RegisterDonateLogin

Is a one-man wrecking crew.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Star Wars Miniverse podcast, Episode #5 Options
Chargers
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 4:08:27 PM
Groups: Member

Star Wars Miniverse (or SWMv for short), a new podcast devoted to the magic of the SWM skirmish game, continues with a brand new show.

In Episode 5, we continue our discussion of highly rated figures that are easy on your budget. We also discuss some general guidelines for proper game etiquette and where one can look for "Star Wars Minis for Dummies".

Visit our website listed below:
www.swminiverse.com
And get the website-only goodies! Can you Guess The Mini? Episodes are also available in mp3 format.

Subscribe on iTunes (or other provider). You can also subscribe straight from the site above:
http://web.me.com/markandjill/SW_Miniverse/Star_Wars_Miniverse/rss.xml

Email:
swminiverse@gmail.com
BountyHunterH
Posted: Monday, October 5, 2009 9:53:46 AM

Great job on part 2 of the Budget Wise segmant. ThumbsUp

You guys hit a home run in my book with these. I have picked up some of your suggestions and will be looking to get some more.

Here's a thought for another type of segment. How about MUST Haves for a Tournament Quality squad by Faction? In this case, monetary cost is relatively insignificant (certainly for the hardcore player it is). Maybe top 2 to 3 with Fringe being a little bigger based on the ability to be in all squads. I realize point size of the squad will affect that somewhat, but I will let you guys determine how to handle that (if you even like my suggestion).

Keep up the EXCELLENT work!
MoCrush
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2009 11:41:48 AM

Great show....thanks for the help!!!
mercenary_moose
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2009 2:02:38 PM

BountyHunterH wrote:
Great job on part 2 of the Budget Wise segmant. ThumbsUp

You guys hit a home run in my book with these. I have picked up some of your suggestions and will be looking to get some more.

Here's a thought for another type of segment. How about MUST Haves for a Tournament Quality squad by Faction? In this case, monetary cost is relatively insignificant (certainly for the hardcore player it is). Maybe top 2 to 3 with Fringe being a little bigger based on the ability to be in all squads. I realize point size of the squad will affect that somewhat, but I will let you guys determine how to handle that (if you even like my suggestion).

Keep up the EXCELLENT work!

I've gotta agree with him here, except that I didn't think you put enough Rares in the budget part. But a Must-Have for Tourney section would be sweet. It'd really help some new players find out about some competitive figures they could really use.
BountyHunterH
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2009 4:23:15 PM

Is it a secret as to what part of Wisconsin you guys have your shop in (where you play)? I'm not sure from listening, but is it your shop or "just" the shop where you play?
Chargers
Posted: Thursday, October 8, 2009 1:01:59 AM

BountyHunterH wrote:
Is it a secret as to what part of Wisconsin you guys have your shop in (where you play)? I'm not sure from listening, but is it your shop or "just" the shop where you play?

Nope, no secret. In fact, if you look in the events section you'll see monthly posts of the upcoming games we're having. The store we play at (we do not own it, unfortunately) is Kryptonite Kollectibles in Janesville, WI. Is there a reason you ask -- game store owner who wants feedback from others, want to join us, don't want to run into us, want to support the store, etc?
BountyHunterH
Posted: Thursday, October 8, 2009 1:15:00 PM

I only ask because I have some friends that live and lived there. I was partly curious as to whether I may have happened upon your store while traveling in Wisconsin. Can't say that I've ever been in Janesville, though I have a friend who lived there.

I too wish I owned a cool shop like that, but I don't have the funds.

On a side note, I gotta brag a little. I found a case of TFU for $70 ("free" shipping) AND my wife gave me the go ahead to buy. I pulled BOTH Secret Apprentices, Fellucian on Rancor, Han Carbonite (I'm sure better for theme play than tourney), Luke Hoth, Wookie Hunter etc in the case. I was pretty pleased as I had NONE of the rares or very rares from the case previously. I thought this was a nice addition to my collection. I was hoping for Revan, but honestly I'll probably play VAU more often.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 12:26:44 AM

Another good episode, Mark and Tim. I think Mercenary Moose has a great idea about tournament pieces. I think, though, if you do that, it should be done in an interview of a seasoned tournament player. And...are we talking about the current meta, or are we talking about support pieces that transcend the meta and work with any squad? That would certainly make a smaller list. Possible interview candidates that come to mind that you haven't already had on the show (Dean, Deri and Micheal would all have been good candidates) would be Lobostele, Billiv, Nickname, TINT, Ruhk, and Grand Moff Boris among others. (Using their screen names because I don't want to assume I can use their real names...Dean, Deri and Micheal all used their real names on your podcasts.) I think Nickname often gets forgotten in a discussion like this because he's known for other areas of expertise, but he's a good player in his own right.
One other matter of semantics. When you refer to door control on your show, you refer to pieces that would be good candidates to move next to a door and open it because they're cheap and difficult to hit. (mouse) In teaching concepts of door control to my group, I've always defined door control as any ability that could affect a door overridden closed. Shatterbeam, satchel charge, and override would fall into that category. I preach having some sort of door control in squads, and while door gimmick is a nice ability, in my opinion if thats all the door control thats in a squad that squad will be at a disadvantage. The concept you lay out in why moving the mouse next to a door to conventionally open it is a sound one, but in my opinion it is not door control, and a new player might get confused in the terminology.
Thanks for your continued quality work putting together these podcasts. I always look forward to listening.
Chargers
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 3:01:08 AM

Darth_Jim wrote:
... tournament pieces. I think, though, if you do that, it should be done in an interview of a seasoned tournament player.

Already have Jonnyb815 planned to cover this topic. ThumpUp

Darth_Jim wrote:
I think Nickname often gets forgotten in a discussion like this because he's known for other areas of expertise, but he's a good player in his own right.

Yeah, you're right; and we're guilty of that too as you'll hear in episode 6.

Darth_Jim wrote:
... When you refer to door control on your show ...

Good points. We'll take that into consideration for future shows.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 11:18:16 AM

I met JonnyB at GenCon...good choice.