RegisterDonateLogin

Chocolate milk, strawberry milk. A Jedi craves not these things.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Barada on Skiff Disembark SA vs returning to the battle grid via Large Transport Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2021 10:02:37 PM
Groups: Member

Can a character return to the battle grid at the beginning of the round via Large Transport, and then board again that same round?

Quote:
Large Transport: Adjacent characters get -6 Attack on nonmelee attacks. Transport up to 6 Small or Medium allies who did not Disembark this round and who end their moves adjacent to him. Remove these allies from the battle grid; they are not considered to be on the battle grid or adjacent to this character. They cannot be targeted, attacked, make attacks or count distance from this character. They lose Disciplined Leader, and their commander effects, special abilities and Force abilities are suppressed. Transported allies may return to the battle grid immediately before your first activation of the round. If this character is defeated, transported allies are also defeated; save 6.)

My assumption is yes, because "returning to the battle grid" is not called "disembark" in the Large Transport definition, and "Disembark" is capitalized, thus leading me to believe it is referencing the Special Ability "Disembark" specifically, and in conclusion that they are intentionally different.
urbanjedi
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2021 6:20:10 AM

Yes, I believe they can for the exact reasons/logic you presented.

TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2021 9:28:58 AM

So you could load characters up in round 1, unload them at the top of round 2, have them attack, move them adjacent to the skiff (Bib's CE) and board, then unload them later with disembark.

It seems the only stipulation for loading/unloading in the same round is that you cannot load a character that previously used the Disembark SA in the same round.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2021 10:35:12 AM

While I obviously overlooked that loophole, I hope it will put my design on the table a little more often. Thanks, Tim!
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2021 10:56:47 AM

Darth_Jim wrote:
While I obviously overlooked that loophole, I hope it will put my design on the table a little more often. Thanks, Tim!

It was neither obviously overlooked nor clearly a loophole.

It actually seemed intentional, because it makes sense.

I think the main potential abuse is covered. It’s a lot different unloading at the start of a round vs during Disembark. Unloading through Disembark could be after the entire other squad has been activated. Unloading at the start puts your pieces in potential danger outside of the skiff.

The main abuse (and potential NPE) would be characters hiding aboard the skiff, while it’s moving and then it dropping them off after the other squad has all activated, attacking, and then getting back on board. This is not possible and covered.

Unloading at the start of the round then getting back on the skiff later (and potentially getting off again in the same round via Disembark) has minimal use IMO, but in certain circumstances it might be exactly what is needed.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2021 1:10:50 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

That looks right. (official answer from swinefeld)