RegisterDonateLogin

Impresses females of your species.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Star Wars Adventure Gaming (SWAG) vassal tournament idea Options
Mando
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2021 5:38:58 AM
Groups: Member

I had a crazy idea that i think could be a lot of fun and wanted to see if there'd be any interest in participating in this. It uses Kezzamachines SWAG system he created for Star Wars miniatures. see the link below.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=30262

My idea for a tournament is to have it take place over a number of rounds (8-9). Format would be there is a team captain assigned for each team. Everyone rolls up a random character or if everyone wants to roll up a created character in which you choose what to get, we can all do that also. The point is you get your very own character at lvl 0 to start the tournament off.

Depending on the number of players we have, you might have 1 character of multiple characters (for example, it'd be good to have at least 6 versus 6, so if we had 6 people signed up, everyone would roll up 2 characters and team captains would draft players with 2 characters to be on their team).

Every round of the tournament ends with a victory for either team and everyone on BOTH teams gets to advance up 1 level. So for example, everyone starts at lvl 0. round 2 would have everyone at lvl 1. Everyone in round 3 would be lvl 2...etc. This way the game evolves over the course of the tournament and teams could strategize on what to add onto their characters as they level up. If your character is knocked out in a round, don't worry. they are revived afterwards and you still get experience. You are trying to work together as a team to achieve victory.

The team that has the most wins at the end of the 8-9 rounds we play is the winner. The first couple of games will be pretty quick i'd imagine since its just base stats. As the characters on each team get to higher levels, more interesting combos happen and strategies appear. The cool thing about this format is that you control your characters....so they are kinda like an avatar for you in the game of star wars minis. This is similar to a Star wars rpg experience but this is more utilizing the skirmish elements of SWAG. To determine order of play, its just like Star wars minis skirmish. Roll init, alternate play until everyone is activated.

Would anyone be interested in this kind of format? I think at a minimum we could do this with 4 players, with each player making 3 characters (or we could do more if you'd like). Another idea for tournament structure would be
we could have 2 teams of players (each player would make 6 or more characters to play...we'd have to decide), team captains would draft players to be on their team, and each team goes against each other in 1v1 matches for each round and the wins contribute to the teams point total. (this is kinda like the GVL tournaments that happened long ago on swmgamers.com). Obviously if we got more players it'd be more fun but also harder to schedule a time for everyone to get onto vassal. I am really impressed with the work Kezza did to make SWAG and it think it'd be fun to do skirmishes on vassal with players all over the world. Reply on this forum post if you'd like to try this out!
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2021 10:52:40 AM

I'd love to do this.

I think the main challenge might be getting everyone online at the same time for a match. That basically amounts to having 9 tournaments (though each game will require less time than a regular tournament). I think it's certainly do-able, but the multiple-players-per-team idea might slow it down considerably.

Another option might just be to let everyone create a squad of 6 characters, and people play as normal, in a regular league (Round Robin) style of play. Everything is better with more players, but if you want to avoid the headaches of scheduling, this might be easier.

Either way, I'm in. This will be fun!
Mando
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2021 12:23:20 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
I'd love to do this.

I think the main challenge might be getting everyone online at the same time for a match. That basically amounts to having 9 tournaments (though each game will require less time than a regular tournament). I think it's certainly do-able, but the multiple-players-per-team idea might slow it down considerably.

Another option might just be to let everyone create a squad of 6 characters, and people play as normal, in a regular league (Round Robin) style of play. Everything is better with more players, but if you want to avoid the headaches of scheduling, this might be easier.

Either way, I'm in. This will be fun!

yeah, i think for scheduling it might be easier to do each player gets 6 characters to create and then goes up against someone else's 6 characters. i do think it'd be fun to keep the team aspect in a tournament. so each team could have 3 players, each player with 6 characters they created. Round robin style matchups between the 2 teams for a total of 9 games (each player plays against a person from the other team 3 times total but each time the characters on your team are at varrying lvls since the characters gain experience as the tournament goes on). I think probably the best way to determine who wins the tournament, each matchup's final score is what it tallied up for each round. The team with the highests total points amongst all teammates at the end of 9 rounds wins. This way even if you lose a match, your points you scored still count and could impact your teams overall victory in the end.
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2021 1:11:06 PM

*bump* looking to see if a few more people might be interested in this.
kezzamachine
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2021 2:05:45 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Okay! After seeing this I went into full spreadsheet mode so I could make something that would theoretically make SWM-SWAG characters fairly quickly. Check out the additions to the SWAG Thread...

...and let's make some characters!
Mando
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2021 10:03:03 AM

i introduced SWAG to a friend of mine who isn't a very experienced swm's player, but he seems to have caught on to this new way of making characters pretty easily. we've been working at creating 6 mini's each and maybe if everyone did this we could do a round robin? my friends name is Sam and he's not on bloomilk yet with an account.