RegisterDonateLogin

I would not eat them with some Wookiees. I do not like Bloo Milk and cookies!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rating Squads Options
harmonm4
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 5:06:11 PM
Groups: Member

I would have to say we can do a much more productive job of rating squads. I don't mind getting a lower rating especially sinse it is often on squads that I tend to make as a work in progress that I also really think needs some adjustments. The rating does not always mean a whole lot to me. What I really would like to see improve is the way people give (don't give) constructive feedback about squads.

This was a comment posted on one of my squads, and it is just one of many:

Quote:
Sorry, but I think Bane + 6 Uggies could beat this.

That was it. Nothing else was said.

Now, I'm not here to post about how tough Bane really is, but where's the benefit to that comment other than, "Looks like you have a crapy squad?" Where's the constructive feedback? Are you just saying not to play the squad? I don't mind being told the squad would not do well against a particular squad, and Bane is a hate squad for the type of squad I built, but I already knew that, and no one around here ever plays Bane. What good did that comment do? I don't mind being told it's not the best squad. I just would like some ideas to improve it or a suggestion to make it work. Also not "Dump X and Y." Give an explanation or your thought process. Nothing long just constructive.

The ability to post on someone's squad is an opportunity to encourage and possibly give feedback as to how to make the squad better. I always try to make sure I post at least one positive comment, and if I don't, then I make sure I give constructive feedback as to how to potentially make the squad better. I call it "basic people skills." I am not perfect at it, but it sure doesn't seem like many people know how to be CONSTRUCTIVE and yet we play a very constructive based game (if you know what I meanWink ).

Before anyone says, "You have to expect some bad reviews too" just remember that is not what I'm posting this for. It is because people do not say anything that makes it worth posting squads up for critique. There's just hasn't been any constructive comments for a while.
Eroschilles
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 5:17:19 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

It would be nice if people gave more descriptive critiques, but unfortunately that is not the case. I think if you want serious constructive opinions, then the best route to go is to post your squads in the Squad Building Discussion with a link to your squads.
harmonm4
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 5:38:12 PM

Eroschilles, thanks for the comment. You recently posted on one of my squads, and your comments are very constructive. You of all people are one person I was not refering to. There are a lot of other people who post very constructively as well. ThumbsUp I really appreciate that. More than anything, this has made me want to get out and post on more peoples' squads with an even more constructive viewpoint. Anyway, my biggest thought here is, "Lets be constructive in our reviews with each other." We are a great community, lets just make it better!ThumpUp
EmporerDragon
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 5:40:04 PM

I'm assuming you have multiple accounts as it shows for me that you have made no public squads.
Zalkrie
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 10:40:57 PM

I also could not find any public squads for you.......However, you are fighting a losing battle on this one. I have now removed a squad for almost the same reason you quoted. A "good player" posted on one of my squads, "it will never work" and rated it a one. Nothing else said. I then PMed the person and asked why they thought it wouldn't work, he is a good player after all, and all I got back was, "It is not my responsability to tell people how to play the game correctly". I would rather the person left no comment and not rate my squad at all. I really didn't care about the one rating. I get them all the time with no comment......but if you are going to leave a comment, be constructive.......but this argument has been fought before, and it will not change, unfortunetly.
harmonm4
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 5:15:41 AM

I had about 60 squads posted, and I have removed them all from public view. I have decided I will select them one by one as I have questions about how to improve particular squads. For the time being I do not have any squads I'm particularly wanting a critique posted. I will post some eventually, but right now I have not made many new squads, and I think it's probably a good time to just take a break from worrying about my squads and focusing more on my classes in pharmacy school. When I need a little break for a few minutes, I'll try to get around and critique a few squads myself just to break up my studying.

@ Zalkrie: Perhaps I am fighting a loosing battle, but I can win a small victory by getting around and giving constructive critique. It may not be a whole lot of critiquing since I am very busy, but I will make sure if I critique a squad it will be to help that particular person with the squad. Anyway, I will do what I can to make the community better.
mercenary_moose
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:47:08 PM

People really don't have the time to go and leave huge squad comments on every little squad they see. It would be nice if we all did, but it ain't happening any time soon. Would you rather that someone tell you a glaring weakness of your squad in a one-sentence comment or leave an anonymous 1?
harmonm4
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:06:54 PM

Mercenary Moose, I think you missed my comment above. Like I said, I don't care about the rating so give a 1 for all I care. If you're going to comment then it's appreciated, but make it worth something to the person who built the squad by making it constructive. By the way I specifically said you don't have to make it long.BigGrin

harmonm4 wrote:
Give an explanation or your thought process. Nothing long just constructive.
Zalkrie
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 10:29:07 PM

mercenary_moose wrote:
People really don't have the time to go and leave huge squad comments on every little squad they see. It would be nice if we all did, but it ain't happening any time soon. Would you rather that someone tell you a glaring weakness of your squad in a one-sentence comment or leave an anonymous 1?

If people are taking the time to leave a nasty comment like "squad will never work" and then rate it bad, they have enough time to leave a constructive critque. It doesn't have to be long, but make it productive. I think the point is that people should be more willing to help others instead of being jerks or smart A's. Like your mother always said, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!! BigGrin
Comicsaurus
Posted: Thursday, October 1, 2009 2:32:10 AM

I've always assumed that my squads (or maybe it's my ID) weren't worth commenting on, or rating. Unsure