RegisterDonateLogin

I have you now!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

MAP PACK 8 IS COMING (PREORDERS are LIVE) Options
Jedicartographer
Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2021 3:01:49 PM
Groups: Member

Hey! Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still making maps! New Maps come out next month!

PREORDER HERE
DarthMaim
Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2021 7:01:49 PM

Greetings kind sir!

First off, let me say how blessed and lucky and fortunate, that SWM has had you designing maps for our beloved game for over more than a decade, and that your maps, are the most amazing and my fav maps that I have ever bought in my entire life. Thank you so much for your dedication, expertise, and excellence in map designing/making. I pretty much own almost every map you have designed for SWM! With that being said, I don't want to spend $45 on maps that I already bought from you, that you have only slightly aesthetically changed. Please break down this new pack;

8 maps :
How many of the maps are brand new designs? How many are previously released, but that you have tweaked? ( I definitely recognize "Frigid Outpost ", as from my fav map of all time, that I've probably played on 100 + times ThumpUp )

Cheers mate BlooMilk
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2021 8:59:13 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Four are definitely all new:

SkyRail Terminal is all new.

Imperial Checkpoint is all new.

Desert Marketplace is all new and will connect to a couple of other maps (Anchorhead and Cantina, I think he said).

Abandoned Temple is all new. Thematically and layout-wise it seems inspired by Korriban (Map Pack 1), Dark Academy (Map Pack 5), and/or Tomb of the Acolytes (Map Pack 5). But it is all its own new thing.

Two are re-makes:

Frigid Outpost is a remake of Rhen Var (Ice World Citadel). The new objects in the middle of gambit will make the new one play very differently from the old one, though. It's a significant change - not like the insignificant change between Theed Palace's two printings. The two Theed versions are treated as interchangeable, but Frigid Outpost and Rhen Var will be counted as two different maps by the map committee.

Ancient War Academy is a remake of Grand Atrium (aka War Academy) from Map Pack 4.

Two others are arguably re-makes but they're all-new maps inspired by older maps. Not straight re-makes the way Frigid Outpost and Ancient War Academy are:

Desert Outpost is a thematic re-make of Jabba's Palace, but the layout is completely different.

Republic Embassy reminds me of Royal Palace (Map Pack 4), but that may just be because of the hallway floor colors and the fact that in both there is a large building taking up the left two-thirds of the map and a courtyard-type area taking up the rest. The layout is completely different in the new map.
DarthMaim
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2021 3:26:26 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:

Desert Marketplace is all new and will connect to a couple of other maps (Anchorhead and Cantina, I think he said).

Abandoned Temple is all new. Thematically and layout-wise it seems inspired by Korriban (Map Pack 1), Dark Academy (Map Pack 5), and/or Tomb of the Acolytes (Map Pack 5). But it is all its own new thing.

Two are re-makes:

Frigid Outpost is a remake of Rhen Var (Ice World Citadel). The new objects in the middle of gambit will make the new one play very differently from the old one, though. It's a significant change - not like the insignificant change between Theed Palace's two printings. The two Theed versions are treated as interchangeable, but Frigid Outpost and Rhen Var will be counted as two different maps by the map committee.

Ancient War Academy is a remake of Grand Atrium (aka War Academy) from Map Pack 4.

Two others are arguably re-makes but they're all-new maps inspired by older maps. Not straight re-makes the way Frigid Outpost and Ancient War Academy are:

Desert Outpost is a thematic re-make of Jabba's Palace, but the layout is completely different.

Republic Embassy reminds me of Royal Palace (Map Pack 4), but that may just be because of the hallway floor colors and the fact that in both there is a large building taking up the left two-thirds of the map and a courtyard-type area taking up the rest. The layout is completely different in the new map.

So essentially, 6 all new maps and 2 remakes? Is that what it is in a nutshell?
Jedicartographer
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2021 5:10:32 AM

Flying Arrow summed it up wonderfully, but I should add the ancient war academy has had some significant updates to the original floor plan, Ice World Citadel as well, but the updates to the war academy are pretty significant in my opinion. It’s much improved. I doubt it would make the restricted list, but it still plays much better.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2021 2:02:32 PM

DarthMaim wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

Two are re-makes:

So essentially, 6 all new maps and 2 remakes? Is that what it is in a nutshell?

Yep.

Let's make this happen. He still needs a bunch more pre-orders.
DarkDracul
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2021 6:04:16 PM

Just preordered 2 map packs! ThumbsUp
DarthMaim
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2021 3:58:06 AM

"Guardian of the Citadel, indeed!"

My $45 order is in!!!!!! Thanks JC ThumbsUp
kezzamachine
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2021 4:28:19 PM

I'm in!
General_Grievous
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2021 6:46:19 AM

I really like how huge-friendly these appear to be in general. I’m in
wannabe mexican
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2021 2:00:48 PM

Man, I wanted to say that I love the look of these maps and want to support, but I don't play the game enough to justify dropping £45 on these maps. What are the chances of there being leftover stock? I am doing what I can to get my kids into the game, and into playing miniatures. But it is a long journey.
Jedicartographer
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2021 4:34:24 PM

wannabe mexican wrote:
Man, I wanted to say that I love the look of these maps and want to support, but I don't play the game enough to justify dropping £45 on these maps. What are the chances of there being leftover stock? I am doing what I can to get my kids into the game, and into playing miniatures. But it is a long journey.

6 months from now, these maps will be totally gone. it's a run of 300 and just about 100 packs have either been ordered or reserved. i understand your position. I can tell you you'll regret spending the money all of 20 minutes, but you'll regret NOT getting the maps forever. Especially when you find them on ebay at ridiculous prices.

AceAce
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2021 6:50:51 AM

Ordered!!!
Darth_Jim
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2021 10:58:45 AM

Me too! And I got your link, Matt... thanks!
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, September 2, 2021 8:08:55 AM

In