RegisterDonateLogin

Comes with a trial size packet of "Bloo-B-Gone" teeth whitener.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Simultaneous end-of-turn effects Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2021 4:10:40 PM
Groups: Member

My game in the Spheres of Influence League with Jim ran into some rules conundrums.

I was playing Venku Skirata and Din Djarin, he was playing Sith Blademasters.

After I was all activated, he based Din with a blademaster, and used his second Sith Blademaster's CE to allow the first blademaster to attack Din. Also since both happen at the end of a different character's turn, I wanted to use Venku's CE to attack the Blademaster. (luckily it didn't matter the order for us, but had one been near death, it might have mattered very much). We did it so Jim completed his attack first, then I did mine. (he was acting player)

A little more sticky was the next round. The blade master attacked Din, bringing him below half health and triggering Tribal intervention. I also wanted to use Counter Push.

Both are triggered by taking damage, so I think they are simultaneous. But who is the "acting player"? It was all happening on the Blademaster's turn, but both abilities are on Din Djarin's card. And again, it didn't really matter here, but it very much could in other cases (who is adjacent to what, when).

Are Counter Push and Tribe Intervention simultaneous? If so, who chooses which order? Din'd abilities, but on the enemy's turn.

Now if this all happened at the end of a turn after Mandos were out activated then it could get nuts. Venku's CE, Blademaster's CE, Tribe Intervention, and Counter push! And order could make a massive difference.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2021 4:30:44 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

No, Counter Push and Tribe Intervention are not simultaneous. They might trigger on the same attack, but they trigger at different times in response to that attack (CP on taking the damage, and TI AFTER).

In the scenario you describe with all four abilities, I would diagram it like this:

Mandos are all activated. One Blademaster is adjacent to an enemy.

Second blademaster ends its turn adjacent to the first, and uses its CE to grant an attack to the first. The person controlling the blademaster is the acting player, so the attack goes through.

Venku's CE triggers, and he uses it to trigger an attack on Din Djarin.

Din Djarin takes damage from the attack.

Din Djarin opts to use Counter Push.

The player controlling Din Djarin checks his HP after taking the damage, and it is below half.

Tribe Intervention triggers.
urbanjedi
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2021 4:34:21 PM

urbanshmi's answer seems correct to me and is how I would rule, unless I am missing something somewhere.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2021 4:49:47 PM

Missed the subtle difference in timing between “when taking damage” and “when hit points are reduced to half or less”

Still does beg the question, who is acting player on effects happening on an enemies turn.

With 2 (actually) simultaneous effects happening on an enemies turn, who chooses order?

Also, does Tribe intervention happen if Din is killed with the shot that does 80+ damage? (A 40dam piece critting)
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2021 5:40:08 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

TimmerB123 wrote:
Missed the subtle difference in timing between “when taking damage” and “when hit points are reduced to half or less”

Still does beg the question, who is acting player on effects happening on an enemies turn.

With 2 (actually) simultaneous effects happening on an enemies turn, who chooses order?

Also, does Tribe intervention happen if Din is killed with the shot that does 80+ damage? (A 40dam piece critting)

I'd have to double-check the Resolving Effects steps, but I'm pretty sure it would. As long as it resolves in a step while he's still in play. It would be the same logic as Presumed Dead going straight from over half hp to 0.

The answer to this original question side-stepped the issue you raised. You were asking about the order in which you resolve things. For simultaneous effects, the acting player decides who "goes first", but if the non-acting player has multiple effects to resolve that player decides the order to resolve their effects. The definition of who is the acting player - it is generally the player whose turn it is, but there are exceptions. For example, when a character is making an attack of opportunity, that character's owner is the acting player even though it's not their turn.

Suppose there are 4 different "when defeated" effects that will trigger when a character is defeated: Impulsive Sweep (Anakin Skywalker), Impulsive Advance (K'Kruhk JM), Rolling Cleave (Domain Lah Subaltern), and Yuuzhan Vong Consul's CE.

A Vong just killed a Republic character and those 4 characters all have effects to resolve. As the acting player, the Vong player decides whether to resolve the Vong abilities first or the Republic abilities first. But the Republic player decides between their own abilities - whether to resolve the Impulsive Sweep or the Impulsive Advance first.