RegisterDonateLogin

As wise as Master Yoda, and as powerful as Master Windu.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Bring Balance Back To Star Wars Minis Options
DarthMaim
Posted: Saturday, August 6, 2022 2:24:57 PM
Groups: Member

Greetings and salutations SW minis community,

I have played/collected SW minis since Rebel Storm. Old school, right? This is my 2 cents;

My advice is simple.........move to make the game simpler and easier. There needs to be an injection of new life into the SW community. The main community I see now is on Facebook. A lot Facebook SW minis players, don't want to invest the time it takes to keep up with all the changes. Go back to the basics. Focus more on what Wizards of the Coast made, and not what SWM Gamers and Bloomilk, etc. When games evolve, with rule changes, rule supplements, addendums, character bans, card erratas, etc., people don't understand stuff, get overwhelmed, frustrated, don't have time, and quit.

Focus more on the fun stuff, such as theme play, Wizards of the Coast only type of events, activities that bring out less competitive play, and more fun play. I am not saying eliminate all the competitive stuff completely, or what the virtual sets have established, but make that low priority, for now, until you attract the casual SW minis players from Facebook. Perhaps, Bloomilk, should have a Facebook page? I see waay more SW minis love on Facebook. At this point in time, the casual players, imho, will stop our beloved game, from extinction. "Help us casual Star Wars minis players, you're are only hope".

May the Force continue to be with us all............
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, August 6, 2022 7:00:28 PM

How, exactly, can we involve the Facebook SWM players? Hold tournaments for them? If so, how exactly would that work, since you've shown that these players aren't interested in competitive play (and therefore neither in tournaments)? The thing about casual players...is that they will play casually: on their kitchen table, or doing a themed large-scale themed battle every once in a while with a bunch of people. In other words, what could we offer them that they don't already have?

I'd be fine with WotC-only tournaments/leagues. For example, I'd be happy to play in an order-of-release league on Vassal, where each game is played with the next set released (so Round 1 uses only RS, Round 2 uses RS and CS, Round 3 uses RS, CS and RotS, etc). Things like this would be lots of fun...but I'm not sure that non-competitive players would be very interested. (I'd really like to be proven wrong on this.)

Have you conversed with these FB SWM players to see what they're looking for? I'd be very interested to hear what they have to say, and then see if there's something that we can do to enfold them.

Part of the challenge is that these two--and mostly distinct--communities (competitive players and casual players) have largely self-selected. That is, players who are more keen on tournaments and competitive play have gravitated to Bloomilk and the use of V-Sets for a number of reasons. Likewise, players who are more interested in casual play have largely left BM, and have apparently formed a community on FB--and I say more power to 'em! Each of these players voluntarily chose the community they wanted to join based on their own interests and preferences. Competitive players crave challenge and variety (hence regular V-Set releases), while casual players seem to be more interested in theme battles, army building, and probably other things that I'm not aware of. My point is that there's probably not a lot of shared interest between these groups; sure, both groups enjoy SWM...but they enjoy SWM for very different reasons. If you can show an opportunity for the two communities to come together, then I'd be very interested to see it.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, August 6, 2022 7:52:17 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Themed tournaments are a possibility. Build the squads for everyone beforehand. 8-person tournament. 8 squads that are built to be roughly equivalent. One of the best examples of this was the GenCon tournament that re-created the 2014 (?) top 8 or top 12 squads. Everyone got one of those squads at random and we played the tournament. You could theoretically do that with any squads.

Pre-pandemic I also did that for my "Happy Old Year" tournaments, which ran for 3 or 4 years. I had 8 or 10 pre-built 125 point squads and everyone played one of those squads. With the exception of a couple of people who built their own squads (tint being one of them the year he came down to join us). Those tournaments were from 4 to 8 players (maybe even 10 one year - I forget what it maxed out as). And more than half basically never played Star Wars Minis outside of those tournaments.
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, August 6, 2022 8:54:33 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Themed tournaments are a possibility. Build the squads for everyone beforehand. 8-person tournament. 8 squads that are built to be roughly equivalent. One of the best examples of this was the GenCon tournament that re-created the 2014 (?) top 8 or top 12 squads. Everyone got one of those squads at random and we played the tournament. You could theoretically do that with any squads.

Pre-pandemic I also did that for my "Happy Old Year" tournaments, which ran for 3 or 4 years. I had 8 or 10 pre-built 125 point squads and everyone played one of those squads. With the exception of a couple of people who built their own squads (tint being one of them the year he came down to join us). Those tournaments were from 4 to 8 players (maybe even 10 one year - I forget what it maxed out as). And more than half basically never played Star Wars Minis outside of those tournaments.
If it would bring in more players then I'd be all for some themed tournaments.

I think alternate formats can be cool too: the 225pt LS/DS tournament that apparently happened at GenCon this year, 400pts with 10 or less activations, Epic 500, etc. Whether those tournaments are with WotC-only pieces or some V-Set pieces would be irrelevant, because they would be different enough that they'd bring lots of interest. I'd play in them.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Sunday, August 7, 2022 4:15:11 AM

Additionally, there are those of us who aren't on Facebook (I left mid-2020) and have no desire to be there. To bridge those 2 groups, we'd need people from one group to embrace the social network of the other.

Tint makes a good point. The groups are separate because they choose to be. I wish the best for both... or more... of them.
DarthMaim
Posted: Sunday, August 7, 2022 9:15:42 AM

Darth_Jim wrote:
Additionally, there are those of us who aren't on Facebook (I left mid-2020) and have no desire to be there. To bridge those 2 groups, we'd need people from one group to embrace the social network of the other.

Tint makes a good point. The groups are separate because they choose to be. I wish the best for both... or more... of them.

Hey Jim. Hope that you and your fam are doing good!

From time to time, I briefly talk in chat with people on SWM Facebook that have never heard of bloomilk.com or about the V'Sets. Facebook is a great recruiting ground for anything and everything, not just SWM, of course. There are many new players to SWM, in the Facebook SWM group. Just some basic SWM Facebook group info;

- the SWM group was created 11 years ago
- there are over 4,100 total members
- there were 23 people who joined in the last week
- there were 9 new posts, already so far today ( as of Sunday 9:38am pst ), with 192 posts, in the last 28 days

My point is that Facebook is a super easy way to access many different topics, interests, groups, etc. Obviously being an app, people tend to use it more frequently than using an actual website. I also belong to a separate SWM trading, selling, buying, etc. group there that has over 1,700 members. I also belong to the SW Legion game group there, as well as a few Lord of the Rings game groups as well. This is the way, to greet, meet, recruit, and find new players, that have an interest in SWM, and that could inject new life/fresh blood, into our beloved game.

I wanted to add that I thought the idea of showcasing the 2018 SWM World Championship Final on Facebook was genius! At least 61 people watched it there. This was the first and only 1 done there. I believe that this would have been a great opportunity to continue the momentum to recruit more players, and spread the word about the bloomilk and SWM Gamers communities, especially to the ones that prefer Facebook over SWM Gamers and Bloomilk, or the simple fact, that a lot of people will not hear or find out about them because of not knowing or being introduced to them.

Like in Jim's case, yeah there will be people, for whatever their reasons, that won't want to utilize Facebook, but what has the bloomilk community got to lose?????????? And is there anyone still using SWMGamers.com? IMHO, utilizing both the Facebook and the websites together in unison for promoting SWM's ( leagues, casual/fun play, comps, regionals, champs, new sets, etc. ) could only help our beloved game.

TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, August 7, 2022 5:48:51 PM

I'm a member of the group. There's obviously a lot of interest in the game, but I find it more focused on collecting and maybe customs etc than on actual gameplay. There are barely any play reports or rules questions.

There's also a SWM Reddit that gets a bit of discussion, but talk about V-Sets is banned there.
DarthMaim
Posted: Sunday, August 7, 2022 6:42:27 PM

TheHutts wrote:
I'm a member of the group. There's obviously a lot of interest in the game, but I find it more focused on collecting and maybe customs etc than on actual gameplay. There are barely any play reports or rules questions.

There's also a SWM Reddit that gets a bit of discussion, but talk about V-Sets is banned there.

Maximum respect to you Hutts, but I couldn't disagree with you more. I often see members taking pictures of SWM games that they play and post in the Facebook group. I have posted there in the past as well, and got several compliments and questions about my games. Also, let's try and be positive moving forward. If I could interest even 1 person in playing ( either a beginner or previous player ), that's a win in my book. Are you saying that a collector would never change his or her mind, and get into playing? I'm a glass half-full guy, not a glass half empty one. Let's focus on the positive and have faith in people changing their minds or even learning about and discovering SWM. Awareness, educating, showcasing, word of mouth, generating excitement with other social platforms, and making the game more fun for the more casual players, IMHO, can only, help our beloved game. Nothing is ever set in stone, unless individuals are close minded, and unwilling to embrace change and differences. I myself use the Force. Patience and being mindful, are mind sets that I practice in my everyday life. We all can uplift each other with positive support, thought, practices, and mindsets. I have been pleasantly surprised with many people I've met in my life that have changed their mind in trying something new, after declining my invitations in the past. I personally will continue the positive approach, because I've seen much success in the past ThumpUp
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Sunday, August 7, 2022 6:56:12 PM

I'm also in the Facebook group, and TheHutts' diagnosis seems accurate to me. The Vsets are what make the game interesting for me from a competitive point of view (and casual too), so I'm not interested in focusing on WOTC-only even if that would draw in a few more players.
thereisnotry
Posted: Sunday, August 7, 2022 6:58:03 PM

If you can garner some interest in playing on Vassal (I don't know how else to get people together across vast distances) then I'll do my best to arrange my schedule so that I can play in whatever you can drum up if new players are involved. I'd love to see more people get into the game, so I'll play in some WotC-only events if that's what it takes. If there are even just a few as-of-yet undiscovered competitive SWM players in that group, then I'd love to meet them!

I'm still with the Hutts, in that I'm not real optimistic about our odds of finding new active players, but I'm willing to give it a shot anyway, just to see if we can gain some momentum.

EDIT: Even having said this, I'm still all-in with the V-Sets. V-Sets are where it's at for me. The game is far more interesting with them than it ever was without them.
DarthMaim
Posted: Sunday, August 7, 2022 7:14:46 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
If you can garner some interest in playing on Vassal (I don't know how else to get people together across vast distances) then I'll do my best to arrange my schedule so that I can play in whatever you can drum up if new players are involved. I'd love to see more people get into the game, so I'll play in some WotC-only events if that's what it takes. If there are even just a few as-of-yet undiscovered competitive SWM players in that group, then I'd love to meet them!

I'm still with the Hutts, in that I'm not real optimistic about our odds of finding new active players, but I'm willing to give it a shot anyway, just to see if we can gain some momentum.

EDIT: Even having said this, I'm still all-in with the V-Sets. V-Sets are where it's at for me. The game is far more interesting with them than it ever was without them.

+1 to your open mindedness of "giving it a shot"!

And as the author of this post, let me state for the record;

I have never said one time to get rid of the V-sets. Yes, there are some fantastic sets, that have been put out post-Wizards! I am saying that there are more casual players now that play the game worldwide. Vassal games geared for the less competitive players, I feel would generate more interest, and may attract more players. I think that Facebook is a good place to start to generate activity and interest, and possibly inject some life into the game, by attempting to get the word out. As I feel a lot of people there are unaware of SWGamers, Bloomilk, v-sets, etc., it won't happen overnight, and that we must "be patient", and open to going "old school" some of the time, to attract new players ThumbsUp

Caedus
Posted: Monday, August 8, 2022 6:25:07 AM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
I'm also in the Facebook group, and TheHutts' diagnosis seems accurate to me. The Vsets are what make the game interesting for me from a competitive point of view (and casual too), so I'm not interested in focusing on WOTC-only even if that would draw in a few more players.

+100 It's been more of a marketplace forum than anything these last few years with the occasional Mass Battle pictures. Rule questions do come up from time to time.

I have even sent out Vassal Con posts on bloomilk forums to the group with little to no response after hearing a large gripe about not knowing that Vassal Con was a thing last year, so there is that.
adamb0nd
Posted: Tuesday, August 9, 2022 6:45:00 PM

We have some limitations and security flaws. I hate giving up on this site, because it has a sentimental value, and a level of familiarity. It's also technology, and that comes with certain responsibilities over time- as a host to end users, and as a host to game content. If we want SWM to thrive, we need to make it accessible. Online and at the game table side.

Wishlist.
- Shinja would come back, or give someone else stewardship to bloo.

assuming that wish fails;

-A new mobile friendly and secure site with an accurate and easy to use squad builder. Base it off bloo's design if you want to.
-Have a forum.
-API for community and third party mobile app development.
-Support SSO/OAUTH, so users can log in using their Facebook or gmail accounts.
-Ability to authorize it to comb your bloomilk account to export/import your collection.
-Ability to disable toggle vsets in squad building.
-appropriate staff to address community design input and moderating.

This might be user bias, but I would say most forums are losing their users to facebook, reddit and discord. Intentions of swm community members is vast (current meta, wotc only, sellers, collectors, designers). If we could funnel users there from those other platforms, we could also centralize resources and content.

SWMGamers... i don't know much about it's history behind the scene. Is that site active? Do its owners have any desire to transform it into a modern day swm hub and a bloomilk competitor and replacement? It's already got forums a bunch of historical documents.

Edit:
I say all this with no ability to contribute to development to this sort of thing. But, I see that as the missing key.
Mando
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2022 2:20:35 AM

adamb0nd wrote:

SWMGamers... i don't know much about it's history behind the scene. Is that site active? Do its owners have any desire to transform it into a modern day swm hub and a bloomilk competitor and replacement? It's already got forums a bunch of historical documents.

swmgamers isn't as active as it used to be. When i started playing 15 years ago, i used it more than bloomilk and always went there for forum posts. We used to have huge support for Vassal games on there. Gamers Vassal League for example....man those were fun days! I'd be very very happy to see something like that come back again, but unfortunately out player base has become smaller. It is still possible, but it'd be hard to pull off.

Now its entirely bloomilk's domain for engaging with the community. swmgamers is active as a website tho for those involved with the v-sets design process. We exclusively use that site for that as far as discussion, design and playtesting.
kobayashimaru
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2022 4:38:21 AM

EDITED FOR READABILITY.
Thanks for the 'editorial' suggestion to 'remove the wordsalad." Wilco. LOL

Keep It Stupid Simple - Kobayashi-San!
It's simple -
if you want a WotC-Only era tournie or squads,
make that.
If you want WOTC+VSET, make that,
if you want VASSAL / Tabletopboardgame Emulator or 8bitgamemaker only, go for it.
Whatever floateth the boateth

SWMinis was a supplement to the pre-SAGA edition SWRPG.
Itself, a variant of D20 Modern etc.
It was an awesome lite-SWRPG framework.

It's all SWMinis.
We're spoiled for choice on Star Wars Miniatures Games
we've got SWMinis, SW:Legion, Imperial Assault, the Knight Models, y'know?

And at risk of blasphemy
there's Settlers of Catan,
there's GURPS/Modiphius Trek and Fallout etc,
GW40K KillteamzBarbies etc,
you know, we're spoiled for game options.
General_Grievous
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2022 12:25:56 AM

We are still keeping out quiet pleasant gaming community in the Canadian north going. Actually teaching up some of our kids to play now and so simpler pieces is greatly appreciated. The walls of words work for us super players but CHS be as overwhelming as overwhelming force for new players. So simpler pieces is the thing that would help the most! But we may even play with just some early WOTC sets when teaching kids. It would be nice if there were strong competitive options that new players could play as. Example a 100 point guard tower that has Overwatch and can be set in gambit. They can sit and snipe each round, and maybe even garrison some troops inside it (use for the troops cart!). I also like people with prideful and a good rival locking out the crazy combos but allowing some of the older simpler pieces to be amazing. Too me the Vsets should be primarily focused on making WOTC content playable and top tier while introducing the occasional new character.

Also still wish that my vote of making the First Order and Resistance their own faction would have been much preferred so we could just not play them as a faction entirely instead of trying to sort out who is obscure legit EU Star Wars for us to play and who is from those movies that my group doesn’t talk about anymore…

All that being said keep up the great work! We had another baby so life has been busy lately but nice to see new content (woot fallen order and nightsister zombies!).
DarthMaim
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2022 10:33:11 AM

General_Grievous wrote:
We are still keeping out quiet pleasant gaming community in the Canadian north going. Actually teaching up some of our kids to play now and so simpler pieces is greatly appreciated. The walls of words work for us super players but CHS be as overwhelming as overwhelming force for new players. So simpler pieces is the thing that would help the most! But we may even play with just some early WOTC sets when teaching kids. It would be nice if there were strong competitive options that new players could play as. Example a 100 point guard tower that has Overwatch and can be set in gambit. They can sit and snipe each round, and maybe even garrison some troops inside it (use for the troops cart!). I also like people with prideful and a good rival locking out the crazy combos but allowing some of the older simpler pieces to be amazing. Too me the Vsets should be primarily focused on making WOTC content playable and top tier while introducing the occasional new character.

Also still wish that my vote of making the First Order and Resistance their own faction would have been much preferred so we could just not play them as a faction entirely instead of trying to sort out who is obscure legit EU Star Wars for us to play and who is from those movies that my group doesn’t talk about anymore…

All that being said keep up the great work! We had another baby so life has been busy lately but nice to see new content (woot fallen order and nightsister zombies!).

+1! Love your ideas GG ThumpUp
donnie72191
Posted: Saturday, September 3, 2022 9:53:12 AM

The V sets have got to go. It is hard to grow the game when u can just print out the best pieces. Also, does anyone still ply the game in the PHilly area?
Darth_Jim
Posted: Saturday, September 3, 2022 10:20:25 AM

I'm in Mechanicsburg Pa and I have no qualms about playing WotC only squads but I am a firm believer that despite some of the questionable designs that the V Sets overall have kept the game alive.
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, September 3, 2022 11:10:42 AM

Darth_Jim wrote:
I'm in Mechanicsburg Pa and I have no qualms about playing WotC only squads but I am a firm believer that despite some of the questionable designs that the V Sets overall have kept the game alive.
100%! Without the V-Sets, competitive play would've stopped long ago.

As for 'growing the game'...what kind of growth are we talking about here?
--The game has been out of print for 10 years so there are ZERO places where you can find reasonably priced minis or boosters, and therefore it is not at all feasible to bring a new player into the game unless he already has a collection.
--If the new player does have a collection, then what would 'growing the game' look like? Are we talking about bringing that player into actually playing the game (rather than just collecting it)? If so, then the best way to do that is to play in the format that he prefers most: mass battles, themed (Ewoks vs Stormtroopers, Droids vs Clones, etc), or possibly constructed play. And the only way to see what he likes best is to ask him, or perhaps try out various formats with him to see what he enjoys most. If he finds that he likes constructed the most, then let him get familiar with all the WotC pieces (see my note below); if he's still into it after getting familiar with it, then start to introduce the V-Sets, 1 set at a time.

In short, I'm not sure how the V-Sets get in the way of that process, in any way. I think it's foolish to introduce V-Set pieces to a new player...you're almost guaranteed to overwhelm him.

For a while, I have said that I'd be happy to play in WotC-only events or leagues (without V-Sets) if there are people who want to learn the game. Nevertheless, I do think that the game is far better, more balanced, and more interesting with the V-Sets than without.

As for how to introduce someone to constructed (and eventually, competitive) play.... Here's how I introduced my kids to the game: 1 WotC set at a time, in order of release.
--First we looked through all of the Rebel Storm set and the various pieces that were most fun to use. We built a few squads and played a few games that way.
--Then we introduced Clone Strike and got familiar with those pieces (Aurra Sing was an absolute monster!).
--Then RotS, then UH, etc.
--Along the way I showed them some of the top squads at the time (original B&B), how counters developed (San Hill and the power of activation control, etc). Eventually, they discovered their own combos and squad ideas, and they were good to go.
--Unfortunately, Fortnight was released around that time, and life has gone entirely downhill since then. Nevertheless, it was working really well and my kids were loving the game.