once the 8 combatant squad defeats the single combatant on the other side - game over.

It's gonna take a lot of careful thought and testing. Something that hasn't been done yet, at least to the degree it deserves. The primary reason I am upset at this whole thing.

This needs to be looked at, in ALL of it's components, from ALL points of view, with an open mind.
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2021 12:40:54 PM

Thank you for reframing and clarifying where you're coming from, Tim. This was helpful (at least for me).

I also agree fully with the definition of engagement that you and Laura discussed. As long as engagement (by that definition) is happening, then I have no concerns. I think all the rules/structures around tournament ranking should aim toward reinforcing this singlular goal.
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2021 12:51:02 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:

If both players are in gambit AND there was engagement (an attack, a save, etc), then neither earns gambit.
I like this idea. A lot!

After looking at all of these issues quite a bit over the past few months, I do think that several of them can be resolved by making a tweak (such as this) to the Gambit system:
--In almost all cases it severely curtails the ability of a player to win on gambit when the opponent still has viable attackers on the board.
--It encourages engagement in a stalemate situation, because neither player is getting ANY closer to victory while both remain inactive.

Perhaps we could make an adjustment like this for several tournaments and see how it affects things. This alone might be enough to resolve the conundrums we're discussing (at least to an acceptable level).
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2021 1:46:38 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

I like this idea. A lot!

After looking at all of these issues quite a bit over the past few months, I do think that several of them can be resolved by making a tweak (such as this) to the Gambit system:
--In almost all cases it severely curtails the ability of a player to win on gambit when the opponent still has viable attackers on the board.
--It encourages engagement in a stalemate situation, because neither player is getting ANY closer to victory while both remain inactive.

Perhaps we could make an adjustment like this for several tournaments and see how it affects things. This alone might be enough to resolve the conundrums we're discussing (at least to an acceptable level).

I think that's a great idea!

Now any moment someone will post an extreme example that would likely never happen on why this idea won't work, but I think this needs to be seriously considered.

It feels very cut and dry. Gambit is there to promote engagement. If both players are in gambit and engagement has occurred, gambit no longer serves it's one and only purpose.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2021 1:47:49 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
Thank you for reframing and clarifying where you're coming from, Tim. This was helpful (at least for me).

I also agree fully with the definition of engagement that you and Laura discussed. As long as engagement (by that definition) is happening, then I have no concerns. I think all the rules/structures around tournament ranking should aim toward reinforcing this singlular goal.

Amen brother, preach!

(lol, as I was typing this I thought about the fact that you are an actual reverend)
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2021 2:23:51 PM

Good post Tim,

I do not believe it was Hyperbole. On average most games were not affected by 5 point game. From the polls done at the time this was a very widely accepted viewpoint. It was not worth the opportunity cost and thus did not properly encourage engagement. As was it's purpose.

I like the idea of making Completed Wins weighted over Partial Wins and 1 point losses. An obvious solution is to just increase the amount of points a Full win is worth. I am not sure how we do that without making 1 point losses no longer a factor though.

On changing gambit to be added on at the end of regulation time as a tiebreakers. I think that the way I would be most comfortable doing this is instead allowing 1 additional round after a player reaches 200 with Gambit. Meaning with time still on the clock, play would end the round after 1 player reaches 200 victory points in kills and Gambit.

Thoughts?
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2021 3:10:27 PM

Darth_Frenchy wrote:
allowing 1 additional round after a player reaches 200 with Gambit. Meaning with time still on the clock, play would end the round after 1 player reaches 200 victory points in kills and Gambit.

Thoughts?

I like this idea.

If there's time left on the clock and pieces left on the board, it's never made sense to me to stop. Obviously the losing player could choose to not continue the extra round (have only Lobot and an uggie left, for example). But if it's Cad Bane with 10hp left, anything could happen. Let the one additional round decide. Again - only if there is time left on the clock at the end of the round when a player reaches 200.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2021 3:18:43 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
I think having games end when no character that can do damage is left should be automatic.

Yes, I am quoting myself here, but I felt it should be looked at specifically as its own point. I'm afraid it got lost in the mix.

Once all pieces that can do damage (any damage) on a squad are defeated, the game ends immediately and that player loses. Full 200pt victory no matter what.

Sincerely, I'd like to hear objections to this becoming a rule, and rationale. I for the life of me can't think of any.

The above is the conservative approach. Very cut and dry.

I would be willing to take it a step further and instead of no damage, I'd say 10 damage or less (accounting for all CEs, SAs and FPs, but not crits).

The game is done when all you have left is 3 uggies. (where as the idea based on literally only pieces that do zero damage would allow the game to play on in this instance)
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2021 3:27:26 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
I like this idea.

If there's time left on the clock and pieces left on the board, it's never made sense to me to stop. Obviously the losing player could choose to not continue the extra round (have only Lobot and an uggie left, for example). But if it's Cad Bane with 10hp left, anything could happen. Let the one additional round decide. Again - only if there is time left on the clock at the end of the round when a player reaches 200.

Good, I think it is a good compromise. Helps to deal with the issue without an indefinite extension of playing time. Also it doesn't devalue Gambit to the point of no longer encouraging engagement.
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2021 3:37:43 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
I would be willing to take it a step further and instead of no damage, I'd say 10 damage or less (accounting for all CEs, SAs and FPs, but not crits).

The game is done when all you have left is 3 uggies. (where as the idea based on literally only pieces that do zero damage would allow the game to play on in this instance)

As would I, and this is one of those cases where if there happens to be an exception then you can call a judge over. Say you have an uggie and they have a character with 10 hit points lefts within 6. Honestly at that point you can gentlemens agreement that without even needing the judge.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2021 3:55:11 PM

Darth_Frenchy wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

As would I, and this is one of those cases where if there happens to be an exception then you can call a judge over. Say you have an uggie and they have a character with 10 hit points lefts within 6. Honestly at that point you can gentlemens agreement that without even needing the judge.

I think the default would be that you'd play the extra round, unless the losing player concedes.
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2021 4:41:33 PM

Yeah that would work to.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2021 9:22:52 AM

With the new reinforcement ruling, is bribery the only ability that brings in characters that don’t count for kill points?
DarkDracul
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2021 10:45:59 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
With the new reinforcement ruling, is bribery the only ability that brings in characters that don’t count for kill points?

No, there is Rackghoul Disease (maybe others?) where added characters don’t count toward the cost of a squad.

The glossary must specify that added characters do not count for kill points.
For instance, Porgs count for points because the glossary doesn't specify otherwise.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2021 12:45:43 PM

I figured there were some sorta unique ones such as Rakghoul Disease. I was hoping to cobble together a full list

So

Bribery
Rakghoul Disease

Anything else?
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2021 1:27:24 PM

For continuity Bribery could change in the future. Maybe even Rakghoul Disease, but i'm not sure it is necessary
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2021 1:34:54 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Bribery steals Reinforcements. Are they worth points or not?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2021 1:36:51 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

For gambit, I like the idea of having 10pts of gambit available per round. If you're the only one in gambit you get all 10pts. If both players are in gambit, each get 5. So if you're not in gambit, you're giving up a lot, but if you are in gambit, the game doesn't rush so quickly to 200pts.
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2021 2:21:53 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Bribery steals Reinforcements. Are they worth points or not?

Reinforcements are worth points, but should bribery be worth points? Do you think they should be?