RegisterDonateLogin

Smells marginally better than the inside of a tauntaun.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

What do you Gamers do to keep in shape Options
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, June 7, 2021 10:55:35 PM
Groups: Member

I can't seem to find time to play games and stay in shape. It's one of the other.
Usually it's games or shows.
Currently, I have the beach body app on my Roku and am doing the Core de Force workouts.
No equipment needed, just a mix of boxing, kickboxing, Muay Thai moves. Nothing crazier then a roundhouse.
I got to say, they are FUN.

I never can get into jogging or cycling. I think I could get into rowing, but not great convenience.
Currently 5 kid and 2 foster in the house so it's difficult.

What y'uns do to stay in shape?
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Tuesday, June 8, 2021 5:02:51 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Sometimes I walk to the kitchen to grab snacks.
Darth_Reignir
Posted: Tuesday, June 8, 2021 5:52:45 AM

45 minutes at planet fitness, mon-fri
adamb0nd
Posted: Tuesday, June 8, 2021 5:58:25 AM

We have a few local rock climbing gyms. I always find that fun because you have to think too hard about the next hold to bother think about how miserable working out is. Plus kids love it too.
Udorian84
Posted: Tuesday, June 8, 2021 6:15:04 AM

Darth_Reignir wrote:
45 minutes at planet fitness, mon-fri

How do you find time for that?

I have found a "healthy old-man weight" and just maintain. I do manual labor at the house a lot.ThumbsUp I hike twice a week, and I will join the flag football league when they start up. Nothing crazy.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, June 8, 2021 6:30:52 AM

I work in the restaurant industry. On my feet the whole time. On a busy shift I'll walk over 10 miles. So I luckily don't need to do a lot more than that to at least maintain a reasonable weight. When my work was shut down due to the pandemic, I gained 30lbs, and was actually overweight. I lost 15 of that just by going back to work.
Blah Blah Words
Posted: Tuesday, June 8, 2021 7:53:20 AM

Something like an indoor bike (recumbent or normal), a treadmill, or an elliptical can go a long way very easily and you can get an indoor bike, that with proper maintenance, will last just shy of forever for under $200. I have found that 99% of people that dislike using machines either own one and it's lodged in the basement with laundry draped on it, or they have only ever used them at a gym. Exercise needs to be enticing because we all have a limited amount of time in which to do things in a day. As a result I rarely dedicate time specifically for the sole purpose of exercise anymore.

Personally, I like to exercise while I play a video game or watch a show. If I am going to be in front of my tv in any capacity, then I try to be on a piece of equipment doing something, or lifting weights in intervals while I watch or play a game. As a result it's not hard to consistently get 30min-2hrs of exercise 7 days a week, depending on your viewing habits. In reality, 90% of getting proper exercise comes down to time management.
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, June 8, 2021 9:26:52 AM

I go jogging after work during the summer/fall and train for a 5k and a 10k after i'm done with the 5k. during the winter/early spring i exercise on treadmill/bike indoors
wannabe mexican
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2021 12:36:51 PM

I jog and while I thought I would hate it, it turns out if you listen to The Michael Scott Podcast Company podcasts it is actually quite nice.

That being said, my biggest issue is just eating garbage foods all the time. If I ate less of that, I would likely be a much healthier weight.
jen'ari
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2021 1:55:48 PM

Mando wrote:
I go jogging after work during the summer/fall and train for a 5k and a 10k after i'm done with the 5k. during the winter/early spring i exercise on treadmill/bike indoors

Geez a 5k. I would hate seeing all those people way faster then me.
But last year I almost signed up for the Santa5k they do at Dollywood. Maybe I will look into one of those.

And grab a podcast while I'm at it
kiki
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2021 3:47:44 PM

I play Squash (ranked as one of the best sports to keep healthy) usually twice a week. A fast metabolism is also nice!
adamb0nd
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2021 4:34:20 PM

wannabe mexican wrote:

That being said, my biggest issue is just eating garbage foods all the time. If I ate less of that, I would likely be a much healthier weight.

I would be so good looking if i stopped eating and drinking trash concentrate
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2021 9:21:25 PM

Thankfully my jobs (Infantry soldier and now Firefighter/Advanced Care Paramedic) require fitness as part of the job and provide gyms at work so I’m in there an easy two hours a day and it’s part of my work time. But I also live not to far away from work so I run to the close fire halls and pedal bike to the farther ones. My favorite one for whenever you are home for the day is just setting your phone timer on repeat to go over every 30 minutes and just do some kind of exercise when you hear the tone. Start small like 1 push-up/pull-up/Chin-up/Squat/10 seconds of any plank, and then do that for a whole day/week/month and slowly ramp it up in numbers of repetitions on each workout and you will find the many small things help more than trying to plan one big one.

Actually I recently got our health and safety committee at work to install a pull up bar in the bay, so whenever we come back to the fire hall from an emergency call and anytime we walk past it we stop and do 5 chin ups. Great for team building, morale and fitness.

Lastly abs are made in the kitchen, I started intermittent fasting two days a week (just don’t eat breakfast and then have a late light lunch of 300 calories or a supper of 600 calories and you will lose weight fast but healthy as your other days is just normal clean eating).
jak
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2021 8:23:22 AM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
Sometimes I walk to the kitchen to grab snacks.

+1
the most honest answerThumpUp

( if only I can get the snacks to come to me)