RegisterDonateLogin

Help me Bloo Milk, you're my only hope.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Calo Nord, Bounty Hunter + Tarpals + Guildmaster Craddock Options
Blah Blah Words
Posted: Tuesday, June 8, 2021 12:09:08 PM
Groups: Member

Can someone clarify a few interactions for me.
- If Calo Nord uses Craddock's CE does he also get to use Tarpal's CE for a double throw?
- If Calo Nord uses Last Stand, does he get to double throw with Tarpal's CE?
Darth_Reignir
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2021 8:46:34 AM

Assuming that Captain Tarpals allows you to use the same ability twice, I think the answer to both of these is yes. In my group we've traditionally allowed Tarpals CE to let people use the same ability twice, ie Grenades 20 then Grenades 20 again.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2021 9:33:20 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Tarpals' CE specifies on their turn, so the answer to the second question will usually be no. I'm not sure about the first.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2021 9:37:07 AM

1. No. Cradossk's CE replaces turn. Tarpals' CE replaces attacks with 2 abilities instead of just 1, but when you replace your whole turn you don't have any attacks to replace.

2. No. You aren't replacing attacks with Presumed Dead, so Tarpals CE doesn't trigger.

To clarify, Tarpals' CE says "Each follower can use 2 abilities that replace attacks instead of 1 on its turn." This would be open to two different interpretations:

* "When a follower uses an ability that specifies 'replaces attacks' on its turn, it can use 2 such abilities instead of 1."
* "When a follower replaces attacks with ability on its turn, it can use 2 such abilities instead of 1."

This difference didn't matter during WotC days, but with Cradossk, Presumed Dead, etc it does make a difference. Tarpals uses the second interpretation: you have to actually replace your attacks to gain Tarpals' benefit.

By the way, that's a great question - great eye for detail. That's a legitimate ambiguity that I don't recall anyone bringing up before. But all of those abilities (Cradossk CE, Presumed Dead, etc) have been designed and balanced based on the interpretation that they do not stack with Tarpals.

You didn't ask this question, but as Darth Reignir said, you can in fact use the same ability twice when using Tarpals' CE. It doesn't have to be 2 different abilities.
Darth_Reignir
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2021 10:17:50 AM

I get point 1, and will defer to FlyingArrow on it. 2 I don't quite get.

I don't see why interpretation #2 is correct and #1 is not. Is it just a matter of decision by the part of the designers?

Thanks
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2021 10:27:19 AM

Darth_Reignir wrote:
I get point 1, and will defer to FlyingArrow on it. 2 I don't quite get.

I don't see why interpretation #2 is correct and #1 is not. Is it just a matter of decision by the part of the designers?

Thanks

Yes. Both are legitimate interpretations - there's real ambiguity there. That's not a knock on whoever worded Tarpals' card - the wording didn't matter until you could use replaces-attacks abilities without actually replacing attacks. That didn't happen until the Vsets introduced it. (I forget which character did that first.) I don't think I've ever heard anyone raise interpretation #1 as a possibility before. This question had me reading it more closely and concluding that #1 is another valid way to read Tarpals' CE. But the all of the design has been based on and balanced under interpretation #2.

(Same thing for Overload, by the way, since it exactly copies Tarpals' wording.)
Darth_Reignir
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2021 10:44:22 AM

Understood - thanks
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2021 10:59:27 AM

I'm going to throw a big KUDOS to FlyingArrow for his Johnny-on-the-spot answering of rules questions time and time again. I cannot count how many he's corrected that I've tried to interpret. So we should all be thankful there are people out there like that who want to help us loose cannons to reign in!