DarkDracul
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2021 9:52:58 PM
Groups: Member

urbanjedi wrote:
From the R+R FAQ

Mini FAQ
Special Abilities
Affinity
Q: Savage Oppress has Affinity for characters whose name contains Nightsister, some who are Fringe and can already be in this squad. Does this change their faction to Seperatist.
A: Yes. While they don't need Affinity to be in the same squad, they still benefit from the faction change.
Q: Is the change of faction optional?
A: No.

WAIT . . . WHAT?! Fringe characters join factions now??? ... I thought they didn't even have a Faction to begin with.

Affinity - "That character's faction is now considered to be the same as that squad's."

New designers are constantly being told they can't put Affinity on or for Fringe characters because they have no faction.

You're telling me Nightsister Hunters join a faction and benefit from faction-specific boosts? Confused
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2021 12:16:27 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Must be a FAQ error. That Fringe is not a faction is perhaps the most fundamental principle of the game.
DarkDracul
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2021 9:25:54 AM

So Fringe don't join a faction through Affinity right?
I kinda need to know. 😆
adamb0nd
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2021 2:26:54 PM

I can understand that fringe isn't a faction, but what wording indicates that they can't be changed from no faction to a faction through a rapport effect?

Edit: is it that rapport changes faction, and we're saying there is no faction to change?
DarkDracul
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2021 5:03:51 PM

idk . . . I'm just going to keep bumping this until I get some kind of "official" confirmation.
I need to know before I show up to play with an illegal Affinity loop-hole squad.

e.g. Fringe: Young Han Solo is brought into a New Republic squad through Jaina Solo's Affinity. Is he now New Republic?
Does Chief of State Mon Mothma's CE give Fringe Young Han Solo +1Atk, +1Def, each time a Unique ally is defeated?

While at it, I am also under the impression Affinity doesn't happen until after a character enters a squad.
So would Affinity allow you use New Republic Reinforcements or Rapports with a Fringe Young Han Solo?

swinefeld
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2021 7:14:00 PM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
Must be a FAQ error. That Fringe is not a faction is perhaps the most fundamental principle of the game.

Yes! and even Nickname referred to Fringe Faction in a WotC era FAQ, don't recall specifically where, but it's in there somewhere, exactly once, and not related to Rapport Affinity as I recall. The official WotC (Clone Wars) rulebook does not support Fringe being considered a "faction" in any way. It kinda goes out of it's way to not do that. It talks about "Fringe-only" squads, not FRINGE faction squads.

The current state of the squad builder here will allow a few instances, maybe just Han Gambler. Irrelevant.

This is easily a debatable topic, but it just doesn't make sense that a character that can already be in any squad (with the exception of restrictions, Rival etc) magically stops being Fringe (unaffiliated). Such affiliation belongs on a new version of that character.

It's a Pandora's box that needs to stay closed.

That's my take, and I'm pretty sure all of the Rules Committee members are on the same page.

If not, I guess the debate will continue. shrug

Side note, I have messages piled up and such, not purposely ignoring anyone. I hopped on to work on set 22, so I'm gonna go do that now. Sorry to all those folks, and thanks for your patience. BlooMilk
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2021 7:19:57 PM

No, you can't bring in Young Han Solo with NR Reinforcements or lower his cost with a Rapport only for NR characters.
DarkDracul
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2021 9:05:56 PM

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification.

Kinda sad you can't place a "Separatist" Nightsister on Rancor into gambit during setup with a Haor Chall Engineer.

I'll have to shelve my +10 dam Double Twinning "Sith" Nightsister Hunters with Sith Battlelord squad.

But I'm relieved to know my understanding of the rules wasn't completely off-base all these years. LOL
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2021 10:35:07 PM

DarkDracul wrote:
Awesome! Thanks for the clarification.

Kinda sad you can't place a "Separatist" Nightsister on Rancor into gambit during setup with a Haor Chall Engineer.

I'll have to shelve my +10 dam Double Twinning "Sith" Nightsister Hunters with Sith Battlelord squad.

But I'm relieved to know my understanding of the rules wasn't completely off-base all these years. LOL

Thanks Gandalf for actually answering the question BlooMilk

Total drive-by on my part, but was the 1st thing I saw when I hit the front page... I was like oh **** LOL

Dark D - sorry to rain on your squad, but always appreciate anyone that reads the manual. BlooMilk