RegisterDonateLogin

Side effects may include: nausea, heartburn, and Aing Tii flow-walking.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

SWMGamers Presents: VassalCon 2021, an SWM Experience Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2021 6:56:32 AM
Groups: Member

AceAce wrote:
Obi/Anakin..boarding their ship now for the Champs. Wish them luck

They're gonna need it
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2021 7:29:29 AM

Udorian84 wrote:
Mandos might be easier to play but that doesn't mean that they are better. Some of the other stuff just needs to be played. If someone is practicing some of these other possible things we will see mandos fall

FWIW, as a person who's played Mandos a lot over the past year or two, I can definitely say that they are not easy to play. They have a lot of interesting tricks and options (which is why I like them), but it takes a lot of practice to get a "feel" for them and to really make them work well.

And they're definitely not the best out there. I've got a number of really solid squads in mind for the Championship, and only 2 of them are Mando. I absolutely love where the meta is right now! It seems like you can find or build highly competitive squads from just about every faction, and nothing really seems to have a strangle-hold on the meta. I think the Championship will be REALLY exciting this year! Anything could happen.
Udorian84
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 10:00:30 AM

thereisnotry wrote:

And they're definitely not the best out there. I've got a number of really solid squads in mind for the Championship, and only 2 of them are Mando.

SCARY!!
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 10:18:50 AM

Udorian84 wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

And they're definitely not the best out there. I've got a number of really solid squads in mind for the Championship, and only 2 of them are Mando.

SCARY!!

just hope he doesn't play his favorite jedi....Mace Windu aka Critdu. Scared RollEyes
Udorian84
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 11:06:55 AM

What is the protocol for turning in squads and maps and things for this event?
Do we reveal them the day of? Need to send them to someone by a certain time? Etc?

Udorian84
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 11:08:32 AM

Mando wrote:
Udorian84 wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

SCARY!!

just hope he doesn't play his favorite jedi....Mace Windu aka Critdu. Scared RollEyes

No disintegrations takes care of that.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 11:59:34 AM

I assume standard 75 min Vassal rounds for most events?
UrbanShmi
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 2:25:50 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

TimmerB123 wrote:

Yes
Udorian84
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 2:49:01 PM

There are moments of anticipation in which you get "Butterflies" in your stomach. They are a mixture of excitement, anxiety, courage, and a sense of the unknown. Often times it is about your upcoming performance. You want to perform well. The greatest feeling is having butterflies and you perform well enough for them to settle down. You know you belong. You might not win, but you are competing.
Such is the feeling i am experiencing at the moment while I try and figure out my squad and what to play and a how to play it.
Gotta find that squad that can compete against anything. So tough! This community had made such an impossible game. Anarchy lives in my stomach as the butterflies don't know what to do. It is a fantastic puzzle to figure out. I keep scrapping armies for something new, just to settle, just to find something new.
150 PT squad! Forget about it! Just as impossible.
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 4:31:31 PM

Udorian84 wrote:
There are moments of anticipation in which you get "Butterflies" in your stomach. They are a mixture of excitement, anxiety, courage, and a sense of the unknown. Often times it is about your upcoming performance. You want to perform well. The greatest feeling is having butterflies and you perform well enough for them to settle down. You know you belong. You might not win, but you are competing.
Such is the feeling i am experiencing at the moment while I try and figure out my squad and what to play and a how to play it.
Gotta find that squad that can compete against anything. So tough! This community had made such an impossible game. Anarchy lives in my stomach as the butterflies don't know what to do. It is a fantastic puzzle to figure out. I keep scrapping armies for something new, just to settle, just to find something new.
150 PT squad! Forget about it! Just as impossible.

You'll do great! ThumpUp
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 6:59:38 PM

UrbanShmi wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

Yes

So I am also assuming that TILE WARS and the JC 100pt will be less?

The "Official" TILE WARS rules states that under 30 min is a 3pt win, 31-45 min is a 2pt win, and over 45 min is a double loss. (TILE WARS specifically is a kill 'em all format. There is no "being ahead on points after time is up". It's the way the game was always meant to be played. It only ends when one player has no characters left on the board)

We are adding +15min for Vassal games in general, so my suggestion as one of the founders of TILE WARS would be doing the same for both those tournaments.

Fully destroy the opponents squad in less than 45 min = 3pt win
Fully destroy the opponents squad in 46 - 60 min = 2pt win
Game not over after 60 min? Double Loss - both 0 pts (this really should NEVER happen)
(1pt loss is the same as always.)

That said - I will go with whatever the TOs say.

Separate question - will we be keeping our own time on matches?
Udorian84
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 8:14:36 PM

How do I know which tiles on Vassal are legal for the Dynamic Duo?
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 8:24:54 PM

Udorian84 wrote:

TimmerB123 wrote:
Also - here's a link to TILE WARS rules. It has the legal list of tiles, so that's also relevant to the 100pt Jedi Challenge

https://www.swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=336&t=7032
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 8:28:42 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Just a reminder that all the vset 22 pieces that just dropped are not legal for this weekend.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 8:35:59 PM

For those who didn't see - MonkHung (who I don't think I know) has added more channels on the SWM Discord Server!

"@everyone It has been brought to my attention that more voice channels are needed. You will notice a few changes in the voice channels section... I have updated the category names and have increased the number of "Match Lobby" voice channels to a total of 10. I have also added a "Tournament Play (Voice)" category which houses 5 voice channels. I decided to label them using the Aurebesh alphabet from star wars. This should suffice. Please, feel free to reach out if you need anything."

Awesome!

So that will hopefully be enough to host voice for all games (if we decide to use it as the home base for VassalCon, and I don't see why we wouldn't unless something else has already been set up)

I am not running this, but my guess is that Discord will not be *REQUIRED*, but STRONGLY ENCOURAGED. It makes everything SO MUCH EASIER.

If you don't have Discord - it is FREE! Download it, get a screen name, join our group!
Udorian84
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 8:38:26 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Udorian84 wrote:

TimmerB123 wrote:
Also - here's a link to TILE WARS rules. It has the legal list of tiles, so that's also relevant to the 100pt Jedi Challenge

Woopsie, didnt see that last part. I am not playing in the TILE Wars themselves, so I might have skipped it.

Thanks!
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 8:55:48 PM

Udorian84 wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
Udorian84 wrote:

TimmerB123 wrote:

Woopsie, didnt see that last part. I am not playing in the TILE Wars themselves, so I might have skipped it.

Thanks!

Why not!?! TILE WARS is SUCH a BLAST!!! It's like a SWM Cage Match!
Udorian84
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 9:13:01 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Udorian84 wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
Udorian84 wrote:

TimmerB123 wrote:

Thanks!

Why not!?! TILE WARS is SUCH a BLAST!!! It's like a SWM Cage Match!

Sadly I will be busy. I did play test some Tile Wars and it was an absolute blast.
I am going to be there all day Thursday and as of right now I will be at the championship on Saturday.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 8:03:58 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
UrbanShmi wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

Yes

So I am also assuming that TILE WARS and the JC 100pt will be less?

The "Official" TILE WARS rules states that under 30 min is a 3pt win, 31-45 min is a 2pt win, and over 45 min is a double loss. (TILE WARS specifically is a kill 'em all format. There is no "being ahead on points after time is up". It's the way the game was always meant to be played. It only ends when one player has no characters left on the board)

We are adding +15min for Vassal games in general, so my suggestion as one of the founders of TILE WARS would be doing the same for both those tournaments.

Fully destroy the opponents squad in less than 45 min = 3pt win
Fully destroy the opponents squad in 46 - 60 min = 2pt win
Game not over after 60 min? Double Loss - both 0 pts (this really should NEVER happen)
(1pt loss is the same as always.)

That said - I will go with whatever the TOs say.

Separate question - will we be keeping our own time on matches?

Bump for TOs
AceAce
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 5:37:01 PM

I will be playing (to win) :

Thursday

2:30 PM 150-pt tournament

Details: Standard competitive format. All sets legal up to V-set 21. Current floor rules in effect.

UPDATE: Legal maps will be the current restricted list (Throne Room, Starport District, Starport Terminal, Cantina, Rhen Var Citadel, Bothan Spynet, Outlaw City, Ravaged Base)

7:30 PM 200-pt tournament
Details: Squads must be faction pure, with no Fringe pieces allowed. You may NOT play an all-Fringe squad. Affinity works normally. All other current floor rules in effect.

UPDATE: Legal maps will be Cloud City, off-World Shipping, Starport Terminal, Anchorhead, Rhen Var Citadel, Gangster's Vault, Great Library, Rebel Fortress (Modular Base)

Friday

2:30 PM 150-pt tournament
Details: WOTC-only, current tournament rules

UPDATE: Legal maps will be the current restricted list (see above)

Saturday

4:00PM Championships
Details: The main event. We will play four rounds of Swiss, then cut to a top 4 if there are 12 or fewer players, a top 6 if there are 20 or fewer players, and a top 8 if there are more than 20 players. Standard format with all current V-sets, floor rules, and errata.