RegisterDonateLogin

Many Bothans died to bring us this Milk...

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

V-set update and announcement Options
Randy
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2022 6:46:55 PM
Groups: Member

I have V-set 24 in hand. Sorting has begun and cards will begin to be mailed out in the US August 1st. Please be sure to donate via PayPal to StarWarsVsetEmail@gmail.com. If you need previous sets let me know. I can sometimes help with that.

The time has come once again for the V-Sets to evolve. Due to the state of things, both globally and personally for everyone involved, the entire process is being reworked. We simply do not have the resources or manpower to continue to create and properly playtest the same number of cards every year. We have also had several players express frustration over not being able to keep up with all of the characters being produced. After many discussions it has been decided that the number of characters per year will be reduced to 54. This will include a small set that will be released in February just before the competitive season begins and a large set released on GenCon weekend. None of the figures released at GenCon will be tournament legal until the competitive season ends. The competitive season will be considered closed after the North American Championship, New Zealand Championship, and VassalCon World Championship have all been completed.

In order to simplify the process and reduce the number of problems or missteps made in design the 54 characters will be worked on in 3 phases of 18 characters per phase. In each phase 4 designers will work to complete 4 character designs. An active designer may continue to work on 2 phases in a row if they are putting in the work and helping the team complete the characters. Each phase will also include a character designed by a championship winner.

I know what you are thinking. “That’s only 17 characters.” In order to fill the last spot within a phase we are looking at doing something very different. The last spot in any phase will be a character submitted by a play tester. Within any given phase, if you do 3 or more playtests, at the end of the phase you can submit a character to the design team. Be sure to include a brief description of what you are specifically hoping to accomplish with the character and maybe even a suggested squad you think it would work well in. The play tester submissions will be reviewed by the design team and voted on. One of those characters will be added to the setlist for the next phase. It will then go through the same vetting process of any other character. It will be used in play tests and tweaked according to play test input. The final version of the character will be released in the next wave of cards.

Play testing is currently open for the 2023 V-Sets. You can send me a Bloomail to get information on what to playtest.
Caedus
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2022 6:12:06 AM

I think this is great! A more workable list for the few designers, and even fewer playtesters, can (not will) help eliminate the possibility of crazy brokenness getting through. It also incentivizes playtesters old and new to give it a go. We don't need 66 characters a set. We aren't a player base of tens of thousands anymore we are a player base of hundreds. Great Job guys
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2022 1:44:05 PM

this a good change! i'm excited to see the play testers getting some ideas in for design pieces! i feel like this new process will lead to better quality sets and more testing of pieces so that we can avoid broken mechanics/squads
DarkDracul
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2022 9:44:44 PM

Great conversation on this topic tonight on Sith Holonews starting at 1:13:03
https://app.talkshoe.com/episode/20118569

Enjoy!
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2022 7:36:52 AM

DarkDracul wrote:
Great conversation on this topic tonight on Sith Holonews starting at 1:13:03
https://app.talkshoe.com/episode/20118569

Enjoy!
Yes, it was a good discussion. I've always been a proponent of smaller set-sizes; as I recall, I was one of the first people to be urging that the initial 72-piece V-Sets be cut down to 54, and then several years later to 36. Personally, I'd be fine if we only made 36 cards per year, but at this point I think 54 per year is a very good spot to be.

I'm also a major fan of the playtester-designed pieces; anything to incentivise and thank our playtesters is a good move, in my book.

I want to offer some clarification about how the SW Imperial Assault v-set process works (they call it the IACP..."IA Community Project"), since I was the one who initially described it to Randy.
--There is a group of designers (I think there are 4 of them) who head up the IACP; they come up with the new designs and all of the official changes go through the design team. People on this team, along with some others, also handle communications with the community, manage the website, write articles, and manage the graphic design of new cards, etc.
--The year is broken up into a rotation of seasons: Competitive Seasons and Playtesting Seasons. Whenever a new set of cards is released for playtesting (they're currently in Season 7), that begins a Playtesting Season, during which the entire community has access to all the cards.
--During a Competitive Season, it operates largely as we do, with competitive tournaments (with prizes), Swiss rounds, etc. There are also Competitive Leagues, which basically function as a single-day tournament that is spread out over several weeks.

--During a Playtesting Season, all of the tools are updated (I created and maintain the IA Vassal mod, someone else does the same for the TTS mod, someone else maintains a squad-builder app) with the new stuff.
----A Playtesting League begins, during which players have scheduled games in which they try out the new cards and try their best to come up with broken combos and interactions.
----Statistics are tracked for each new card (frequency of usage, win %, etc) and players are encouraged to submit their thoughts and have discussion (via the community's Slack channel) on anything being playtested. This is frequently where the solution is found: for example, the new Din Djarin was winning too often, and it turns out that he needed his Damage toned down by 1pt and one of his abilities adjusted, and now he's properly balanced.
----During a Playtesting Season there are 3 phases, at which point mid-season tweaks are announced (and the tools updated again), so that players can playtest the new version to determine if the tweak was effective.
----At the end of the Playtesting Season a Playtest Survey is sent out to the whole community, where players vote on each new card (which has often been tweaked via playtesting in some way), either to approve it exactly as is, or to not approve it (if they don't approve it then they're asked to indicate why...usually because it's either too strong or too weak). I think the margin for approval is 70% for each card; any card that has a high enough approval rating becomes official. If a card is not approved then, depending on the reasons why that is the case, it is either postponed for more changes in an upcoming Playtest Seaon or scrapped and started from scratch.
----Once a card is approved then it is approved forever and is usable in all Seasons (Competitive or Playtesting) going forward. But if it later becomes apparent that a card needs adjustments--either because it has too much synergy with a new design or because it just turns out to be underwhelming--then the community is asked if they'd like to tweak it. This is relatively easy to do, since all the cards are electronically supplied, and people print their own cards.
----All of the changes ultimately come through the design team (because too many cooks spoil the broth), but the team is extremely receptive to community input and frequently draws its solutions directly from playtester suggestions.

I no longer play IA, but I've been keeping up with it from the outside, since I still update the Vassal mod for it. Regardless, if anyone has questions about how this process works then I'd be happy to try to provide answers if I can.
DarthMaim
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2022 5:01:00 PM

Randy wrote:
I have V-set 24 in hand. Sorting has begun and cards will begin to be mailed out in the US August 1st. Please be sure to donate via PayPal to StarWarsVsetEmail@gmail.com. If you need previous sets let me know. I can sometimes help with that.

Impressive. Most impressive..............

Thanks for the update Randy. The guys and I here in So Cal, are excited for set #24! We look forward to getting them in the mail.

May the Force be with us all........................
DarthMaim
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2022 3:29:46 AM

Randy wrote:

Greetings and salutations good sir Randy,

Just wondering if V-set 24 has been sent out already or if you plan on sending them soon? Thanks in advance for an update and for doing what you do ThumpUp
Randy
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2022 6:46:40 AM

I mailed yours on Friday. You should get them this week.
DarthMaim
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2022 11:26:52 AM

Randy wrote:

BlooMilk BlooMilk BlooMilk
kezzamachine
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2022 2:53:46 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Ooo! We need to check in abouts NZ! Its been a while since donations and we have different numbers now.
AdmiralMotti89
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2022 12:06:51 PM

Just got set 24! Great stuff.

No worries on reducing the number of characters per year, I will keep donating. :)

There are more characters per year than I can keep up with anyways. :)

I have an extra Jawa Warlord card if anyone is missing theirs.
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2022 6:20:30 PM

AdmiralMotti89 wrote:
Just got set 24! Great stuff.
Same here. Thanks Randy!
DarthMaim
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2022 3:00:28 AM

Randy wrote:

Bloomilk sent.