RegisterDonateLogin

Expresses its true feelings for you in the South Passage.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

First act as a Mod- up for review Options
ArtemisCFrog43
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 12:48:23 PM
Groups: Member

Ok, One of the biggest problems that I have wih this forum is the amount of trade threads people create. It's a little out of hand that people keep creating topics when they are looking for one or two minis.

It is much easier to create ONE trade thread and update it as need be rather than just adding a new thread and cluttering up the forum.

So, what i want to do... go through the trade threads and clean out old threads like "Looking for Rancor" or "Want Revan, Have Fett Merc". Does that seem like a good idea or would it just make people angry that their old threads disapeared?
mercenary_moose
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 12:57:52 PM

I'm in favor of this change.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 1:05:23 PM

Yeah, a single thread for small, specific trades would be good. I'd give it a title like "BlooMilk Swap Meet".
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 1:11:21 PM

By "It is much easier to create ONE trade thread and update it as need be rather than just adding a new thread and cluttering up the forum.", do you mean what EmperorDragon said, creating a universal small trade thread, or do you mean what I think you mean, that each user has one and only one trade thread? Sorry for the discombobulation. Razz
Darth Percocet
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 1:37:37 PM

Mitth'raw'nuruodo wrote:
By "It is much easier to create ONE trade thread and update it as need be rather than just adding a new thread and cluttering up the forum.", do you mean what EmperorDragon said, creating a universal small trade thread, or do you mean what I think you mean, that each user has one and only one trade thread? Sorry for the discombobulation. Razz

Thats actually a cool idea, having a whole other thread when your just looking for a specific figure or trading a specific figure, a small trade thread.

As for the clean up idea i think its a good move ArtemisCFrog43 & good idea. Problem is i know atleast with me is when i create a thread then ill keep up with it, but then there will be a good time period when i stop tradig for a bit & then i get back into trading again & cant find the thread. So will there be like a limit on a thread like to where if you dont maintain it for a week you can make a new thread, or will we have to find the old thread we made even if it been like a month?
Dr. Destructo
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 2:36:45 PM

I don't think cleaning up the trade section is a bad idea, but it may be a bit drastic. We're ok with the move because it won't be our threads that are going to be removed or altered. Therefore, the real opinions that matter are those of the most effected individuals and I feel that you Mr.Frog should maybe talk to those individuals privately so that you all can come to a simple resolution. Trust me I've been a mod before, big changes can really p.o some people and the best mods are often the ones with the softest, most subtle touch. Just somethin' to consider.
DarthJak
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 2:44:16 PM

I've never used the forum to make trades. I use the trades feature. It is a more direct approach.
swsf17
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 3:17:47 PM

That sounds like a good idea.
r2fu2
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 5:12:04 PM

Deffinately the right way to go.
Darth O
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 5:19:35 PM

I think the best way to sort out these kinds of things is to hold a poll
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 6:29:15 PM

whenever i edit my trade thread, i edit the header of my thread aswell.
i know of a few people that make multi threads, and am friends with one of them.
i will speak to him and have him keep only one, (though im sure Arties not talking about just him.)
my suggestion is, when someone has a trade thread, make that the only thread you have. there is no reason to have 4-5 of them, and no reason to continually "Bump" all of them.
When editing said thread, make sure you EDIT your HEADER too!
if you have exclusive trades, I.E "will trade Naga sado for Vader Unleashed", just write it in your thread. put it at the top. and then with your other trades, just list them as you normally would: Wants on top, Trades on bottom.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 6:31:31 PM

ArtemisCFrog43 wrote:
Ok, One of the biggest problems that I have wih this forum is the amount of trade threads people create. It's a little out of hand that people keep creating topics when they are looking for one or two minis.

It is much easier to create ONE trade thread and update it as need be rather than just adding a new thread and cluttering up the forum.

So, what i want to do... go through the trade threads and clean out old threads like "Looking for Rancor" or "Want Revan, Have Fett Merc". Does that seem like a good idea or would it just make people angry that their old threads disapeared?

And no, i wont be angry.
its a good idea.
ArtemisCFrog43
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 2:15:15 AM

I think limiting users to one thread that can be edited is the way to go. If there was a search function where you could search by "topics started by user X" it wouldn't be as much of a problem. That's why we need to get things under control.

To make digging through the Trades section we will install a couple rules...

One trade thread per person. It is easy to edit your post with new minis or remove traded ones. You can also edit your heading to reflect what you are looking for.

I think a 48 hour bump rule is a great idea and it might only mean that you have to click one more page to find your thread.

I think Chuckafett is willing to take on the pruning of the Trades forum as he is kind of the guy that rules that realm.

I am more than willing to clean up any other sections and remove threads that haven't been replied to in over a year.
shinja
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 2:25:38 AM
Groups: Administration

I'm just brainstorming:

-There could be a subforum of the Trade forum that is specifically for people seeking certain minis.

-Also, posts that are specifically about one trade ("Want Revan, Have Fett Merc") could have some kind of prefix in the subject line. i.e. "[**] Want Revan, Have Fett Merc". [**] is just an example--it could be anything.

That way, when someone is scanning down the list of threads, they could easily ignore those, or look at them specifically. Instead of deleting the existing threads, you could just add the prefix, and set up a Trade forum rules sticky and include the prefix rule there.
kenred2
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 2:30:42 AM

You'll have my support ArtemisCFrog43
DarthJak
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 2:54:34 AM

I like the bump rule.ThumpUp Very often members posts only last an hour or 2 before they are bumped away.Sad
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 3:37:15 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I would support any plan that results in a smaller, better-organized trade forum.

That said, I really feel that folks should just use the trades function in the collection tracker, and then as needed, maintain a single forum thread in which specific requests/offers are listed. You can always include links to your main lists. The ability to do a side-by-side comparison is REALLY nice.

Some folks don't want to input their whole collection and keep it up to date, but that is not necessary anyway (except for the squad-builder?) I've encountered a number of users who only use the collection tracker to keep a list of wants/trades, and not their haves (or "keeps") if you catch my drift... It works just fine that way.

But I am fine with whatever keeps the greatest number of users happy BlooMilk
Biggsy
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 3:54:30 AM

I totally support this idea!

The bump rule would be nice as i see too many threads almost always being in the first page of the trade forum. And the limit of one thread per user would definitely clean up the forum a lot. It would be nice with a search function though, as it can be a pain to look through page after page to find your old trade thread.

Cheers
-Biggsy
theshadowreaper
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 6:55:19 AM

Sounds to me like you have your poll results. :)
SithflyonBasilisks
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 7:03:49 AM

DarthJak wrote:
I like the bump rule.ThumpUp Very often members posts only last an hour or 2 before they are bumped away.Sad

I agree with this, sometimes you put something up and because of the volume of post that coming in it is gone before anyone really has the chance to do see if.

I also agree with the original statement as well. I am guility for posting more than one trade post at a time, and I am sorry for that. sometimes I will post on thing, and the think about something later on and just start a new post instead of editing the one that I have already posted.